1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

normalcy.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by thekunk07, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

Nice one, Metro. I have been musing about this thread for the last few days and you hit on a few of my key thoughts there. You are a good writer...I assume you are drunk, no?

2. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure my life is not normal.

3. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Well-Known Member

Nice one, Metro. I have been musing about this thread for the last few days and you hit on a few of my key thoughts there. You are a good writer...I assume you are drunk, no?

Thanks for the compliment. I am surprisingly not drunk - surprisingly in that just as of 10 days ago I am on a new mission to not drink more then 3 drinks in any one drinking outing. It's a pathetic crutch I tend to use to get laid. Unsurprisingly, I have not gotten laid since I started abstaining. [​IMG]

4. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Well-Known Member

The hardest thing is getting used to being happy with what one has and not having to keep fulfilling adolescent dreams.

They die hard, but it is incredibly liberating to let them go--or at least save them for vacations.

Both of these... QFT.

I never had baller aspirations, but I did always want to live some crazy bohemian lifestyle. A little artistic, a little wild, and a little off-the-wall. Unfortunately, a reality check hit me towards the end of undergrad... People need money to live this lifestyle and no chick wants to be with some dirtbag intellectual. Grad school didn't turn out the way I had hoped and I left with the MA, not the PhD. Now I'm searching for meaning in a seemingly bland life with a boring 9-5, shacked up with my old lady, living in Long Island.

Certainly not the life I had wished for myself, but you know what? It's really not that bad. I got my Master's, no one can take that away from me. I found a job in the worst economy since the Great Depression. While my job is boring, I believe in what I'm doing and I'm working for a good cause. I live with the woman I love and who is willing to do anything for me. Long Island still isn't where I would like to be, but I do commute to the city each day, the Island does have plenty of beaches and parks close by, and I live in a semi-urban area.

My adolescent dreams may not have been reached, but my adult dreams are just being formed. I agree with Metro that one has to be happy in the present, or else they will be continually searching for that one thing they believe will make them happy. The grass is always greener...

5. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

Both of these... QFT.

I never had baller aspirations, but I did always want to live some crazy bohemian lifestyle. A little artistic, a little wild, and a little off-the-wall. Unfortunately, a reality check hit me towards the end of undergrad... People need money to live this lifestyle and no chick wants to be with some dirtbag intellectual. Grad school didn't turn out the way I had hoped and I left with the MA, not the PhD. Now I'm searching for meaning in a seemingly bland life with a boring 9-5, shacked up with my old lady, living in Long Island.

Certainly not the life I had wished for myself, but you know what? It's really not that bad. I got my Master's, no one can take that away from me. I found a job in the worst economy since the Great Depression. While my job is boring, I believe in what I'm doing and I'm working for a good cause. I live with the woman I love and who is willing to do anything for me. Long Island still isn't where I would like to be, but I do commute to the city each day, the Island does have plenty of beaches and parks close by, and I live in a semi-urban area.

My adolescent dreams may not have been reached, but my adult dreams are just being formed. I agree with Metro that one has to be happy in the present, or else they will be continually searching for that one thing they believe will make them happy. The grass is always greener...

[​IMG]

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Living is....the death of the everyday.

7. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

You have no idea how much I agree with this.

This is the answer. How many times have I posted here that the secret to sleeping well at night is to live way below your means? I might take shit here for wearing AE shoes and MyTailor shirts, but those are far better than what 99% of men wear and we put money in the bank every single pay cheque. I'm not going to say my young adult angst is completely gone, but I sure as hell have been sleeping sounder since I realized, many years ago, I should spend money only to make me happy, not impress someone else.

Enjoy your life, enjoy what you can reasonably afford, and fuck everyone else.

Great post.

8. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

I don't have anything to add other than echoing the advice to live below your means. You have no idea how many worlds Ive seen come crashing down over the last year. Low level execs who can't come dine out or vacation becuase theyre stressed over a mortgage payment... it boggles the mind. People are really slaving away at these jobs so they can stay on top of a house payment?!

Free yourself from those middle class traps and make sure youre working for something more than your immediate survival.

Bot Long Island still isn't where I would like to be, but I do commute to the city each day, the Island does have plenty of beaches and parks close by, and I live in a semi-urban area.

Why don't you move to the city?

9. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Well-Known Member

Why don't you move to the city?

Financial reasons for starters. My fiance and I are starting to save for a wedding, and possibly a house down the road.

Also, my SO has a good job out in Northport. It just wouldn't be possible for her to commute out to the Island. Mine is made much easier by the subway.

10. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

no chick wants to be with some dirtbag intellectual

Requoted for that dirty Quebecer Fuuuuuma.

[​IMG]