• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions of Prozac, I start tomorrow

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scientologists?

That's it I'm out of this thread Via Con Dios SpallaCamiccia and Good Luck.

Nosu3

The big problem with Depression is the physiological affects combined with the negative mental attitude it makes it harder for you to do anything, but still Scientology aside I do not advocate the use of drugs in treating it.

Now organic brain disease and schizophrenia that is a different matter again and does need to be controlled through the use of, sadly, medication and behaviour modification.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
There are A LOT of drugs similar to Prozac, so if Prozac, Wellbutrin, Paxil, etc. aren't working for you then you can always switch to another with your doctors help.
Here it is. This is utter nonsense and you should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting it.

Originally Posted by Nosu3
There are several types of depression. Sadness is not always a prominent symptom and it can be more physiological.

Too many scientologists on this forum. I think you are the second one I've seen so far.

I assure you I'm no scientologist.

Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
Scientologists?

Nosu3

The big problem with Depression is the physiological affects combined with the negative mental attitude it makes it harder for you to do anything, but still Scientology aside I do not advocate the use of drugs in treating it.

Now organic brain disease and schizophrenia that is a different matter again and does need to be controlled through the use of, sadly, medication and behaviour modification.

You offer great insight into this topic. I hope you hang around.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
Here it is. This is utter nonsense and you should be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting it.

Here what is? There's nothing wrong with changing meds with a doctor's supervision if one has negative side effects with the original med.

I assure you I'm no scientologist.

No. Especially with regards to addiction and depression. You couldn't be more wrong. Are you involved in Scientology? Seriously?

Certainly am.

Which is it?

You offer great insight into this topic. I hope you hang around.

facepalm.gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scientologists?

Nosu3

WTF?

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
That's not necessarily true. I recommend you have a look at the work of Dr. Loren Mosher. When it came to schizophrenia, he was all about healthy relationships over drugs.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
If you feel that most cases of depression can be treated without the use of medication, what are you views on other illnesses, like panic disorder?

Sorry don't have a view because it does not come into my field of expertise. I make informed opinions on topics which I have experience and knowledge rather than simply express an opinion on the subject.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WTF?

I'll use wikipedia it appears to be on your intellectual level

Those with a diagnosis of schizophrenia have changes in both brain structure and chemistry.[2] Studies using neuropsychological tests and brain imaging technologies such as fMRI and PET to examine functional differences in brain activity have shown that differences seem to most commonly occur in the frontal lobes, hippocampus and temporal lobes.[45] These differences have been linked to the neurocognitive deficits often associated with schizophrenia.[46] Due to the alteration in neural circuits, an alternate view holds that schizophrenia should be thought of as a collection of neurodevelopmental disorders.[47]

Now do you get i?

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lithium, Tegretol, Depakote > Prozac

AlexWb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I would not recommend Prozac, or any form of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for that matter. While you may see temporary improvement from taking such psychotropic drugs, they are not going to address the actual root cause of your depression/suicidal tendencies. The cause, most likely, is a serotonin deficiency. SSRIs work by conserving existing brain serotonin supplies by keeping more serotonin in the synaptic gap between neurons. In essence, they recycle your brains existing low levels of serotonin, but do nothing to enhance it. Your brain produces serotonin (known as 5-hydroxytryptamine), by the conversion of the amino acid L-tryptophan to 5-hydroxytryptohan, which in turn is metabolized by the liver into serotonin. There are numerous reasons why your body may not be getting enough of these amino acids, but in any case, the best way to increase your brains supply of serotonin is by actually taking a supplement containing this amino acid that is the body's direct metabolic precursor to serotonin itself. This supplement would be 5- hydroxytryptophan (5-htp). There have been numerous trials and studies conducted on the effect of taking this supplement for depression, insomnia, fibromyalgia, and even obesity. Most of these studies have been conducted in Europe (most notably by Professor Federigo Sicuteri at the University of Florence), where natural remedies and herbal supplements aren't considered taboo, as they usually are here in America. Interestingly, after conducting a series of double blind studies, those taking 5-htp saw a marked improvement in their mood and behavior, more so than those taking commonly prescribed SSRIs. This is all referenced by Dr. Michael Murray in his book on 5-htp, if you are interested further. The reason we don't hear much about this supplement is most likely due to the fact that it is a naturally occurring substance found in nature...a plant extract in fact. You can't patent nature, at least not yet. Therefore, the pharmaceutical industry won't spend the millions of dollars necessary for effective trials and studies of the drug in order for it to be considered a viable alternative to modern antidepressants. There's just no money in it. Aside from the fact that taking such a supplement will actually address the root cause of your condition, rather than just put a band aid on the symptoms, taking such a supplement is a much safer alternative than an SSRI, with little to no side effects. It is also considerably cheaper, with no prescription necessary, as 5-htp can commonly be found over the counter at any health market or pharmacy. I also notice you say you sleep 14 hours a day? I am willing to bet that even after those 14 hours you probably still feel tired. This is most likely due to the quality of your sleep, not the quantity. Another thing that 5-htp helps with is sleep. Serotonin is the precursor to melatonin which is involved in sleep cycles. In short, by having more melatonin available you will experience more cycling and spend more time in the restorative, REM, stage, and Non REM deep sleep stages 3 and 4. You will find yourself dreaming more and feeling much more refreshed with less time spent asleep. Here is a useful article comparing 5-htp to Prozac. http://drgarye.com/Portals/3d62157d-...c21a9/5HTP.pdf Anyway, just thought I'd offer up a contrary opinion. Maybe run it by your doc and see what he thinks, although I'm sure he'd be much happier writing you a script for Prozac then telling you to find a "natural" way of curing yourself.
I don't know what kind of qualifications you have, but it's obvious you are not a physician. And if you are getting into the science jargon, at least give credit where it's due. I'm in the sciences/medicine, but I won't get into that. I wouldn't generalize all physicians if I were you... As for the Prozac, it's going to be a good short term remedy for the symptoms you may have. Long term treatment can be followed up with a psychiatrist. Good luck

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexWb
I don't know what kind of qualifications you have, but it's obvious you are not a physician. And if you are getting into the science jargon, at least give credit where it's due. I'm in the sciences/medicine, but I won't get into that. I wouldn't generalize all physicians if I were you...

As for the Prozac, it's going to be a good short term remedy for the symptoms you may have. Long term treatment can be followed up with a psychiatrist. Good luck

I believe I did give credit and reference sources in my response.

Exactly what part of sciences/medicine are you involved in?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll use wikipedia it appears to be on your intellectual level

ffffuuuu.gif

Those with a diagnosis of schizophrenia have changes in both brain structure and chemistry.[2] Studies using neuropsychological tests and brain imaging technologies such as fMRI and PET to examine functional differences in brain activity have shown that differences seem to most commonly occur in the frontal lobes, hippocampus and temporal lobes.[45] These differences have been linked to the neurocognitive deficits often associated with schizophrenia.[46] Due to the alteration in neural circuits, an alternate view holds that schizophrenia should be thought of as a collection of neurodevelopmental disorders.[47]

Now do you get i?

No, I don't get it. Probably because it has nothing to do with what I put in bold when quoting you.

I'll type real slow so you can understand.

People don't say things like, "organic brain disease" anymore.

This isn't the 1950's.

ffffuuuu.gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I believe I did give credit and reference sources in my response. Exactly what part of sciences/medicine are you involved in?
It also seems your information isn't correct. Link

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads