• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The RACHford Files: Pierpont Leather "Graham" Briefcase Test Drive

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pierpont Leather is an SF affiliate whose official thread can be found here.

Known for custom projects and individual clients, Pierpont is expanding with some ready-made bags; I had a chance to give the "Graham," a soft leather briefcase, a test drive before they are sent into full production.

Executive Summary: Superlative materials, handmade construction, and excellent customer service hint at a pretty bright future for the brand. A welcome addition to the growing Made-in-USA wave of artisan products giving Europe a run for its money.

Intro: Pierpont Leather is a custom maker out of Dallas, using traditional French construction and materials to produce bags, cases, wallets, and belts from a range of standard and exotic leathers. Given the raw costs and labor involved (an average bag takes 20-30 hours to produce), pricing is at the ultra-premium level.

"Graham" Soft Leather Briefcase in Taupe
Dimensions: 15.6X 11.5 X 4.5"
Handle Drop (of the prototype): 4"
Adjustable Strap Drop: 10-19 inches
Weight: 1.5 kg

Colors: Taupe (with dark brown lining); Black with black lining.

What I like:
Leather: The bag has an excellent weight and feel. Size and shape are functional (I especially like that it is wide enough to get a notebook, Ipad, and even water bottle and still get it closed). It uses Taurillon (French tanned bull calf... similar to Hermes Clemence), a leather known for its softness, durability, and resistance to scratches/stains. Luckily, though, the bag isn’t too heavy (often many full leather bags are so heavy that they become unwieldy as soon as you’ve put in a notebook, water bottle, etc. )

Hardware, Edging, Stitching: Swiss-made RIRI zippers are very high quality. Also the metal hardware (strap loops, fastener, etc) is very nice. The zippers/ pulls are functional and neither too large nor too short, or obnixious (eg. Tom Ford's gigantor zippers). I really like the size, shape, and “feel” of the strap: sturdy and comfortable and just the right width/length.

Wear/Hold up: Used it pretty thoroughly for about two weeks, including a short trip and daily carry to the office. As expected from such high-quality materials, there should be (and were) no issues. The Taurillon doesn't scratch or stain, and the zips/straps and all are fine. I could probably continue banging away at this time for a few more months before I'd really notice much wear.

Some Critiques (With Responses):
At this price point, I'm extremely picky and critical of nearly every detail. For $500, you can live with some things; for four times that... no way. As such, here are my (1) musings (meaning just things I wonder) and (2) critiques (actual things I want to see changed) with responses from Parker Pierpont, founder and head of the company.

*Musing- Use of Taurillon:
Hermes Clemence bags, which use a similar leather, tend to get very "slouchy" as they age. With a soft tote, that's fine and adds character. With a briefcase, however, I want it to retain its shape. I'm glad they chose such a stain/scratch resistant hide that is still supple, but I wonder years down the road about the shape.

Response: They've attempted to compensate for this by using a rigid piece of box calf as an interface on most structural panels.

Am I Satisfied? Yes. Adding a more rigid interior helps keep the soft exterior in shape.

*Critique- Stitching Imperfection:
You don't want "perfect" stitching on a handmade bag; I get that. Only a machine is perfect. HOWEVER, I did notice a few spots that, well, I didn't like, especially around the strap and the strap loop.

Response: The one I test drove is a prototype bag; the final production bag will have several small tweaks, including touching up/removing any stitching issues. It's hard to get an economy of scale from a handmade bag, but production units will resolve these.

Satisfied? Yes. Prototypes are just that.

*Critique- Strap Drop:
I don't want a purse that I sling over my shoulder, but the 4" strap drop is too small for me. My hands brush up against the top of the bag, especially since often the top panel will come up when the bag isn't full. I'd like another inch or so strap drop.

Response: They'd already considered this and will probably be adding some to the strap drop.

Am I satisfied? I would be if that aspect goes into full production.

*Critique- Visibility of the metal feet on the interior bottom:
I could see impressions where the metal feet attach to the bottom of the bag through the leather lining. Yes, I'm picky, but I don't want to see that.

Response: the Production model will add a light layer of leather under the bottom lining to hide all impressions from the feet. They already anticipated this in between prototype and production models.

Critique- Lining Material:
My model had an untreated calf; spilling something/sticky something will make it tough to clean.

Response: Already anticipated/changed- the Production model will have an interior leather with a wax coating to prevent discoloration/stains.

*Nitpicky Subjective Critique- Shape of Metal Feet:
I think they are too tall/pointy. Metal feet on a bag, I feel, should just be there for functionality, and the less noticeable the better. I tend to like shorter, flatter ones… rather than tapered or pointed ones like on this bag.

This is just my personal preference... maybe nobody else cares/notices their metal feet.

*Musing- Design/Originality:
My biggest musing is about design and influence: to my eye, the bag looks like it comes from Hermes. While this is a compliment to the quality of construction and materials, it also does the bag a disservice given its MSRP and the amount of time/labor put into producing it. But, the bag's white contrast saddle stitching, the Taurillon leather, palladium RIRI zippers… even the lozenge-shaped zipper pulls… are like Hermes. I just wonder, as the brand continues to build, if it can find a way to inject/create its own design DNA into the beauty of its materials/construction.

Response: Moving forward, of course the brand plans to work on this, but for initial products the influence of traditional French/European construction is definitely there.

Me: A brand has to start somewhere and this kind of aesthetic/design/marketing stuff takes time. As such, I'm satisfied and excited to see how this brand develops.

Overall Assessment:

The bag is beautiful and given the quality materials, it’s MSRP of $2000 is not excessive. You'd pay 3x's this much for a bag from any of the famous handmade ones (Hermes, Moynat, et al). I paid considerably more for my April in Paris bag some years back (though that was fully custom), though construction/quality are similar.

The "Graham" is a handmade bag and has the feel of a handmade bag and, no doubt, will last forever and get better with age. As such, you can't call it a bargain, but you also would be hard pressed to find something exactly like this at this price point (just see what you get for $2000 from Prada these days).

Would I buy the bag or encourage others to support the brand? I would: the quality is there, the service is there, and the commitment to recreating a vanishing tradition of workmanship is there. This is the most important thing for a luxury maker... and Pierpont has it.

Price: MSRP is $2080 USD.

image2.JPG

image7.JPG

image5.JPG

image4.JPG

image3.JPG

image6.JPG

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
PS. Parker also informs me in the final production model the interior pockets will be tweaked slightly to allow a 13" laptop to fit comfortable (and possibly some smaller 15" laptops). Also the smaller interior pockets will be slightly deeper.

I think these both would be welcome additions, though I had no issues with the layout/size of the interior of my prototype.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This looks good, I am intrigued, some customization possible? for example, a zippered internal pocket.

Good question; I'm sure Pierpont will be monitoring the thread and will answer questions like this.

I usually like a zipper pocket, but I didn't mind that this didn't have one. As well, every added piece of hardware/leather adds to the weight of the bag... and I'd hate for the bag to become too heavy.

ParkerPierpont

Reaction score
This looks good, I am intrigued, some customization possible? for example, a zippered internal pocket.

First off, thank you to @rach2jlc for the write up, and for taking the time to review this for us. Such extensive feedback is incredibly valuable to a product-first business.

We'll be around to answer any questions you may have. Great to see the interest.

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@rach2jlc posts/reviews are always so good. Plus he has an ecyclopedic knowledge of bags.

walds11

Reaction score
I've worked with Pierpont Leather on a couple of custom SLGs and their work is exquisite.

They are very accessible during the process, and Parker's care for the work is infectious.

Kierrane

Reaction score
I've ordered a bag from them.

The quality of materials and craftsmanship is evident in Parker's work.

The prices might be on the higher end, but IMO it's very good value for what you're getting

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
For those considering Pierpont for a custom order, I put in my experiences with that process below. Please feel free to PM me for pictures or thoughts on any specific piece (MacBook Case, Passport Wallet, 2 Ladies Long Wallets, and a Watch Strap) or the ordering process. In general I think the pictures do a pretty good job of displaying the quality, so I wanted to focus on the customer interaction, which is why I've gone back to Parker for several orders, and have referred several friends to him who have also become customers.

First off, Parker is extremely responsive. Emails are answered very quickly, and dialog is kept up throughout the process. This, to me, is one of the most important things and why I will continue to go back to Parker for leather orders (obviously his work is very good as well). Quotes are also provided promptly and are very accurate. Parker is also excellent at providing pictures of different skins and color combinations for when you are trying to narrow down options. For a recent commission for a gift I was ordering, Parker sent me pictures of 17 different color/skin combinations (though the order was not for any exotics). Once you make a decision on an order, Parker will summarize the order on a checkout page/link on his website. If there are any further clarifications required, Parker will update the page as many times as needed before placing your order. Once the order is placed, and the product is being made, Parker will keep you updated with any issues or potential changes that pop up. I've kept portions of my orders up to him, so this may be something that happens more for me than in general. I typical specify what is important and what I don't mind him changing to help accomplish what I find most important, so my orders tend to evolve a bit during the process. Parker is very good about communicating his ideas about changes and why he thinks they are a good idea before anything is done. Timelines for projects can vary depending on the queue, but you'll always have an accurate estimate as to when you can expect delivery, and he has met them each time for my 5 orders. Products arrive attractively packaged as well.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Feel free to post pictures! It's interesting to see the range of options out there (even though this bag is a ready-to-wear item, not custom).

I'm wondering @PierpontLeather if you are planning on expanding the color options on the bag? I'd love to see a navy blue and a mid-gray.

ParkerPierpont

Reaction score
@walds11 , @Kierrane , @DLJr - thank you all. It's been a pleasure to work with each of you!

^Feel free to post pictures! It's interesting to see the range of options out there (even though this bag is a ready-to-wear item, not custom).

I'm wondering @PierpontLeather if you are planning on expanding the color options on the bag? I'd love to see a navy blue and a mid-gray.

@rach2jlc - We're always looking into expanding color options. I know that Navy will definitely be offered at some point in the future, but we're unsure on the date. I suspect that a custom order or two will ask for the bag in Navy before we're able to release it for order online. It's always been a popular color for quite a few of the other products we offer.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

I'll put some up when I get a chance, though I think they are all up on Parker's website or instagram page. FWIW, my favorite piece might be the wallet I got for my mom. The color combination (skye and peach mysore) and the way we set it up to be very functional for her really put it over the top for me.

ParkerPierpont

Reaction score
I'll put some up when I get a chance, though I think they are all up on Parker's website or instagram page. FWIW, my favorite piece might be the wallet I got for my mom. The color combination (skye and peach mysore) and the way we set it up to be very functional for her really put it over the top for me.

Here's a photo of @DLJr's laptop case, and one of trifold wallet.

Link to the galleries.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads