• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL No Purchase Club for OCTOBER 2014:

aDrummingDude

Reaction score
Darn, the Brooks Brothers sale is in October. On the other hand, my wife made mention just this morning of how many things I've purchased recently....again, darn.

Okay, I'm in, as long as tailoring doesn't count...and good for $20 if I slip up.

Wow, this is tough, maybe I really DO have a problem.
confused.gif

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the "spirit" of the club is to be happy with what you have. I see no reason why alterations cannot be undertaken before, and during, the challenge. Let's make this manageable, not miserable.

Alterations are permitted*, as are pre-existing obligations!

*note, Bespoke =/= an alteration :)

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Since we all are trying to restrain our spending, let's get some motivational(ish) conversation going.

What do you prioritize with your spending on clothing and the like? In other words, what do you spend the extra money on to get something really good or special, and what do you deem as something on which you can cut corners? Why?

Things will spend more on: Knitwear, Suits, Sportcoats, Shoes, Timepieces

Things I'll shoot for less on: dress shirts(still try for some customization), ties(ties can always be found on sale, however, I will always consider Hober), denim, trousers, casual shirts.

If this doesn't interest anyone, then just leave me here to my own thoughts.

I agree with this list in theory, but it can be very difficult to find inexpensive RTW shirts, both dress and casual, that are not cut like tents. You generally need to pay to get quality dress trousers as well. I'll give you more casual trousers. The solution is to own fewer, but higher quality, items.

I find it difficult to spend a lot of money on clothing that I wear exclusively during the summer -- i.e., shorts, T-shirts, lightweight sneakers.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Since we all are trying to restrain our spending, let's get some motivational(ish) conversation going.

What do you prioritize with your spending on clothing and the like? In other words, what do you spend the extra money on to get something really good or special, and what do you deem as something on which you can cut corners? Why?

Things will spend more on: Knitwear, Suits, Sportcoats, Shoes, Timepieces

Things I'll shoot for less on: dress shirts(still try for some customization), ties(ties can always be found on sale, however, I will always consider Hober), denim, trousers, casual shirts.

If this doesn't interest anyone, then just leave me here to my own thoughts.

I think this is an interesting question, and I will give you a somewhat related answer. I think I need a month to realize where the holes in my wardrobe are, and what I am just mindlessly accumulating. I love when my wardrobe feels worn, and it has been feeling more like a museum, and less like a wardrobe of late. So I think I will try to spend more on things I actually need, and less on things I actually want.

As for things I will spend more / less on--I will spend more on dress shirts, suits, SCs, trousers, and dress shirts. But I am trying to spend and accumulate slowly.

I have less of a casual wardrobe than I do a dress wardrobe, and there are certain things I really just don't need--especially on the CM end. I need more casual shoes, I really don't need any more dress shoes. I need more dress trew, I have no need for more ties. I have some nice knitwear, and I have yet to wear any of it. I need a little while to think harder on what I actually need I think, instead of running in every different direction!

aDrummingDude

Reaction score
^^I second the need for more casual shoes. Dress shoes I have till the end of time, but of all things, those are my vice.

I'll also splurge on suits and blazers, sometimes on dress trousers and denim. Dress shirts, casual shirts, shorts, and ties I won't ever spend real money on. It's too easy to find passable ones at uber-deep discounts.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, that's completely false but for the sake of my balance sheet, I'm trying to convince myself it's truth.

Last edited:

PDandG

Reaction score
I agree with this list in theory, but it can be very difficult to find inexpensive RTW shirts, both dress and casual, that are not cut like tents. You generally need to pay to get quality dress trousers as well. I'll give you more casual trousers. The solution is to own fewer, but higher quality, items.

I find it difficult to spend a lot of money on clothing that I wear exclusively during the summer -- i.e., shorts, T-shirts, lightweight sneakers.

I spend less on shirts and trousers compared to what I would spend on sportcoats, shoes, or outerwear.

Pants and shirts get worn out and potentially stained more quickly for me, so I avoid going for the higher priced items.

I agree with your observations here. My ideals from my previous post are theory heavy. One must practice:

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A comrade has already fallen...

So much for the NPC for me. Just ordered a Scott and Charters cardigan/jacket. Should have done it last night...

The poor man.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads