• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions On This Outfit Appreciated

Sentimentaltoonhead

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m a returning member and wanted your opinion of my outfit. I needed an outfit for a semi-formal event and didn’t have a lot of money to spend. I purchased the following. The jacket is a grey and black wool blend herringbone and the pants are a navy wool blend micro check. Both are Stafford from JC Penney. The shirt is an Izod cotton micro check button down from Kohl’s and the tie is Ben Sherman from Macy’s. My shoes are Clark’s cap-toe derbies also from Macy’s. I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

D9E4A116-A894-4794-8A9C-E311EAC210E6.jpeg

jack webb

Reaction score
Hard to tell from just one pic but it seems the jacket sleeves could be a mite short - although not grievously so. For a semi-formal event it is probably safe to ditch the tie, especially if you're wearing a shirt with button-down collars. Overall I'd say the look works.

Jnarcane

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue is the easiest to fix: the darkness of the shirt. When the jacket, shirt, and tie are all on the dark side, they blend in with each other and the result is blasé. That's why the norm is dark jacket and tie and light shirt. I would also choose a shirt with a non-buttoning collar so as to match the soberness of the rest of the outfit, but I think that's more subjective.

Now, in roughly ascending order of nitpick: if the event calls for dark grey and blue wool, the standard conservative suit materials, I wonder whether you'd be better suited by... a suit. Supposing you do want to go with odd jacket and trousers, the jacket would do better with patch pockets, as flap pockets look better with a suit, being more formal. I'd also prefer a wider tie with a more attractive pattern.

If you do wear that, don't feel bad. You probably won't stand out in a bad way.

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I quite like your outfit, I would personally wear something like that. I would prefer non button down shirt and also choose different tie, either grenadine or knit in navy.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd ditch the shirt for a light blue or white, with a spread collar as opposed to a button down collar. If the event is formal enough for a suit, I'd go with that instead of sportcoat/trouser combo. If it's not formal enough to need a suit, I'd opt for lighter pants, maybe light grey to give the outfit some contrast.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
It's all fine, nothing fantastic. The jacket seems a little snug for my tastes, the pants a little slim. I don't love the colors on the tie, and I generally don't love gray blazers, but again, it's fine.

It's a little businessy overall. If the event is a party of some kind, you could go tieless, or try to thrift something better on luxeswap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads