• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

logboy

Reaction score
i
Now I'm perplexed, not very encouraging, what you say.
i've said it all before, but it is worth repeating if you're thinking of ordering.

the customer service is very stereotypically french, and as unfortunate as it is to say, when you find such quality and it's impacted by aspects of indifference and carelessness, the best we can do is be careful and cross our fingers we cover the bases in what we ask for and how it's handled, to compensate for what they may not do so well themselves. it just has to be done diplomatically.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i

i've said it all before, but it is worth repeating if you're thinking of ordering.

the customer service is very stereotypically french, and as unfortunate as it is to say, when you find such quality and it's impacted by aspects of indifference and carelessness, the best we can do is be careful and cross our fingers we cover the bases in what we ask for and how it's handled, to compensate for what they may not do so well themselves. it just has to be done diplomatically.

Thanks for your explanation, insight and feedback. It's very bothersome indeed: from such a company totally committed to quality, as it seems, you would expect excellence in every aspect.

logboy

Reaction score
Thanks for your explanation, insight and feedback. It's very bothersome indeed: from such a company totally committed to quality, as it seems, you would expect excellence in every aspect.
exactly. they did not show an absolute commitment to quality. they were extremely quick to dismiss me and the issues i raised, rather than rush to put things right. they were arrogant too; i have umbrellas i paid 10% of the price for, that i've had for many years, that display none of the signs of damage that was on their umbrella when it arrived (apparently new) with me. they said i did not understand their work. i beg to differ - i don't have to make umbrellas to know you can protect wood from metal quite easily, and should do so.

Lucy J

Reaction score
Brighton sounds exciting!
Moving to Mayfair in February, may drop down to exercise my umbrellas!
Make sure you bring a sturdy umbrella if you're going anywhere near the seafront....
Up to 30mph and you shouldn't have too much of a problem;
30-50mph - hang on tight with both hands;
over 50mph - any umbrella is going to be really at risk;
70mph gusts - avoid the seafront - you won't even be able to open an umbrella.

And yes we get 70mph winds several times most winters!!

Lucy J

Reaction score
Further to previous discussion about Maglia umbrellas, I have mine with me today at the office and the weather has really turned, so in 10 minutes time I have the choice of risking it in 40mph gusts and horizontal rain, or accepting a soaking on my 20-25 minute walk home...... What's a girl to do???

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Further to previous discussion about Maglia umbrellas, I have mine with me today at the office and the weather has really turned, so in 10 minutes time I have the choice of risking it in 40mph gusts and horizontal rain, or accepting a soaking on my 20-25 minute walk home...... What's a girl to do???
A taxi!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I admire you for sticking to umbrella but I would just do synthetic shell at that point, I mean side rain just made umbrella useless regardless whether they can withstand the wind or not

Lucy J

Reaction score
You read my mind! Our office is in a pedestrianised complex so I needed the Maglia for the first 100 yards or so and was fighting to keep control of it even then until I got to the cab. When I got home I made a dash from the cab without even opening the brolly... Pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to keep the brolly up in that wind if I had walked home - that would almost have been a guaranteed #umbrellafail

Lucy J

Reaction score
Wretched drenching day here in Brighton... wind is not too bad (20-25mph) but the rain is heavy and continuous. Using my 68inch Gustbuster golf brolly to protect my fedora and Burberry trench coat. It's a day for the biggest umbrella you can find... 💦💦💦💦

Lucy J

Reaction score
Home safe now despite full on storm conditions in Brighton earlier. Wore my waterproof mac and beret (definitely NO fedora today) and used my 10-rib Longchamp walking brolly to get through lashing rain to a meeting at the Grand Hotel on the seafront at lunchtime. I really think the 10 ribs help to hold the canopy up when it's being battered by 50mph gusts..... It was one of those days where it's head down and hold the brolly in front of you like a shield, and hope it survives. Wind was even worse later with 70mph gusts but by then the rain had stopped.... I don't think I would have risked opening the brolly then, even if it had been pouring. As it was I was having to hold my beret on to stop it being blown off..... Calmer now and the worst has passed....

wasim

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thank you for starting and contributing to this thread, I’ve throughly enjoyed reading it. It always fascinates me when you can find a following and passion in the seemingly unassuming items we all may take for granted in daily life. I’ve recently got into umbrellas, I’ve always found them intriguing but only in the last few years have I been serious about investing in high quality pieces. Thank you for giving insight into brands that are unavailable or hard to find. I have done a lot of reading and watching (YouTube) to better educate myself, but there is no substitute for real life experience with said items.

I had some questions if you don’t mind indulging me: @logboy how come you don’t like Maglia for using Chinese frames? I appreciate the desire for domestic manufacture of all parts, but surely sourcing the highest quality parts, whilst constructed locally, is the best solution to a dwindling supply chain? For me, steel frames can rust, so if the frames in question are better than traditionally used materials/ previous manufacture, how does that disintegrate your enjoyment?

Also @Lucy J I have lived in Brighton for the last few years, I must keep missing all the storms/ extremely
windy days. It would be cool to have an umbrella meet up if you’re up for it? I love your detailed description of the local weather, I have to say I’ve only really ventured on the seafront to cycle on the path (often to Newhaven) and thankfully have missed most breezy days.

logboy

Reaction score
I had some questions if you don’t mind indulging me: @logboy how come you don’t like Maglia for using Chinese frames? I appreciate the desire for domestic manufacture of all parts, but surely sourcing the highest quality parts, whilst constructed locally, is the best solution to a dwindling supply chain? For me, steel frames can rust, so if the frames in question are better than traditionally used materials/ previous manufacture, how does that disintegrate your enjoyment?

chinese steel has a reputation as poor quality, and although some makers might be using ‘grade a’ chinese steel, it’s still destroyed steel industries across the world by undercutting prices. british steel has been world famous for centuries, and although not the only great steel industry or the only one decimated, british makers of umbrellas used it extensively for many decades.

maglia are coping with a dwindling supply chain by using chinese parts, by their own admission, but it’s not openly declared. they are working at a scale that has compromised its quality due to need for availability; they make tens of thousands each year, iirc.

this is similarly done by makers in england, where the promotional talk is of where it’s made, not what it’s made from. if talk of the sources for parts is made, it’s a brief mention hidden away, and it’s harder to be confident in.

there are exceptions to be found that aren5 compromising on quality, producing at small scale and with old frames that have been located in small quantities, for the best possible quality end product. the only one managing to communicate their quality entirely openly and honestly seems to be heurtault.

Lucy J

Reaction score
My Brigg solid stick gents walking brolly survived heavy driving rain and 45-50mph gusts in Brighton earlier today. I was worried that the seafront would be too wild for it so didn't venture out there, but even the side streets were testing my ability to hold it into the weather. Just about to head home and the rain has cleared but we're still getting 50mph gusts. That means I can tie the Brigg closed and use my spare hand to keep a tight grip on my fedora.... !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads