• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical Barbour Thread

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And that's true for all the SL Bedale models? They fit drastically differently I've noticed from the few I have managed to try on depending on the style. The "Made for Japan" SL Bedales seem to have extraordinarily high armholes and be a good size slimmer than the SL Bedale that is for the Euro marketplace.

kentpope

Reaction score
And that's true for all the SL Bedale models? They fit drastically differently I've noticed from the few I have managed to try on depending on the style. The "Made for Japan" SL Bedales seem to have extraordinarily high armholes and be a good size slimmer than the SL Bedale that is for the Euro marketplace.

Not sure, really. I bought my SL Bedale from an online shop in London but wasn't aware of any difference between those and a "Made for Japan" line. I tried a regular liner with mine and it was workable to some extent but it didn't really fit all that well.

kentpope

Reaction score
Is it possible to achieve the vintage look without exposing the jacket to water? It doesn't rain much here in SoCal. Can I do it with the jacket on a hanger and mist it with a water sprayer bottle?

I would not do this. First of all, misting it with a sprayer bottle isn't really a good approximation of what rainfall is. So you may end up with weird looking marks. Secondly, water alone isn't going to do much as far as making it look vintage. The actual wearing of the jacket, in combination with the moisture, is what gives it the "wear and tear" you're looking for. Even if you do mist it, it's just not practical to wear a Barbour in the Southern California heat this time of year.

I live in LA and more or less only wear mine when it rains (even the, that's only 5-6 months out of the year). Unless it rains a lot, it's going to take longer to break in. That also means you're jacket is going to last longer in between rewaxing.

If you really want the vintage look sooner, buy a used one or go on vacation somewhere where it rains a lot. Don't fake the funk, bro.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure, really. I bought my SL Bedale from an online shop in London but wasn't aware of any difference between those and a "Made for Japan" line. I tried a regular liner with mine and it was workable to some extent but it didn't really fit all that well.

I tried these two on in the very same store yesterday:

http://www.stuartslondon.com/coats-...e-window-pane-olive-jacket-mwo0187ol71-p18022

http://www.endclothing.co.uk/barbour-japanese-sl-windowpane-bedale-jacket-mwx0584ol71.html

The latter, marked Japanese, had very high armholes and narrow sleeves. It was a full size smaller if not more than the same size in the former.

That's why I suspect that Barbour took the SL moniker they had been using in the Japanese market, but altered the cut when they brought the SL models to the rest of the world.

So my conclusion, based albeit on limited information, was that there are two different SL models entirely, the Japanese SL and the rest of the world SL. And I suspect that the lining situation will differ for both!

I hope the rest of the world SL is compatible with regular liners rather than the expensive cultizm ones.

Which exact jacket is your SL?

Last edited:

kentpope

Reaction score
I hope the rest of the world SL is compatible with regular liners rather than the expensive cultizm ones.

Which exact jacket is your SL?

I have the "rest of the world" SL that I purchased from Stuarts London. It's a size 36. I wear a small in pretty much every other Jacket (Ashby, Commander) so I'd say it's true to size.

I tried one of the Barbour Polarquilt liners from J. Crew in a size small and it was a tad too big for the SL. It zipped in fine but didn't quite feel right so I returned it. In a pinch you could make it work though.

Willnz93

Reaction score
I've been living in Australia for 2 years but will be moving back to the wonderful wet and windy climate of the northern half of the UK in 2 weeks. I'm thinking ahead a bit and am looking for a new versatile jacket to get me through the autumn and winter as I have acclimatised to thinking 17degreesC is cold...

Very interested in a barbour as I've only heard good things about the quality and I can't imagine myself wanting to buy another coat for a few years and hence it could be a good investment.

I'm not really a huge fan of the waxed look personally but a few of the non-waxed items have caught my eye. I particularly like the look of the Stratus Jacket but they don't seem to be stocked anywhere but online at the moment.

https://www.outdoorandcountry.co.uk/mens-barbour-stratus-waterproof-jacket.html

Haven't seen any posts about this one and I've done a couple of searches around and found nothing in particular. Anyone have any experience with this Jacket?

Bellafonte27

Reaction score
Has anyone here worn their Barbour jackets over suits (a la Sam Waterson in Law and Order)? I'm deciding to purchase either a Border or a Beaufort and would like some suggestions.

jhwendland

Reaction score
Has anyone here worn their Barbour jackets over suits (a la Sam Waterson in Law and Order)? I'm deciding to purchase either a Border or a Beaufort and would like some suggestions.

I wore my Bedale over suits all last winter to the office. It covered all of my suit jackets and was pretty comfortable to boot.

Bellafonte27

Reaction score
My bedale is a little short since I sized down and it doesn't cover the length of the suit. I was playing around with the idea of getting it lengthened vs just buying a longer coat.

smartie-pants

Reaction score
To those in the USA, I am about to order an SL Bedale from the End, as they now are shipping to the states. Is there anything I should be aware of in regards to shipping and returns?

I have have a Bedale but am really interested in the SL version which the End has in a small. The one I currently have is a size 34, but the SLs come in a s,m ,l.
Do you think there will be a major difference in the cut or silhouette?

Lastly, most of the Barbour stuff is on sale now!

kentpope

Reaction score
To those in the USA, I am about to order an SL Bedale from the End, as they now are shipping to the states. Is there anything I should be aware of in regards to shipping and returns?

I have have a Bedale but am really interested in the SL version which the End has in a small. The one I currently have is a size 34, but the SLs come in a s,m ,l.
Do you think there will be a major difference in the cut or silhouette?

Lastly, most of the Barbour stuff is on sale now!

I wear a 34 in the regular Bedale which I've found is more or less equivalent to the small in a SL version. Might be a slight difference as I've never tried them on side by side though. Hope that helps.

smartie-pants

Reaction score
I wear a 34 in the regular Bedale which I've found is more or less equivalent to the small in a SL version. Might be a slight difference as I've never tried them on side by side though. Hope that helps.

THANKS for replying as this is incredibly helpful!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rieux