• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

POLL: How Useful Are GQ and DETAILS Magazines To You?

Nuff said

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsqfunk
There is more good stuff in a Men's Ex or Leon before the masthead, than in an entire GQ, etc.

QFT

Once you buy a couple of Japanese mags you won't go back to Details & GQ. It's like comparing Converse with Crockett & Jones. You don't need to speak Japanese - the photos and illustrations are all you require.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nexus6
True.
Also, the models are usually way too young to even be able to afford any of it in the first place,
unless they are spending daddys money (doubtful),
and even if they get the money, they still have nowhere to go in these clothes.

By no meaning of the word sense does that make any!

Guero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
+1 One of the most annoying things it to flip through a GQ spread and read what the guy is wearing. Sometimes it will be "Suit, $200 from H&M, shirt, $850 from Armani, shoes, $1600 from Dolce and Gabanna, and Tie, $45 from J. Crew" and it just leaves you thinking that no one who wore an H&M suit would go buy an Armani shirt for 4x the price. They obviously just combine random **** that the fashion houses give them.

Eh, while I agree with your conclusion about the source of the clothes, I'm not sure I agree that mixing high and low is a bad thing. If I like something, I like it. I'm wearing a Richard James suit and JM Weston derbies to a meeting tomorrow with a shirt I got at BR for $13 and a $25 Kent Wang pocket square. I like the shirt as much as any of the other stuff.

Also, someone else made the point, and I agree, that while there is a heavy emphasis on fashion, these are lifestyle magazines and often include useful stuff on restaurants, travel, etc. Details skews a little young for my taste, but it would be useful to a guy in his 20's.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
By no meaning of the word sense does that make any!
Emmanuel?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If someone is young they are either broke or they have money because of daddy? Come on...

Nexus6

Reaction score
well...young people working part time are not going to pay $$$ for the extreme expensive stuff are they?

I mean when I was that age (teens-20's), it didn't matter what you wore,
one was only trying to get laid, and everyone was equally broke,
and it didn't matter because we knew how to relate with one another.

Very few young people are using their intelligence....a mere handful.
the majority can put on a good show...for a few minutes,
then it all falls apart.
Young people today cannot pull up their pants. they spit and mumble and rap, and no one understands anything.
They are incapable of an original thought; have a 3 second attention span,
and a 300 word vocabulary,
and I haven't begun to even judge them.
These are straight-forward observations that are painfully obvious to anyone who has eyes to see it.

What money they may earn, they would rather buy food & booze, condoms & drugs than fine clothing.

There are always the exceptions..but they are the exceptions, not the majority.

Seriously, even this website represents a great minority.
Maybe one day that will change, and I certainly hope the popularity of websites like this grows.
But today is not that day.
What more can I say?
confused.gif

Nexus6

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
But there are exceptions. Thats all I wanted...

Sorry for any misunderstanding

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nexus6;1967736 said:
True.
Also, the models are usually way too young to even be able to afford any of it in the first place,
unless they are spending daddys money (doubtful),
and even if they get the money, they still have nowhere to go in these clothes.

/QUOTE]

WTF?
confused.gif

yoshii

Reaction score
i'll sometimes flick through GQ to kill time if there's a newsagent/bookstore around.
There's sometimes a few interesting things in there, but as most have said most of the pages are ads.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nuffsaid was right about the Japanese fashion magazines...
They tend to be very exhaustive and extremely well-documented...
Some Japanese guys have also real shoe libraries with brilliant pictures...
The Japanese Dandies know their stuff not only from one or two main countries...
For shoes , they like Santoni ,Bontoni ,Sutor, Jm Weston ,Corthay,Gomez,Carmina,Church,Berluti ,EG,John Lobb,Crockett,Foster,Gaziano,Cleverley and so on....
They know their stuff

Nexus6

Reaction score
Can anyone share any links for the Japanese websites related to those Japan fashion magazines?
I agree, even the pictures alone wil be worth a look

tokyodandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Nuffsaid was right about the Japanese fashion magazines... They tend to be very exhaustive and extremely well-documented...
Japanese men have a massive tendency towards being anally retentive and the fashion mags are the kind of thing they do well - like you say, they're exhaustive. On the other hand I often will look at something in Men's EX [edit - or Men's Club, or both] and wonder what they were thinking; sometimes they just don't seem to realise that there is a difference between being eclectic and being a mess. Also the editors are fixated on middle-aged Italian men who all seem to wear ultra-short trousers that only come down to their ankles. Just not my thing but, if I am to believe Men's EX wearing anything else would be a grave and possibly unforgiveable mistake. I refuse to read Leon on principle. No mag that proclaims - without a hint of irony - that its aim is to make middle-aged salarimen attractive to young women can ever be cool. TD

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads