• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me....quick!!

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
The edit function is not working for me tonight. Please ignore the double negative in the second to last sentence.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
For 5 minutes. Until they drive through Silverlake or she picks up a fashion mag and completely recalibrates her cool-o-meter. Her tastes will probably be completely different within 20 minuntes of landing in LA. My girlfriends sister is the exact same age and has the most fickle, flighty tastes I have ever seen. If he doesn't want to not embarass her, he is wasting his money buying something that is on its last legs in terms of being style acceptable. Faded jeans are about at the same place that acid wash was in 1995.

You've just described EXACTLY why I think he should go get one pair of lightly distressed upscale mall jeans. She'll be happy when she sees him, and then, when they land in LA, she'll see how she wants to make her dad over, and that will give them something to shop for. But for him to say "trust me, these are cool in LA" is silly, she'll never believe it. Best to get something really safe, which can still be worn at home, btw, and then go from there. And, FWIW, the vast majority of guys I see walking around the parts of LA they'll be visiting are in pre-distressed mall jeans, from 7s to Diesel, to TR, to RR, to Genetic.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
That is some big-picture thinking. I had no idea you had put so much thought into this. So you think he should spend out on some 7's to keep his daughter happy on the flight out and then buy some new denim at HTC or Stronghold when they arrive to further suspend her embarrassment for a little longer until she develops a more nuanced sense of individual style? That would work. A little expensive, but it would work.

Though I still think that any father walking around in faux-fades is going to look like a total douchebag these days. Seattle is not exactly on the fashion tip but people don't even get away with that here and they never should have.

I've posted enough in this thread. I don't know the guy or his daughter. He probably thinks it's strange that his post spawned a debate. OP, be confident and you will be fine. Never, ever let your daughter dictate what you wear or make you feel conspicuous for wearing what you are comfortable and confident in.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For 5 minutes. Until they drive through Silverlake or she picks up a fashion mag and completely recalibrates her cool-o-meter. Her tastes will probably be completely different within 20 minuntes of landing in LA. My girlfriends sister is the exact same age and has the most fickle, flighty tastes I have ever seen. If he doesn't want to not embarass her, he is wasting his money buying something that is on its last legs in terms of being style acceptable. Faded jeans are about at the same place that acid wash was in 1995.
I have a 15 yo niece. If I dressed in a way she thought to be "cool", I'd be too embarassed to be seen in public.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is some big-picture thinking. I had no idea you had put so much thought into this. So you think he should spend out on some 7's to keep his daughter happy on the flight out and then buy some new denim at HTC or Stronghold when they arrive to further suspend her embarrassment for a little longer until she develops a more nuanced sense of individual style? That would work. A little expensive, but it would work.

Though I still think that any father walking around in faux-fades is going to look like a total douchebag these days. Seattle is not exactly on the fashion tip but people don't even get away with that here and they never should have.

Two things you need to remember: 14yr old girls are not, and never will be, rational beings, and in LA, 36 is the new 22, and style-wise, he'll fit right in.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A different option than "Amjacking it for your daughter" might be to take your existing style and kick it up a notch to something a bit trendier:

andre__andre_3000__benjamin5.jpg

andre__andre_3000__benjamin2.jpg

andre3000_wideweb__430x305.jpg

andre3000.jpg

andre3.jpg

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, why are we thinking that his daughter won't think raw/dark denim is cool? Isn't dark denim what's "in" nowadays?

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PG2G
So, why are we thinking that his daughter won't think raw/dark denim is cool? Isn't dark denim what's "in" nowadays?

I think that in school age kids it may have a small niche, but I'm pretty sure distressed jeans still dominate.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Considering NL, her style reference, I just assumed. Also, I feel as though LA and NY denim trends haven't really hit New England yet, where the "Bro" look (super distressed 7s, black cement block shoes, and ill-fitting striped shirt) is still in. I would, however, advocate for darker denim, though not necessarily raw.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd just take a trip over to American Rag. They have the best collection of denim in LA, so you should be able to find something you like. They should have a lot of the trendy brands that we don't like so much, as well as some of the forum favorites.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd just take a trip over to American Rag. They have the best collection of denim in LA, so you should be able to find something you like. They should have a lot of the trendy brands that we don't like so much, as well as some of the forum favorites.

Good call. I'd probably include that on the Melrose/Fred Segal day, because it's in the right general area if you start out at CC and then begin heading East on Melrose (once it starts up in WeHo).

Reaction score
Wow!! Lots of great information aobve and I really appreciate it.
We headed out to the mall and a couple of little shops last night. I picked up a nice pair of Diesel jeans, very dark denim and they are supposedly a slim fit but they are not tight..which is fine by me. Shirts were a little less difficult than I anticipated, picked up a couple of Lacoste polos in vibrant colors and also a couple of nice Calvin Klein button ups.
Shoes, thats where the daughter and I had the hardest time deciding. I actually picked up two pairs, one a suede driving moc and last but not least....a pair of very sleek and dressy square toed boots black. The boots are not the big, chunky looking things I have seen but a much more refined look. I think we did okay so far. I am really looking forward to this trip and all that we will be doing.
I sincerely appreciate all the advice and the time that was taken in helping me out. Thanks and I will most definately report back with the results of the trip!!

P.S. This look is so far from what I am used to but I think I could really get into the whole denim thing!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dazedandconfused
Wow!! Lots of great information aobve and I really appreciate it.
We headed out to the mall and a couple of little shops last night. I picked up a nice pair of Diesel jeans, very dark denim and they are supposedly a slim fit but they are not tight..which is fine by me. Shirts were a little less difficult than I anticipated, picked up a couple of Lacoste polos in vibrant colors and also a couple of nice Calvin Klein button ups.
Shoes, thats where the daughter and I had the hardest time deciding. I actually picked up two pairs, one a suede driving moc and last but not least....a pair of very sleek and dressy square toed boots black. The boots are not the big, chunky looking things I have seen but a much more refined look. I think we did okay so far. I am really looking forward to this trip and all that we will be doing.
I sincerely appreciate all the advice and the time that was taken in helping me out. Thanks and I will most definately report back with the results of the trip!!

P.S. This look is so far from what I am used to but I think I could really get into the whole denim thing!

You have been officially taken by the SF.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrankskly