• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions.....

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gents,

Going to be getting a nice burnt orange macclesfield tie soon. Thinking of what pocket square to buy. The obvious option is one with a hint of orange, but would there be any complementing colours I could go for?

Initially was thinking something like:

http://www.monsieurfox.com/collections/pocket-squares/products/damascus-square

http://www.monsieurfox.com/collections/pocket-squares/products/peacock-dancers

How about this one? Great colors!

http://www.monsieurfox.com/collections/pocket-squares/products/green-and-blue-1

Last edited:

Gavinband

Reaction score
Of course pics shall be posted!

That's a nice one, too. Just a very neat pattern which might be a bit matchy with the Sam hober neat Macclesfield pattern. May order that for my blazer look though!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't mind blue on blue. There is also this: http://www.kentwang.com/pocket-squares/shinagawa.html
It's often my go to for green ties, especially if I'm in a hurry. Also these would work http://www.kentwang.com/pocket-squares/departure-herald.html http://www.kentwang.com/pocket-squares/edo-castle.html
What do you think of this one with a Navy suit and green tie:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you're a puff kinda guy, it might get lost on a navy background. If you're a points-and-puff kinda guy, the yellow would be pretty bold.

WilliamBlake

Reaction score
What is the opinion of a white linen or cotton square with a solid light blue or blue with a pattern that doesn't include white? I have some shirt/tie combos that I have trouble complementing with my current square selection.

MTB-85

Reaction score

What is the opinion of a white linen or cotton square with a solid light blue or blue with a pattern that doesn't include white? I have some shirt/tie combos that I have trouble complementing with my current square selection.

If in doubt leave it out. Or white linen... :)

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holland and Holland has just released some new 'Big Game' squares based on the work of Marcello Pettineo.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holland and Holland has just released some new 'Big Game' squares based on the work of Marcello Pettineo.

I'd rather have a pair of Carmina shoes than a pocket square. Charging £295 for a pocket square is ridiculous, salacious and borders to hybris.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DR you should
Quote: I'd rather have a pair of Carmina shoes than a pocket square. Charging £295 for a pocket square is ridiculous, salacious and borders to hybris.

Then you won't be interested in their shotguns.

I do find them beautiful though. Love the teal in the decorative flowers.

Last edited:

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like designs that just take a pattern and then flip and mirror it across 4 sides, like a kaleidoscope.

£295 is the highest price I've ever seen. I would imagine (or hope) that most of that money is going to the artist. In that case, you could consider it like any print you would buy from an artist.

Entrepreneur

Reaction score
I have been thinking about the size lately.
1f605.png
Some say the bigger the better and others tell the opposite. I have enjoyed my silk handkerchief as 13"x13". Aren't bigger sizes like 16-18" just too big? What do you gentlemen think, when it comes to silk squares, what is the ideal size of a top notch square?

MTB-85

Reaction score
I have been thinking about the size lately.
1f605.png
Some say the bigger the better and others tell the opposite. I have enjoyed my silk handkerchief as 13"x13". Aren't bigger sizes like 16-18" just too big? What do you gentlemen think, when it comes to silk squares, what is the ideal size of a top notch square?
13" for wool for sure!
I have NO need for extra fabric in my pocket with Drake's 17" 90/10% wool/silk (they are still lovely though)

Soft silk squares can be 13" or 17" - It's much easier to work with and I haven't had problems with the larger silk squares.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads