• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicholas Templeman: A Bespoke Shoemaker

Punt

Reaction score

You are a very very talented guy! Wow!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Possibly of interest to future Templeman customers? Nicholas was nice enough to make some sample aprons for me when I couldn't decide on what to get for a pair of NSTs. I shot some photos to solicit some opinions from friends, but then decided to post them in here in case anyone in the future found them helpful.

Included is a "pie crust"/ split-and-lift apron, as you would find on Edward Green. Then there's Nicholas' braided apron -- one where the braid is on both sides, and another where there's a braid only on one side (for a more understated look)

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Included is a "pie crust"/ split-and-lift apron, as you would find on Edward Green. Then there's Nicholas' braided apron -- one where the braid is on both sides, and another where there's a braid only on one side (for a more understated look)
Which did you end up going with?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Which did you end up going with?

Actually still to be determined, but I promised Nicholas I would settle on a style by Wednesday. I'm leaning towards a simpler design though, so no braiding.

Here's something that might also be helpful to future customers -- a drawing Nicholas sent to me of various hand stitching techniques for aprons. More options here than what's pictured above. I'm between the raised lake on the upper left hand corner and the "pie crust"/ split and lift apron, like you'd see on Edward Greens.

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Here's something that might also be helpful to future customers -- a drawing Nicholas sent to me of various hand stitching techniques for aprons.

The underside of the 'flat seam' ('this side for split toe') is also known in the forum here as 'Frankenstitch'.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Pie Crust the most difficult to execute out of the 3 techniques?. I really like it.

Excellent info and pics. Thanks you both.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually still to be determined, but I promised Nicholas I would settle on a style by Wednesday. I'm leaning towards a simpler design though, so no braiding.

Here's something that might also be helpful to future customers -- a drawing Nicholas sent to me of various hand stitching techniques for aprons. More options here than what's pictured above. I'm between the raised lake on the upper left hand corner and the "pie crust"/ split and lift apron, like you'd see on Edward Greens.

Got something like this for my black plaintoes - from Meccariello - he said it was related to the pie crust/'infra carne' in italian but slightly different (I don't know how)

His wife doing the sewing
0.jpg

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^That one seems to be ornamentally stitched like figure nº1 (no stabbed).

Nicholas, what is the difference between figures 2 (split raised lake) and 5 (raised lake different leathers)?. Do you use the toe skin stitched/round close technique as well?.

Excellent work, thanks.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Meccariello stitch is essentially a flat seam/skin stitch without the seam - only going halfway through the leather, and puckering up slightly when the threads are tightened, but not as puckered as a raised lake a la fig.a. Highly Technical Diagram incoming:

The split raised lake is where the whole vamp is one piece, lake and sides, and you gently score your knife around the centre of the raised area for decoration. No different to the one next to it, technically. The one from two different leathers is used for things like the pie crust; for styles that necessitate a seperate lake (longer tongues for boots or wholecut derbies); or if you want to get all fancy with contrasting leathers.

Pie crust and flat seam are the fiddliest I guess, anything where you have to get the awl to come out the middle of a cut edge of 1.2mm leather repeatedly is going to be a bit scary. Different approaches are required for each, you can use a saddlers clam for a raised lake if you like, but for a flat seam you need a curved surface and a variety of straps and clamping devices to help you get the angle right. Some people use a milk bottle glued to a plate to hold the leather on, some others prefer a different shape like a glenfiddich bottle or something. Depends what whisky you like essentially.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads