• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

people who ***** about tipping are scum?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whatever your personal tipping habits, you gotta admire the ingenuity of it all, especially if you are a US restaurant owner.
Through tipping, owners have managed to convince people to do work for them for less than minimum wage, freeing them from managerial responsibilities such as ensuring high turn rate or optimizing staff utilization, and adding a nice random component to employee compensation.
When wait staff goes home with a light pay cheque for that day, instead of blaming themselves or their bosses, they blame it on the customers with whom they have no contractual relationship whatsoever.

but if you read this thread, they make the the expected tip of 15 to 20% sound nearly contractual.

i also bet you would have problem hiring people if you paid the waiters 10 usd an hour but made it explicit to the customers that tips should not be given.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I took a friend out for dinner. Dinner was served and about 3 mouthfulls into our food my friend showed me a half-rotten piece of red pepper in her dinner.
I summoned the waitress. She asked (smiling), 'Is everything OK?'
I looked at her dead serious and said, 'Have your manager come here right away please.'
Manager came, a young man in his late twenties, and he said, 'Good evening did you want to speak to me?'
I forked the pepper and raised it so he could see the problem and said, Is it policy here to serve rotten food to customers?'
He looked horrified, profusely apologized, and offered to have our dinners remade for us.
I looked at my friend and said, 'Would that be alright with you? Do you think we can trust them?'
The manager assured my friend that he would personally supervise our dinners being made.
She said, 'Alright, that will be fine'.
The Manager said the meal will be free of charge and also, he offered us a complimentary drink.
We accepted, and were served a beer each within 10 seconds of ordering it.
As we were seated not far from the kitchen, we could see the manager take our first plates to the kitchen and he screamed at the staff.
It was like out of a movie; him screaming and checking every single part of the process of our dinners being remade.
Our new dinners were served personally by him with additional apologies and told us if we need anything at all to ask for him.
Dinner now proved to be quite delicious and well made.
When the time came for me to ask the waitress for the bill, the manager returned with her and reassured us that the meal and drinks were complimentary.
I smiled at this forthright young man and told him, 'There won't be a need for that. We alerted you to the problem and you corrected it, and we are quite happy with this.
I will accept the complimentary drinks but your staff works hard and must be paid, therefore please allow me to pay for the meal.
After refusing several times, he finally accepted. I paid for the meal and gave a 30% tip and complimented him and his waitress and his staff for making our stay enjoyable.
I also told him and the waitress at his side that it was an honour to have been served by such good and caring people such as them.
He gave me his business card and asked me to call him should we return; that he would personally guarantee us sterling service.
We thanked him, left and sadly have not since returned.
That was a rare experience to see restuarant staff turn a bad situation into a most pleasurable one.
My point of sharing this, is that where there are good people there will be good service and food. I believe they do try hard and break their backs and a little courtesy all around can make these experiences a lot better. Give them the benefit of the doubt and allow them to correct any problem before resorting to more drastic measures.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Damn, you dont **** around.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gekko is a troll, dashaafin is asian and stylemeup is in Toronto. Their lack of social graces are easily explained...

Its probably more to do with home training.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can't believe I read the entire thing....

This is the entire premise of my argument in this thread.

Your argument is wrong. The system is set up to tip so you are actually depriving people of the wages they are expected to accumulate from you, the customer. If you think there is a problem with that then you need to lobby your elected officials. However, since you are not of voting age, you lack the chief mechanism to do so and also the experience to know what you are doing. And yes, your being 17 does matter. You know at least have an excuse for your crude, poorly reasoned libertarianism. However, once you become a Libertarian (note the punctuation) this will just be par for the course.

Atlanta has shown itself to have a brand new failure.

Awwwwwwwwww yeah!

Whatever your personal tipping habits, you gotta admire the ingenuity of it all, especially if you are a US restaurant owner.
Through tipping, owners have managed to convince people to do work for them for less than minimum wage, freeing them from managerial responsibilities such as ensuring high turn rate or optimizing staff utilization, and adding a nice random component to employee compensation.
When wait staff goes home with a light pay cheque for that day, instead of blaming themselves or their bosses, they blame it on the customers with whom they have no contractual relationship whatsoever.

This is wrong. too lazy to type it out.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is wrong. too lazy to type it out.

Why? I know that most places have some sort of rule that allows below minimum wage pay but requires owners to pay up if tips don't bring total compensation up to minimum...but that isn't what he is talking about.

If you just assume the the restaurant pays minimum wage (or at least budgets for it just in case), it means that they have a relatively small fixed cost for labor. They may even be able to reduce that cost by letting people go home on a slow night since if they know they won't be getting many tips, they might have other things that they value more than a minimum wage payday.

Waiters on the other hand have their compensation tied directly to how busy they are. If it is a busy night and they bust ass to keep a high standard of service going at a bunch of tables, they will get rewarded for their hard work. The owner doesn't have to worry about figuring out things like performance-based bonuses but they still get all of the benefits of staff that are motivated by direct incentives to work harder.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Waiters on the other hand have their compensation tied directly to how busy they are. If it is a busy night and they bust ass to keep a high standard of service going at a bunch of tables, they will get rewarded for their hard work. The owner doesn't have to worry about figuring out things like performance-based bonuses but they still get all of the benefits of staff that are motivated by direct incentives to work harder.

Wrong. Busy night + ****** customers = ****** tips.

Gordon Gekko

Reaction score

This is a good one! Hahahahahaha
The owners are the ones screwing them over by paying them below minimum wage, but they're not mad at the restaurant owners. Yet, they get mad at the customer (who has no obligation to pay them) if they decide not to tip. Yeah, the owners are pimps.

Gordon Gekko

Reaction score

Can't believe I read the entire thing....

Your argument is wrong. The system is set up to tip so you are actually depriving people of the wages they are expected to accumulate from you, the customer. If you think there is a problem with that then you need to lobby your elected officials. However, since you are not of voting age, you lack the chief mechanism to do so and also the experience to know what you are doing. And yes, your being 17 does matter. You know at least have an excuse for your crude, poorly reasoned libertarianism. However, once you become a Libertarian (note the punctuation) this will just be par for the course.

Me being 17 matters? You ******* moron, I'm not 17 years old (I wish I was). You showed how dumb you are just by believing someone about my age who knows nothing whatsoever about me.
As for my argument, you're replying out of emotion and completely abandoning logic. Show me where I have a written contractual agreement to pay the waiters a tip when I eat at their restaurant? It's completely optional...not required. For some reason, people like you want to say that my argument is wrong, but you have yet to prove that tipping is mandatory. So how am I wrong when you can't prove me wrong? If I'm so wrong, you should be able to prove it. Waiters expecting to be tipped doesn't mean that we're required to tip. There's a big difference, you dumb ass...

Last edited:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Me being 17 matters? You ******* moron, I'm not 17 years old (I wish I was). You showed how dumb you are just by believing someone about my age who knows nothing whatsoever about me.
As for my argument, you're replying out of emotion and completely abandoning logic. Show me where I have a written contractual agreement to pay the waiters a tip when I eat at their restaurant? It's completely optional...not required. For some reason, people like you want to say that my argument is wrong, but you have yet to prove that tipping is mandatory. So how am I wrong when you can't prove me wrong? Dumb ass...

You don't believe that there are requirements which are social conventions and not written contracts?

Gordon Gekko

Reaction score
LMAO @ some clown accusing me of being a troll just because he doesn't like what I'm saying and can't prove me wrong. That's how *****-made people are these days. You're not allowed to speak the politically incorrect truth without being accused of trolling. They tell you how wrong you are, how stupid you are, etc., but for some reason, they can't prove you wrong. Let me make it easy for you bitches...just because you want me to be wrong, that doesn't make me wrong. Get your emotions out the discussion and look at the facts. Otherwise, you'll continue to act like emotional bitches whenever you can't disprove a statement you disagree with. Dishing out insults when you can't hold your own on a discussion doesn't make you right and the other person wrong.

Gordon Gekko

Reaction score

You don't believe that there are requirements which are social conventions and not written contracts?

If it's not in writing, then it's not a requirement. Save that "social" bullshit for someone else. You're not supposed to cheat on your lover because of "social" and moral reasons, but you can't be prosecuted for it (outside of the military) for it because it's not written into law. Don't bother having this discussion with me, pal, because you won't win.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

You're not allowed to speak the politically incorrect truth without being accused of trolling. .

I experienced this once in college when writing about the role of African kingdoms in the Atlantic slave trade. Also your post says nothing.

also:

If it's not in writing, then it's not a requirement. Save that "social" bullshit for someone else. You're not supposed to cheat on your lover because of "social" and moral reasons, but you can't be prosecuted for it (outside of the military) for it because it's not written into law. Don't bother having this discussion with me, pal, because you won't win.

I can now tell you that you are awful, disgusting people and I assume that your parents either are as well or are totally embarrassed by how you think about the world around you.

+1

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads