• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patent shoes or not?

Preparatory

Reaction score
Hi guys

Buying a tux and are looking out for a pair of patent shoes - or not??

Is there any alternative to the patent shoes if wearing a tux? I'm thinking a pair of sleek wholcuts maybe?

Can I get some examples please? I am pretty much lost..

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleek black wholecuts, well polished, would be perfectly appropriate, as would a nice, well polished captoe.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically, you should wear either black patent leather plain toe balmorals or opera pumps. These are the two traditionally correct shoes with black tie.

Having said that, I despise patent leather and have not been able to find an opera pump that fits my wide feet, so I wear a pair of plain toe balmorals that are highly shined. While not technically perfect, I think they are fine, and given the number of far worse examples I see at most black tie events, I can't be bothered to care. Sleek and well-polished black plain toe balmorals are fine for all practical purposes. Below is an example of the style (something sleeker would be better, but just to give you an idea).

http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ane2_932.htm

I would avoid shoes with any decoration on the toe (including a punch cap or stitch cap balmoral) as black tie shoes should not have these.

Bottom line: If your tuxedo fits you, you wear a proper tuxedo shirt, have a black tie that you tie yourself and vest / cummerbund to match, and you shine your shoes, you'll look better than 99% of the people there. Calfskin shoes won't sink the look.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ What he said - and said very well, especially the bottom line.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for your inputs. I too think that there are more options than patent leather to wear with a tuxedo. But I need some inspiration on a pair of sleek whole cuts. I am also looking at these from Sutor:

http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-57489-sutor-mantellassi-black-shoes-size-7-us-6-uk.aspx

How do you think they will work? Is it too much?

Way too much broguing on those shoes for them to work with black tie. The entire toe area really should be plain. I believe this is my pair:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/salvatore-ferragamo-fedele-oxford/3096278?origin=category

You can probably get something for a better price, but this really is the rough style you want. I ended up with these because they were some of the few sleek plain toe balmorals that I could find with a EE/EEE width. If you either have more time to shop or don't have wide feet, you can certainly get something for less.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Preparatory

Reaction score

Way too much broguing on those shoes for them to work with black tie. The entire toe area really should be plain. I believe this is my pair:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/salvatore-ferragamo-fedele-oxford/3096278?origin=category

You can probably get something for a better price, but this really is the rough style you want. I ended up with these because they were some of the few sleek plain toe balmorals that I could find with a EE/EEE width. If you either have more time to shop or don't have wide feet, you can certainly get something for less.

I agree those ferragamos are very nice and I should probably look for something similar, but I also have a spending budget on $400. :S

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right is the opera dress pumps in calf with a pinched bow -- I'm aware that the opera pumps are probably not to everybody's fancy. :slayer:

But, there you have it -- patent vs calf.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Those pumps look good, and I'm typically not a fan of opera pumps. My preference in patent leather oxfords.

kcox68

Reaction score
Personally, I like wholecut oxfords with a tuxdedo. I've ordered these for a gala I'm attending in April.

http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1920

They're not the most expensive shoes around which is good for me since I doubt I'll wear them more than a few times a year. If I could find an excuse to wear them more often I might step up a notch.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally, I like wholecut oxfords with a tuxdedo. I've ordered these for a gala I'm attending in April. http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1920 They're not the most expensive shoes around which is good for me since I doubt I'll wear them more than a few times a year. If I could find an excuse to wear them more often I might step up a notch.
Very nice. I prefer the plain toe balmoral to the wholecut, but those look pretty good. Agree that as long as you have something nice to put on your feet, spending a fortune doesn't make sense if you don't go to many black tie events (probably should have heeded that advice myself, but oh well).

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally, I like wholecut oxfords with a tuxdedo. I've ordered these for a gala I'm attending in April. http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1920 They're not the most expensive shoes around which is good for me since I doubt I'll wear them more than a few times a year. If I could find an excuse to wear them more often I might step up a notch.
An excuse to wear those more often? How about any time you wear a charcoal suit? Nice shoes, Meermin is a very good shoe for the money.

Last edited:

AwfullyNiceGuy

Reaction score
Would a black highly polished leather balmoral with a captoe be a crime with a tux? I realize there seems to be an agreement on plain-toe being superior in this thread, but couldn't one argue that a captoe makes for a chance of spit-shine, which could work in the favor of the sleek and elegant black-tie code?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads