• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People who watch The Wire

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Really, Clay Davis is the best at his signature line? You think so, professor?
You're an idiot. Tons of characters do it, I was merely drawing a comparison.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
It's my favorite season, but I can understand why people would rank it last. Its storylines are definitely the most detached from the rest of the seasons.

Most of the main characters in Season 2 don't appear in any of the other seasons, sans Vondas and The Greek. Other than that, you only got a few cameos -- Nicky at Carcetti's speech by the pier or a quick flash of Frank Sobotka's picture in the series-finale montage.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Towards the end of Season 2, when McNulty and Bunk are scoping out Stavros, they notice how he's dressed and comment on the buttons of his blazer. McNulty notes how Stavros is very aware of his appearance.

McNulty: (to Bunk) "You know, they have a name for people like that."
Bunk: "Yeah--grownups."

Season 2 was the ****. I can't wait to start the next season tomorrow.

bc78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FiveFiveFive
It's my favorite season, but I can understand why people would rank it last. Its storylines are definitely the most detached from the rest of the seasons.

Most of the main characters in Season 2 don't appear in any of the other seasons, sans Vondas and The Greek. Other than that, you only got a few cameos -- Nicky at Carcetti's speech by the pier or a quick flash of Frank Sobotka's picture in the series-finale montage.

My favorite season is 4. I'd probably rank them 4,3,1,2,5. That said, the worst season of the Wire is better than another shows best season.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bc78
My favorite season is 4. I'd probably rank them 4,3,1,2,5. That said, the worst season of the Wire is better than another shows best season.

big love is up there as 2nd greatest show

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Five was weaker than the rest, but I call the first four a dead heat. The last suffered from a shorter season - a couple more hours to stretch things might have made them less outlandish.

Nananine

Reaction score
I liked 5 a lot. Maybe it's because I'm a reporter, maybe because it was hilarious to see Tom McCarthy (of The Visitor and The Station Agent fame) act like a such a reprehensible prick.

Don't ask me to rank my seasons. To me, The Wire is a single, very long movie that happens to span five seasons with intermissions after every hour.

wiru

Reaction score
Bill Moyers interviews David Simon
You show me anything that depicts institutional progress in America, school test scores, crime stats, arrest reports, arrest stats, anything that a politician can run on, anything that somebody can get a promotion on. And as soon as you invent that statistical category, 50 people in that institution will be at work trying to figure out a way to make it look as if progress is actually occurring when actually no progress is.
MAN: So what's the answer? POLICE MAJOR COLVIN: I'm not sure. But whatever it is, it can't be a lie. [...] BILL MOYERS: But it still is a lie, isn't it? DAVID SIMON: And it always will be. I don't think we have the stomach to actually evaluate this. And-- BILL MOYERS: What do you mean? DAVID SIMON: Well-- BILL MOYERS: We don't have the stomach? DAVID SIMON: Again, we would have to ask ourselves a lot of hard questions. The people most affected by this are black and brown and poor. It's the abandoned inner cores of our urban areas. And we don't, as we said before, economically, we don't need those people. The American economy doesn't need them. So, as long as they stay in their ghettos, and they only kill each other, we're willing to pay a police presence to keep them out of our America. And to let them fight over scraps, which is what the drug war, effectively, is. I don't think-- since we basically have become a market-based culture and it's what we know, and it's what's led us to this sad denouement, I think we're going to follow market-based logic, right to the bitter end. BILL MOYERS: Which says? DAVID SIMON: If you don't need 'em, why extend yourself? Why seriously assess what you're doing to your poorest and most vulnerable citizens? There's no profit to be had in doing anything other than marginalizing them and discarding them.

flashkobalt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I kind of want to bang Greggs.

kind of !?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads