• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Over the Shoulders, Under the Knees: Long Coats

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can get coats hemmed. I've had near ankle-length coats taken up to about mid-calf. Depending on the design, you can get it taken up as high as you want, so long as you don't throw off the design proportions.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea sure, thought the same. However the wide padded shoulders are too much for me. So ideally some slightly updated version, or something from a fashion maker that keeps fairly traditional.

That's just your regular made in Italy (Zegna, Valentino, Armani, Versace, Canali etc) big everywhere 90-00s coat. You'll have an easier time finding something like that on ebay than among current offerings. If you're ok with classic designs, wider shoulders and loser cuts then that's fish in a barrel stuff.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Though when I say wide I'm not talking heavily padded square shoulders either, just not as fitted as what we're used to today, like on that camel coat below (black coat is Hugo Boss fwiw). But raglan shoulders are a great way to avoid the issue altogether.

24265db18ccd3ab7091732491d45a4b3.jpg
56d44cf7334f68e2e1e59248a11bc9a9.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's my era! side note: what's the rule on peak lapels and raglan shoulder? I don't think I've ever seen that.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cool! ^^ I'm glad to see the ol' Apparel Arts illustrations in SW&D. circular emoji! Those 30s trousers are hard to deny.

I'd love to get my hands of a full run of 1930s issues, especially the Fall/Winter stuff. So.Many.Coats.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Yea sure, thought the same. However the wide padded shoulders are too much for me. So ideally some slightly updated version, or something from a fashion maker that keeps fairly traditional.

If I have the right idea of what you're thinking of, Dries had several such coats in his fall 17 collection. I wanted one myself but they were all sold out in my size by the time I made it to the Antwerp store.

If you're ok with lengths ending above the knee, Acne Studios seems to make that kind of "updated" (i.e. non-exaggerated shoulders) silhouette every fall/winter. They turn up pretty regularly on Yoox as well at discount prices, if you have the patience of waiting for one in your size.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RIP "Chic casual". Forever lost to the Mr Porters of the world.

LVs are a good example of alternatively styled old man coats

(If they're still made by Belvest we might even be able to find something similar at a fraction of the price)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads