1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Patent shoes or not?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Preparatory, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Preparatory

Preparatory Well-Known Member

Hi guys

Buying a tux and are looking out for a pair of patent shoes - or not??

Is there any alternative to the patent shoes if wearing a tux? I'm thinking a pair of sleek wholcuts maybe?

Can I get some examples please? I am pretty much lost..

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Sleek black wholecuts, well polished, would be perfectly appropriate, as would a nice, well polished captoe.

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Technically, you should wear either black patent leather plain toe balmorals or opera pumps. These are the two traditionally correct shoes with black tie.

Having said that, I despise patent leather and have not been able to find an opera pump that fits my wide feet, so I wear a pair of plain toe balmorals that are highly shined. While not technically perfect, I think they are fine, and given the number of far worse examples I see at most black tie events, I can't be bothered to care. Sleek and well-polished black plain toe balmorals are fine for all practical purposes. Below is an example of the style (something sleeker would be better, but just to give you an idea).

http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ane2_932.htm

I would avoid shoes with any decoration on the toe (including a punch cap or stitch cap balmoral) as black tie shoes should not have these.

Bottom line: If your tuxedo fits you, you wear a proper tuxedo shirt, have a black tie that you tie yourself and vest / cummerbund to match, and you shine your shoes, you'll look better than 99% of the people there. Calfskin shoes won't sink the look.

4. upr_crust

upr_crust Well-Known Member

^^^ What he said - and said very well, especially the bottom line.

5. Preparatory

6. archibaldleach

Way too much broguing on those shoes for them to work with black tie. The entire toe area really should be plain. I believe this is my pair:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/salvatore-ferragamo-fedele-oxford/3096278?origin=category

You can probably get something for a better price, but this really is the rough style you want. I ended up with these because they were some of the few sleek plain toe balmorals that I could find with a EE/EEE width. If you either have more time to shop or don't have wide feet, you can certainly get something for less.

7. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  8. Preparatory

I agree those ferragamos are very nice and I should probably look for something similar, but I also have a spending budget on $400. :S

9. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

Right is the opera dress pumps in calf with a pinched bow -- I'm aware that the opera pumps are probably not to everybody's fancy. :slayer:

But, there you have it -- patent vs calf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  10. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

^^^Those pumps look good, and I'm typically not a fan of opera pumps. My preference in patent leather oxfords.

11. kcox68

kcox68 Well-Known Member

Personally, I like wholecut oxfords with a tuxdedo. I've ordered these for a gala I'm attending in April.

[​IMG]
    http://meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1920

They're not the most expensive shoes around which is good for me since I doubt I'll wear them more than a few times a year. If I could find an excuse to wear them more often I might step up a notch.

12. archibaldleach

Very nice. I prefer the plain toe balmoral to the wholecut, but those look pretty good. Agree that as long as you have something nice to put on your feet, spending a fortune doesn't make sense if you don't go to many black tie events (probably should have heeded that advice myself, but oh well).

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

An excuse to wear those more often? How about any time you wear a charcoal suit? Nice shoes, Meermin is a very good shoe for the money.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  14. AwfullyNiceGuy

AwfullyNiceGuy Well-Known Member

Would a black highly polished leather balmoral with a captoe be a crime with a tux? I realize there seems to be an agreement on plain-toe being superior in this thread, but couldn't one argue that a captoe makes for a chance of spit-shine, which could work in the favor of the sleek and elegant black-tie code?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  15. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Quote:My primary reason for disliking this look is due to the business connotations, with the black cap-toe being the standard business-formal shoe. Its like notch lapels on your dinner jacket.

16. AwfullyNiceGuy

Just after posting I came to the very same realization just moments after posting. Also the plain-toe seems visually far more comparable to the pump, because there is no secondary ''line'' from a potential cap-toe.. Oh well, I will be wearing cap-toe for the theatre come 5th of sept. anyway!
    Even if I don't have an extensive black-tie calendar(as in nearly none) the pump has a strong appeal to me, for all it's worth it looks damn good.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  17. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

But if you want that degree of shine, then why not go for patent? Captoes are a compromise between practicality (having a shoe that's useful for more than just black tie) and form.

18. AwfullyNiceGuy

You're probably right, I will put a plain-toe balmoral/opera pumps on my to-get list.