• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

normalcy.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in line with my other depressing threads, i think i have come to accept i am normal. i had serious baller aspirations and made some serious cash for a few years but have decided they are neither worth it nor matter much. my priorities have shifted a great deal. am not buying clothes or anything really, as i've decided to save some serious cash and put some money into the house and get my financial ducks in a row. i think i have realized i don;t really need a huge house or other artifices of upper-middle class life. has anyone else come to terms with the fact that you are what/who you are and realized you're okay with it?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sound like you're having a midlife crisis.

As for myself, I'm still young and aspire to be baller.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have to a significant degree. In some ways, it comes with age. Getting older sharpens my focus on doing what really counts and what I truly enjoy. Each year, I get better at it--probably for having tried enough stuff that doesn't do it for me and having sought what does.

I read your other threads and thought that you sounded sensible, not dumb. You need to live a life that actually makes you happy.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
in line with my other depressing threads, i think i have come to accept i am normal. i had serious baller aspirations and made some serious cash for a few years but have decided they are neither worth it nor matter much. my priorities have shifted a great deal. am not buying clothes or anything really, as i've decided to save some serious cash and put some money into the house and get my financial ducks in a row. i think i have realized i don;t really need a huge house or other artifices of upper-middle class life. has anyone else come to terms with the fact that you are what/who you are and realized you're okay with it?
We probably would find we have nothing in common if we met, but I know exactly how you feel. We're the same age and I'm hitting the same wall. Similar situation too.

The hardest thing is getting used to being happy with what one has and not having to keep fulfilling adolescent dreams.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in line with my other depressing threads, i think i have come to accept i am normal.
No you're not.

photo-173.jpg

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It sounds like you've found out what is "enough" for you. As in, one doesn't need more of something to be happy.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's my suit of armor; inside i am normal

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sound really angsty kunk. But congrats on accepting the reality of who you are.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm younger than you (I think), and I know what you're feeling man.

I don't want a big house, I don't want 5 cars, I don't want 15+ suits and shoes, I don't need to live in the hippest/ritziest area, I just want simple ****. But I haven't yet ruled out trying to make baller cash. I feel like I can do it, but I just don't need to be blowing it on dumb ****.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yeah, i think that's where i'm at. unless massive money came easy (lotto anyone?) i don;t think it'sworth it.most ballers i know have sacrificed a lot-scruples, family time, etc.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I come from the East Coast and have lots of friends who are still iBankers and making some pretty decent cash (I thought that industry was dead???) but their lives kinda suck. Work all week, no savings whatsoever, some have debt, no money stocked away in assets, drug/prostitute problems, all the stereotypes basically.

And I'm stuck here at law school that's so hierarchy obsessed it's ridiculous. I am pretty sure I loathe 95% of my classmates; whether I know them or not. Everybody thinks he/she's going to be a baller. It seems as though few people are graduating with debt and everyone it seems like drives a ******* M3. Barf. Clearly you didn't buy it yourself you dumb *****; your parents did. Quit riding off their coattails. Anyway, my environment has just clearly shown to me what it is that I don't want to become.

I'm just happy that it happened relatively early in my life.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
You sound really angsty kunk. But congrats on accepting the reality of who you are.

+1

Kunk, I worked for about 10 plus years in high tech companies, most of that in start ups. the basic idea was to make a huge chunk is stock options and be able to retire, or semi retire, by the age I am now. didn't work. that's life.

when I left israel I was working for a large high tech company there - a fortune 1000 company. my dream there was to be a VP, I left as a director. two of my friends who were below me on the totem pole but stayed are now VPs. every now and again I get a little pissed off that I didn't hold out for it. then I remember that while they have the cool title and the jaguar and the huge house etc., they are killing themselves and never see their kids or wives and their lives really suck.

embrace your life, enjoy it.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
+1

Kunk, I worked for about 10 plus years in high tech companies, most of that in start ups. the basic idea was to make a huge chunk is stock options and be able to retire, or semi retire, by the age I am now. didn't work. that's life.

when I left israel I was working for a large high tech company there - a fortune 1000 company. my dream there was to be a VP, I left as a director. two of my friends who were below me on the totem pole but stayed are now VPs. every now and again I get a little pissed off that I didn't hold out for it. then I remember that while they have the cool title and the jaguar and the huge house etc., they are killing themselves and never see their kids or wives and their lives really suck.

embrace your life, enjoy it.

There are always trade-offs and compromises. I was watching an interesting talk by Alain De Bottoin, about fortune and luch and achievement and all that - and one of his main arguments is how we should always view success in a specific context, all other things considered - from luck to sacrifice.

Family? That's cool. But that shouldn't rule your life in my opinion, at least as long as you don't use it as an excuse for giving up in life (which isn't personally directed at you, since you still seem more or less going somewhere)

--------------------

Now Kunk. Seriously. WTF. Thread number 15 about this? You really need to figure **** out and start moving in some direction. I don't think saving and settling is going to change much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads