• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL Simon Crompton thread (PermanentStyle.com)

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe so. I don’t think he’s cut since 2010-2012 (I’m not sure the exact date)

He’s only doing buttonholes now:

IMG_8859.png

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simon admits he wouldn't pay Liverano's prices for a coat!!!!

View attachment 2128515
Scrolling through the comments on his jacket, price is the main thing everyone wants to talk about.

At least @jonathanS won't have to worry about foreigners being charged more than locals at L&L. Everyone gets charged equally high prices.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scrolling through the comments on his jacket, price is the main thing everyone wants to talk about.

At least @jonathanS won't have to worry about foreigners being charged more than locals at L&L. Everyone gets charged equally high prices.

Haha, that’s true! Although, I doubt liverano any Italian customers! (Or very few.)

For what it’s worth, I believe Simon quoted trunk show pricing. Interestingly, this Simon article made it in both a group chat & a conversation between myself and a bespoke tailor, who’s a friend. I believe the price in Italy is closer to 8k€ but that might be excluding vat.

My complaint, btw, isn’t about a difference between trunkshow vs. non trunk show pricing. It’s about discriminating against people because they don’t look the same or speak the same language (where all fittings and ordering is done in Italy).

Perhaps it’s the American or lawyer it me, but that’s not right to me & I don’t do business with people who operate that way. But hey, with liverano, that’s not an issue. Everyone is taken advantage of equally, I suppose.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, that’s true! Although, I doubt liverano any Italian customers! (Or very few.)

For what it’s worth, I believe Simon quoted trunk show pricing. Interestingly, this Simon article made it in both a group chat & a conversation between myself and a bespoke tailor, who’s a friend. I believe the price in Italy is closer to 8k€ but that might be excluding vat.

My complaint, btw, isn’t about a difference between trunkshow vs. non trunk show pricing. It’s about discriminating against people because they don’t look the same or speak the same language (where all fittings and ordering is done in Italy).

Perhaps it’s the American or lawyer it me, but that’s not right to me & I don’t do business with people who operate that way. But hey, with liverano, that’s not an issue. Everyone is taken advantage of equally, I suppose.
I'm guessing most of L&L's customers are extremely rich Asians (quite a few trunk shows in Asia) and Americans from The Armoury. Locals probably go to the ex L&L cutters who are significantly cheaper.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing most of L&L's customers are extremely rich Asians (quite a few trunk shows in Asia) and Americans from The Armoury. Locals probably go to the ex L&L cutters who are significantly cheaper.
I’m not sure, but I’d venture to guess their clientele (or atleast target clientele) doesn’t read styleforum or permanent style (judging by the comments section!)

St1X

Reaction score

Trunk show prices are higher as tailors have to book flights, hotels and show rooms. So it makes sense you are charged a higher price for that. But not twice as much. Also, I wonder how taxation works in this case?! And do you pay tailors at the trunk show or do they bill you later? I.e. If L&L gets a few customers in the US, they'll raise a few tens of thousands. I assume the Uncle Sam would want his piece of a pie for that large sum of a money 🤷

Reaction score
What do you base this on?

Guida was never the head cutter. He was the workshop manager.

Antonio, before qemal, was the cutter. He’s old though - Vittorio was in between qemal & Jin.

who going to teach the next generation if Antonio passes & Jin leaves? There’s no real succession plan. It’s not like panico or Ciardi who’s son has taken (sons took over) over cutting prior to the passing of the old master. Last I heard, they were trying to teach taka to cut. Perhaps they need Jin to have an ownership stake to stay.

Old masters pass all the time, and sometimes their Sartoria follows - vestrucci retired completely, and tomasco folded the vestrucci brand into stefano bemer. At the same time, stefano bemer - the brand continued after the passing of stefano.

liverano’s rtw has its own issues though, so it’s not exactly clear. But, Perhaps that’s the solution?
Any opinion on Guida?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If L&L gets a few customers in the US, they'll raise a few tens of thousands. I assume the Uncle Sam would want his piece of a pie for that large sum of a money

At the trunk shows I’ve placed an order at I get an invoice a couple days after the trip is over and they are presumably back in Italy. This would avoid the tax implications I imagine since the “sale” takes place outside of NYC.

Also, it’s prob why ordering through The Armoury is significantly more (sales tax and import duties), cause they’d not be able to circumvent this being a B&M establishment collecting money in NYC.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any opinion on Guida?

I have no personal experience with guida, but he’s in Prato & his stuff looks good.

Honestly, look at that coat, are you really telling me the liverano coat is better?

I’m not sure about the finishing details, but he seems decent. 2 others ive heard good things about in Florence are hojun choi & sartoria seminara

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trunk show prices are higher as tailors have to book flights, hotels and show rooms. So it makes sense you are charged a higher price for that. But not twice as much. Also, I wonder how taxation works in this case?! And do you pay tailors at the trunk show or do they bill you later? I.e. If L&L gets a few customers in the US, they'll raise a few tens of thousands. I assume the Uncle Sam would want his piece of a pie for that large sum of a money 🤷

You pay import taxes, generally.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the time they'll bill you later when they get home. You won't pay sales tax or VAT but you could be tagged with import taxes.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, it’s prob why ordering through The Armoury is significantly more (sales tax and import duties), cause they’d not be able to circumvent this being a B&M establishment collecting money in NYC.
Based on Simon's post, doesn't seem like The Armoury and non trunk show prices are that different excluding VAT. I've never ordered L&L through The Armoury but I imagine those prices include import but excludes sales taxes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads