• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Umbrella aficionados thread

Lucy J

Reaction score
You'd have to send it to Fox I think. Are you in the UK and is it a full solid stick umbrella or a two piece (where the handle and shaft are different pieces of wood...?

Lucy J

Reaction score
Actually it doesn't look like a Fox with that metal ring holding the ribs when the brolly is closed - are you sure it's a Fox??

Lucy J

Reaction score
Tough day for my solid stick Brigg gents walking umbrella here in Brighton! Unseasonal heavy squalls of rain driven on 40-50 mph gusts mean it's a real challenge to keep the brolly facing into the wind and under control - lots of lesser umbrellas are not surviving.......

Lucy J

Reaction score
Had to close my Brigg umbrella on the walk home through a downpour last night... Raging gusts meant that I couldn't keep the brolly facing the wind and rain and it really felt as though even a Brigg walking brolly was going to be ripped completely inside out. Soaked when I got home but at least the brolly survived. Not sure any umbrella would have been safe to use in those conditions...

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the umbrella stories Lucy.
Was getting a bit worried today about my Mario Talarico umbrella.
Strong winds had developed and a storm was coming.
Decided to avoid using the umbrella.
Had the Burberry trench on though.

Lucy J

Reaction score
Thanks for the umbrella stories Lucy.
Was getting a bit worried today about my Mario Talarico umbrella.
Strong winds had developed and a storm was coming.
Decided to avoid using the umbrella.
Had the Burberry trench on though.
Where are you based? In the UK? Forecast for us tomorrow is suggesting heavy rain and gusts to 70mph! I don't think I will dare open any of my brollies - even the "stormproof" ones in that.... Will be a day for my hooded riding mac rather than a Burberry I think.....

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are you based? In the UK? Forecast for us tomorrow is suggesting heavy rain and gusts to 70mph! I don't think I will dare open any of my brollies - even the "stormproof" ones in that.... Will be a day for my hooded riding mac rather than a Burberry I think.....

You make the right decision.
No point in ruining a good umbrella.
Me based very far away from U.K.

Those Brigg golf Umbrellas have greatly increased in price too.
Was 190 GBP but now 290 GBP after only a year. :eek:

Lucy J

Reaction score
Heavy thunderstorms as i was walking home from the office last night, with tropical intensity rain battering my Brigg golf brolly. Thankfully very little wind as that sort of rain with strong to gale force winds would have been impossible for any umbrella to handle. Even with no wind I was soaked from the waist down as the rain was just bouncing up off the pavement. A day for the biggest umbrella you could find - people using little umbrellas were just getting completely drenched.....

Lucy J

Reaction score
So tonight we had the tropical rain AND the strong to gale force gusts. I had the choice of using my Gustbuster golf brolly, and having it blown inside out and getting soaked, or else not using my brolly and getting soaked anyway. I used the brolly for a while but it became obvious that it was pretty much out of control and just getting repeatedly blown inside out, so I gave up on the brolly and accepted a complete soaking... I needed my waterproof mac rather than a "stormproof# brolly.......

Lucy J

Reaction score
A couple of the girls at the office both lost their brollies in the storm last night...! They were both using "birdcage" umbrellas - the clear plastic ones that you can get right inside. Sadly the dome shape means that the sides of the brolly can take a real battering (as I know to my cost) when the wind is really strong, and they both suffered #umbrellafail with the umbrellas being completely blown in rather than blown out, and the frames were just crushed and broken. At least my Gustbuster golf brolly survived to fight another day even after repeated blowouts... My Burberry mac was still drying out this morning after my drenching last night, so I've had to wear a different mac to the office today.....

Lucy J

Reaction score
Had to close my James Smith 10-rib walking brolly earlier in Brighton. It blew completely inside out twice in 45mph gusts and although I got it back under control without damage I didn't want to risk the frame bending or breaking if it kept on taking a battering...

Lucy J

Reaction score
Expecting Storm Ciaran to hit us overnight and tomorrow. My walk to the office in the morning may be in torrential rain with 70-90mph gusts depending on which forecast model you believe. A day for my Arcteryx waterproof hooded jacket and my waterproof golf trousers plus long boots I think. Pretty sure no umbrella will be safe to use but I will take a straight handle golf brolly to help as a walking stick and to try to keep me on my feet in some of the more windswept corners. There are some places where the wind really howls on a normal windy day and they might be quite dangerous tomorrow.....

Lucy J

Reaction score
Just home from Wednesday evening meeting. Forced to close my Brigg walking length solid stick brolly as the wind was just threatening to rip it completely out of control. I decided not to take a golf size umbrella as I thought I would struggle with something that size in the wind that was forecast but even with my Brigg part closed the 55-60mph gusts were blowing it in all directions and I thought if the wind got under the canopy it would blow the brolly wide open and then maybe tear it inside out. Fortunately my waterproof mac kept me from getting soaked through in horizontal rain - and I didn't dare wear a hat in that wind... Tomorrow is likely to be much worse 😮

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are Maglia solid stick umbrellas ($400-$450) noticeably better in terms of construction, materials, and finish compared to a nice but more affordable option, like Kent Wang’s tiger hickory umbrellas?

In other words: are you getting more than just the luxury nameplate when you buy a Maglia?

logboy

Reaction score
Are Maglia solid stick umbrellas ($400-$450) noticeably better in terms of construction, materials, and finish compared to a nice but more affordable option, like Kent Wang’s tiger hickory umbrellas?

In other words: are you getting more than just the luxury nameplate when you buy a Maglia?

no idea about kent wang.

ive had maglia. remained unused, sold it when i found out they use chinese frames and have done for twenty years.

the ins and outs of value are many and varied. they’ll be bespoke, essentially, to some extent. they’re handmade. nice enough fabric. quite stylish.

for me, truth remains that i don’t like how some qualities are over emphasised and others downplayed or hidden. they’re a lot of money, and once things look illogically expensive, onus is on manufacturer to not spin but explain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics