• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pitti Uomo 83: Classic Menswear Edition

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No, it is actual the outside of alligator/crocodile leather which got sanded or sand-blasted to achieve a matte finish.

Anyone in London who wants to see the suede-alligator hide, should go into the Burberry flagship store in
Regent Street. They have a man's trench coat on a dummy, made entirely from sueded alligator.

(I did not enquire about the price, presumably the cost of a medium-sized town house. :D)

Last edited:

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While Styleforvm has undoubtably increased the popularity (and possibly cost) of a few "artisan" (I hate that word) providers, the creep in material prices and labor costs are primarily to blame IMO. In Italy, for example, the CPI has gone up nearly 4.0% since 2008, tax law is more rigidly enforced these days, etc. in the same time period wool has gone up nearly 25%. Cotton decreased this year but spiked last year.

I am not sure the 50 or so clothes nerds who regularly frequent this site can take credit for price increases anyway. Drakes was expensive well before SF - I paid $125 for a Drakes tie back in 1997, I think. Chan was getting rich off of HK expats in the 70's, before William Gibson even invented the term "cyberspace." His prices have gone up as his popularity increased, but I'd argue that's a general Internet - and not #menswearweb - phenomenon, caused more by the easy flow of previously inaccessible (or at least difficult to find) information.

I can't speak for Liverano as I know nothing about the shop, but again I thnk it's probably the marketing prowess of the Armoury guys, and not the forums, that have helped goose his popularity.

We forumites give ourselves too much credit, I think. if anything, i think the most we can take credit for is mucking up small shops with a temporary, but finite, deluge of orders (The Great Ambrosi Pants FlameWar of 2011 comes to mind). Any provider that jacks their prices based on the temporary rush resultant from the lemming-like habits of the SF crowd . . . well, that provider is going out of business. After all, how many pairs of pants or bespoke suits can the 5 real bespoke-ballers on SF actually buy?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much transparency we as consumers really have a right to expect from private enterprises. Although I speculate about profit margins, too, I have to think the answer is little to none. As a customer, I appreciate retailers and makers who pay lip service to "value," but I'm pretty sure luxury goods guys will stay in business without me.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know about other things, or about this really, but I have heard that cotton and wool prices increased significantly in the past few years. Would be nice to confirm if and by how much they went up and if they've stayed up.

Apparently not for Men's Wearhouse and Joseph A Bank.
The crap they sell still uses cotton and wool ( and polyester )

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if something is nice. its worth the price. :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Evidently Peter Jackson has begun filming Silmarillion. The first scenes were shot in Pitti Uomo.

no joke, so far these are my fave guys from pitti.
--
fok - your wife looks lovely
--
unbel - hope you are having fun, im jelly.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That picture is totally cool because it's evident those guys are just goofballs having fun. If someone tried to be serious while wearing one of those hats it would be a sad story indeed. That's the biggest problem with a lot of these guys, they have this scowl like they're on their way to court in their lime green over check double breasted suit fastened by the jigger and unbuckled shoes. A smile would go a long way with some of these types.

Last edited:

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That picture is totally cool because it's evident those guys are just goofballs having fun. If someone tried to be serious while wearing one of those hats it would be a sad story indeed. That's the biggest problem with a lot of these guys, they have this scowl like they're on their way to court in their lime green over check double breasted suit fastened by the jigger and unbuckled shoes. A smile would go a long way with some of these types.

I'll just leave these here...

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:slayer:

EMart - yup

also, their awesome beards also give them instant cred in my book. :)

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those hats are just awful. My grandmother used to wear those when she would be tending to her gardens.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys are missing the point. Those guys are clearly cheesin' and laughing at people taking them seriously.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those two could work in the outback . . . . or some redneck canadian province

Quote:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads