• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paying off CC balance all at once

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about closing out a credit card? I have A+ credit, would it hurt a great deal? Should I bother with the credit utilization number?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
What about closing out a credit card? I have A+ credit, would it hurt a great deal? Should I bother with the credit utilization number?

Why do you want to close an account? It will only serve to raise your utilization percentage--something that will end up hurting your overall score.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Why do you want to close an account? It will only serve to raise your utilization percentage--something that will end up hurting your overall score.

Because he knows he's a dipshit that will end up buying shots for an entire bar instead of being responsible with his money.
I told him to cut up the card but to keep the account open.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Because he knows he's a dipshit that will end up buying shots for an entire bar instead of being responsible with his money.
I told him to cut up the card but to keep the account open.

Oh, well then by all means cut the card, keep the account active, and learn to impress others with your genuine character and wit, rather than with a generous wallet.
smile.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, that card has been cut up for a while now. I'm fine with just leaving it open, but aren't banks starting to charge annual fees and ****? I really don't want to call and ask them, nothing worse than dealing with credit card providers.
ffffuuuu.gif

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that card has been cut up for a while now. I'm fine with just leaving it open, but aren't banks starting to charge annual fees and ****? I really don't want to call and ask them, nothing worse than dealing with credit card providers.
ffffuuuu.gif

It depends on which credit card you have; my AMEX does, my Visa does not. It should have been stated when you opened your account.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
high expectations asian father would tell you to pay it off and never be in debt again.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It is better to leave it open. You should be getting a statement, simply check and see if there's a yearly fee instituted. If they try and pull one, call and ask them to waive it. Many times they will (I've done this several times). If they won't, ask to cancel. Most of the time they'll waive the fee. If not, then you cancel.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When it comes to nefarious business practices, it's hard to top credit card companies.
This is all too true. I mentioned a while back, in another CC thread, how after only having my AMEX gold card for a period of around 6 months, my available spending limit had climbed from $2,000 to $25,000 with my maximum monthly expenditure being only around $2,500--I averaged $1-2k. I'd pay my balance off in full every month, and so my limit would increase after each payment, but even for me, that size of an increase was just insane. You really have to be careful.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
This is all too true. I mentioned a while back, in another CC thread, how after only having my AMEX gold card for a period of around 6 months, my available spending limit had climbed from $2,000 to $25,000 with my maximum monthly expenditure being only around $2,500--I averaged $1-2k. I'd pay my balance off in full every month, and so my limit would increase after each payment, but even for me, that size of an increase was just insane. You really have to be careful.

They'll stop doing that if you ask them to.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
They'll stop doing that if you ask them to.

Yes, but the point is, who would ask them to stop? It encourages one to spend more than they have the means to support. Of course, I know better, but I'm sure there are others who aren't so responsible.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have more than my annual salary in available credit now. It's absurd. Never spent more than a month's paycheck on the cards, so it really doesn't matter and it helps my credit score. It could get someone with poor impulse control in trouble though.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gibonius
I have more than my annual salary in available credit now. It's absurd. Never spent more than a month's paycheck on the cards, so it really doesn't matter and it helps my credit score. It could get someone with poor impulse control in trouble though.

Not if you have more credit than your annual income - part of the algorithm is to compare this ratio, I think the ideal is considered something like 30% of annual income in available credit. Of course, shutting down credit lines also dings your credit...so you might want to ask your existing cards to lower their limits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads