• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OCBD roundup (with pictures)

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
genericman, why so formal for grad school? Besides, wmmk is right. Stick with whites and blues if you want a more professional look. Switch it up with stripes, checks, and tattersall if you want to look like you work in an office. Now that I think about it, that's really boring. Wear whatever you want. It's grad school, not like it's real life or anything.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on the field, metal t-shirts, Dickies, Docs and tats may be perfectly accpetable.

genericman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
genericman, why so formal for grad school? Besides, wmmk is right. Stick with whites and blues if you want a more professional look. Switch it up with stripes, checks, and tattersall if you want to look like you work in an office. Now that I think about it, that's really boring. Wear whatever you want. It's grad school, not like it's real life or anything.
my hospital requires students to dress business casual with a tie when working with patients. sucks, but makes sense. btw, do you think it's appropriate if my uniform consist a pair of slim chino, ocbd, 2-3 inch tie, and sperrys with socks. ive been rocking it the last couple years minus the shirt and tie. don't want to get pulled into the principles office...or should i just stick with the brooks brother look?

bohemianmidnight

Reaction score
my version(tell me if teh pics are too big and i'll just link them...):

XS BoO oxford:

IMG_0010.jpg

tucked in:

IMG_0022-1.jpg

S BoO overdyed:

IMG_0046.jpg

tucked in:

IMG_0041-1.jpg

S Urban Outfitters oxford:

IMG_0019-1.jpg

tucked:

IMG_0014-1.jpg

S Uniqlo oxford(way too big):

IMG_0031-1.jpg

36/xs Fred Perry ss microgingham:

IMG_0059-1.jpg

JO3B

Reaction score
first, that doesn't look like oxford cloth on the ocbd.

second, uniqlo's shirts go down to an XS, so if you wear an S in BoO , you might consider that size next time.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
Depending on the field, metal t-shirts, Dickies, Docs and tats may be perfectly accpetable.

True story. I have a genuine metal head in my cohort. He wears nothing but band shirts and black jeans tucked into combat boots. Seems to get along alright.

Originally Posted by genericman
my dental school requires students to dress business casual with a tie when working with patients. sucks, but makes sense.

btw, do you think it's appropriate if my uniform consist a pair of slim chino, ocbd, 2-3 inch tie, and sperrys with socks. ive been rocking it the last couple years minus the shirt and tie. don't want to get pulled into the principles office...or should i just stick with the brooks brother look?

Sounds fine. Pretty much the definition of business casual. Sperrys are definitely a step up from some of the Kenneth Coles you're bound to see. Corduroy could be good to mix into the wardrobe as well. Perhaps you could substitute a sportcoat for the tie?

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by genericman
i've been wearing mainly BoO(on sale) for my casual shirts, but i'm about to start grad school so i need something where i can tuck. thinking about picking up a couple lands' end tailored fit hyde park in light blue and white. since there is a lack of variety in color, i might just dye a few white shirts in green, red, brown, black, etc.

what do you guys think?

What kind of grad school are you going to?
I'd wait and see or ask someone how people dress there before doing anything. I go to law school and most people still wear jeans/tees/hoodies, maybe a bd... and the few that are dressed up normally seem to do so not because of school, but because they have work or such on that day as well.

bohemianmidnight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI
I like the urban outfitters shirt. I don't know, but the hem on the BoO looks a bit weird on you. How tall are you?

yea... the uo one fits pretty damn well. great deal too at $20 on sale. the BoO hem looks a bit short in the pic but i was wearing those cords pretty low. it's usually about 2-3" below the waist of my pants on the side and easily tuckable. Oh, i'm 5'9.5-5'10 and about 135 lbs.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want perfect fit find a tailor. I found one that will make shirts for $109 with the best English and Italian fabric. Buy two a year, have them fit perfect, beat them the **** up, and rebuy a year or two later. See now I don't have to worry and kill myself over finding the perfect shirt, and in the end I probably save money.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Interesting. I'm going to see how much Rugby oxfords+tailoring (sewn down box pleat, back darts, raised armhole, slimmed down sleeves) set me back, compared to custom shirts. I think I'd get better fabric quality and collar roll with the latter option, so I'd take it as long as the prices aren't too different. Out of interest, did you go bespoke or MTM?

Crazy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bohemianmidnight
yea... the uo one fits pretty damn well. great deal too at $20 on sale. the BoO hem looks a bit short in the pic but i was wearing those cords pretty low. it's usually about 2-3" below the waist of my pants on the side and easily tuckable. Oh, i'm 5'9.5-5'10 and about 135 lbs.
Bohemian, how recently did you get your UO ocbd? I really like the fit but I wonder if they still are selling them. Do you remember which of their house brands it was exactly?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads