• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions of Prozac, I start tomorrow

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
facepalm.gif

Show me the child, I'll show you the man. The OP even hinted at childhood traumas and you want to continue suppressing them with drugs? Your advice will do more harm than good.

OP, you need to resolve these issues with a trained professional. It will be long, confronting work, but you are able to overcome them.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I second the above I tried Prozac for depression years ago its fucked, no thanks. Get off it and stay off it. Try more exercise and if you do have suicidal thoughts then have a few telephone help line numbers close to hand. Its better to find someone to talk too who is objective to your life who can listen and offer some advice not contaminated by personal association.

I went through five years of therapy and it did me the world of good. It was hard going, at first but after time the healing began and my life turned around. My advice is seek out a Jungian therapist, in my view after studying Freud at University for years both as a undergrad and graduate student, its full of ****. It contributes nothing in terms of your own growth or healing which is essentially what therapy is all about.

Or else find a good psychologist and talk with them I am a big believer in the talking cure. But above all you have to find a therapist, who you can trust and who will not bankrupt you in the process. And then allow the process to take its own course, good luck.

ps I also worked in Mental Health as a case worker & counselor for a few years quit because of burn out due to budget cuts and staff shortages

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sesame Seed
Show me the child, I'll show you the man.

What does this even mean?

The OP even hinted at childhood traumas and you want to continue suppressing them with drugs?

I never said this. Please learn to read my posts especially if you're going to respond to them.

Your advice will do more harm than good.

You obviously don't understand my advice since you haven't even responded to what I said / wrote.

OP, you need to resolve these issues with a trained professional. It will be long, confronting work, but you are able to overcome them.

facepalm.gif

STFU

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, please don't listen to any advice in this thread. Please just go see your doctor/s.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Firmin
^ I second the above I tried Prozac for depression years ago its fucked, no thanks. Get off it and stay off it. Try more exercise and if you do have suicidal thoughts then have a few telephone help line numbers close to hand. Its better to find someone to talk too who is objective to your life who can listen and offer some advice not contaminated by personal association.

I went through five years of therapy and it did me the world of good. It was hard going, at first but after time the healing began and my life turned around. My advice is seek out a Jungian therapist, in my view after studying Freud at University for years both as a undergrad and graduate student, its full of ****. It contributes nothing in terms of your own growth or healing which is essentially what therapy is all about.

Or else find a good psychologist and talk with them I am a big believer in the talking cure. But above all you have to find a therapist, who you can trust and who will not bankrupt you in the process. And then allow the process to take its own course, good luck.

ps I also worked in Mental Health as a case worker & counselor for a few years quit because of burn out due to budget cuts and staff shortages

This is good advice.

There are A LOT of drugs similar to Prozac, so if Prozac, Wellbutrin, Paxil, etc. aren't working for you then you can always switch to another with your doctors help...

...One of which is a chemical imbalance which can't be overcome with "willpower" or just going to a therapist...

This is not.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is good advice. This is not.
Seriously, just stfu and get a clue. You have no idea what you're talking about. Your ignorance of this topic is basically trolling. People with addictive behavior or people that are addicts (which the OP mentioned he was) can't do any of the emotional work that you're talking about until they achieve some sobriety which times can't be done without some sort of medication. If you had a clue about this topic, you'd know that. Once again, depression isn't about willpower and neither is addiction. As I said before to the OP, please, PLEASE don't listen to ANY of the info in this thread. Much of it is dangerous and extremely ignorant.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People with addictive behavior or people that are addicts (which the OP mentioned he was) can't do any of the emotional work that you're talking about until they achieve some sobriety which times can't be done without some sort of medication. If you had a clue about this topic, you'd know that. Once again, depression isn't about willpower and neither is addiction.
Sorry don't agree with you here the situation is different for each individual in relation to addiction. I stopped drinking(sigh) and I did it without medication or AA or anything else for that matter. It was a hard ask but it was something I had to do, death doesn't become me, so it was cold turkey. And I have a had a lot to with junkies some of whom were friends (a long time ago) so i know about addictive personalities. As for depression I had my first attack at 19 and didn't have it diagnosed till I was 26. I went and spoke with a Freudian psychiatrist after ending up in a hospital casualty ward, I went seeking help after being that close to topping myself, I spoke with him for an hour and then sage like he say's 'your depressed'. Like tell me something I don't know, ******* idiot but it was enough to get a lot of **** off my chest and take that first step. I'm 53 now and learned how to identify the warning signs and take action but sometimes no help was at hand, and I was fucked over for months by it. I identify my black dog as a 300lb Rottweiler with an attitude. So I for one would not advocate the use of medication at all in treating depression. The talking cure works if you give it a chance. But the best thing to do SpallaCamiccia is to seek professional help, and find out what works for you and then stick with it. It will be hard work but good luck with it.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry don't agree with you here the situation is different for each individual in relation to addiction. I stopped drinking(sigh) and I did it without medication or AA or anything else for that matter. It was a hard ask but it was something I had to do, death doesn't become me, so it was cold turkey. And I have a had a lot to with junkies some of whom were friends (a long time ago) so i know about addictive personalities.
How does this relate to what I posted? What are you disagreeing with? I don't see you talking about the same thing I'm talking about.
As for depression I had my first attack at 19 and didn't have it diagnosed till I was 26. I went and spoke with a Freudian psychiatrist after ending up in a hospital casualty ward, I went seeking help after being that close to topping myself, I spoke with him for an hour and then sage like he say's 'your depressed'. Like tell me something I don't know, ******* idiot but it was enough to get a lot of **** off my chest and take that first step. I'm 53 now and learned how to identify the warning signs and take action but sometimes no help was at hand, and I was fucked over for months by it. I identify my black dog as a 300lb Rottweiler with an attitude. So I for one would not advocate the use of medication at all in treating depression. The talking cure works if you give it a chance.
?

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Seriously, just stfu and get a clue. You have no idea what you're talking about. Your ignorance of this topic is basically trolling.

People with addictive behavior or people that are addicts (which the OP mentioned he was) can't do any of the emotional work that you're talking about until they achieve some sobriety which times can't be done without some sort of medication. If you had a clue about this topic, you'd know that.

Once again, depression isn't about willpower and neither is addiction.

As I said before to the OP, please, PLEASE don't listen to ANY of the info in this thread. Much of it is dangerous and extremely ignorant.

I work in the social science field FFS. I come across depressed people all the time. The DSM IV provides the criteria for depression, but it also states that there is no clinical test. "˜Depression' = unresolved issues. I cannot make it any clearer than that.

You do realise that every single individual is addicted to something, right? We don't need to isolate any gene. We're all addicts. Of course, there are degrees of addiction. Also, drugs can assist in controlling moods, but you're basically telling the OP to jump from one drug to another. This is extremely negative and fraught with danger.

Willpower is the key to everything. When a client presents his story, I can do no more than to listen and reflect what I'm hearing. Together, we'll work on a plan/goal. If the client isn't ready to do this or withholds information, there is nothing that I can do. Everything rests on the client. You have to question the BS around depression. If the client is convinced it's a "˜chemical imbalance', they'll be stuck in that state for years and won't be able to function without all these drugs you're advocating. As I said before, self work is difficult, but it must be undertaken.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in the social science field FFS. I come across depressed people all the time. The DSM IV provides the criteria for depression, but it also states that there is no clinical test. "˜Depression' = unresolved issues. I cannot make it any clearer than that.

You do realise that every single individual is addicted to something, right? We don't need to isolate any gene. We're all addicts. Of course, there are degrees of addiction. Also, drugs can assist in controlling moods, but you're basically telling the OP to jump from one drug to another. This is extremely negative and fraught with danger.

Willpower is the key to everything. When a client presents his story, I can do no more than to listen and reflect what I'm hearing. Together, we'll work on a plan/goal. If the client isn't ready to do this or withholds information, there is nothing that I can do. Everything rests on the client. You have to question the BS around depression. If the client is convinced it's a "˜chemical imbalance', they'll be stuck in that state for years and won't be able to function without all these drugs you're advocating. As I said before, self work is difficult, but it must be undertaken.

What you're saying here is very scary on so many levels.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in the social science field FFS.
What "social science field"? I'll bet anything it has nothing to do with treating addicts, treating addicts with depression, and / or just treating depression. In fact, I guarantee it.
I come across depressed people all the time.
So do I just walking down the street.
The DSM IV provides the criteria for depression, but it also states that there is no clinical test.
I'm well aware of that. I never said there was.
‘Depression’ = unresolved issues. I cannot make it any clearer than that.
You might want to check what the DSM IV says about depression. I'll give you a hint, it talks about chemical imbalances and biological factors...
You do realise that every single individual is addicted to something, right?
No.
We don’t need to isolate any gene. We’re all addicts.
No.
Of course, there are degrees of addiction.
I get from your posts you don't know anything about addiction or treating addicts. Especially dealing with addicts who are newly sober and still depressed or early in recovery who don't have the ability yet to do deep feeling or emotional work that you're talking about in an individual or group therapy setting. In fact, I doubt you have any idea what deep feeling work, grief work, etc. is or what it has to do with.
Also, drugs can assist in controlling moods, but you’re basically telling the OP to jump from one drug to another. This is extremely negative and fraught with danger.
I said no such thing.
Willpower is the key to everything.
No. Especially with regards to addiction and depression. You couldn't be more wrong. Are you involved in Scientology? Seriously?
plain.gif
When a client presents his story, I can do no more than to listen and reflect what I’m hearing. Together, we’ll work on a plan/goal. If the client isn’t ready to do this or withholds information, there is nothing that I can do. Everything rests on the client. You have to question the BS around depression. If the client is convinced it’s a ‘chemical imbalance’, they’ll be stuck in that state for years and won’t be able to function without all these drugs you’re advocating. As I said before, self work is difficult, but it must be undertaken.
I hope you're not a therapist.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does this relate to what I posted? What are you disagreeing with? I don't see you talking about the same thing I'm talking about. ?
I am disagreeing with your whole approach here, that's for starters. Secondly you lack any understanding of what an addictive personality is for that matter. Otherwise you would understand the role that the talking cure plays in identifying the issues and enabling people to work through them. And as for putting people on medication that is not a cure. Also your comments display a total lack of knowledge in relation to depression or The Black Dog as its known. The best way to over come chemical imbalances in the body with depression is to increase your exercise load and change your diet. Of which you appear to ignorant of.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
What "social science field"? I'll bet anything it has nothing to do with treating addicts, treating addicts with depression, and / or just treating depression. In fact, I guarantee it.
I've worked all over in areas ranging from working with children to Family Constellation Therapy.

You might want to check what the DSM IV says about depression. I'll give you a hint, it talks about chemical imbalances and biological factors...
I'm not going to go through the entire DSM IV for you, but there was a big stink about how none of it can be proven. In fact, there is a passage contained within that basically says exactly that and protects the APA from litigation. Yes, it was quite recently pointed out to me. No, I don't have the page number on hand.

I get from your posts you don't know anything about addiction or treating addicts. Especially dealing with addicts who are newly sober and still depressed or early in recovery who don't have the ability yet to do deep feeling or emotional work that you're talking about in an individual or group therapy setting. In fact, I doubt you have any idea what deep feeling work, grief work, etc. is or what it has to do with.
Come now.

I said no such thing.
Yeah, you didn't, you basically did a checklist FFS

No. Especially with regards to addiction and depression. You couldn't be more wrong. Are you involved in Scientology? Seriously?
plain.gif
Certainly am.

I hope you're not a therapist.
That's nice.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worked all over in areas ranging from working with children to Family Constellation Therapy.

Now your posts make complete sense.

I'm not going to go through the entire DSM IV for you, but there was a big stink about how none of it can be proven. In fact, there is a passage contained within that basically says exactly that and protects the APA from litigation. Yes, it was quite recently pointed out to me. No, I don't have the page number on hand.

facepalm.gif

I have a feeling that this is a case of you using (and twisting) something you read about the APA and depression. The APA and DSM IV are quite clear about depression and its treatments. Anyway, without proof of what you're talking about (and I have no idea what that is) we can't really debate it.

Yeah, you didn't, you basically did a checklist FFS

That's right, I didn't. You're welcome to quote it and point it out. Whatever it is that you think I'm saying.

Certainly am.

Again, now your posts make complete sense. Or, should I say, nonsense? Scientology has no standing in any medical field and without any kind of medical certifications, neither do you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads