1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NFL 2011/2012 Discussion

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by phreak, Jun 30, 2011.

1. phreak

phreak Well-Known Member

Well it finally looks as though the lockout is nearly over. Which means that all of the free agents and rookies will finally get a chance to sign before the camps open in July. With that being said, it's a great time to speculate where players could/should end up. There are some big names (http://www.nfltraderumors.co/2011-nfl-free-agents/ list of the top 50) that are sure to make a large impact on whichever unit they join. Asomugha is, imo, the best man cover defender in the league and will be highly sought after. My thoughts/hopes/predictions for the Colts in 2012: Indy struggled at times last in 2010/2011 because they have yet to improve their line play. Specifically run blocking and run stopping. They also don't pass block well but is hidden by Peyton being great. Polian (chris, not bill) used the first two picks to shore up their offensive line. Costanzo is arguably the most pro-ready rookie lineman in this draft and will likely start at left tackle which will move Charlie Johnson to his natural guard position. Ijalana(R) could start at right tackle which is a scary proposition having two rookies starting. But honestly, it's hard to imagine this line would be worse than last year. The defensive line, at times last year, was actually serviceable. A carousel of Johnson, Nevis(R), and Moala should have more success. Our pass defense will continue to be one of the best in the league. Partly because of the scheme, but also because we have some serious studs playing DB (If I remember correctly they had like 6 db's out at one point last year). They are young, fast, and definitely underrated. Indy is in desperate need of a FA signing. Bullit, who was a backup of Bob Sanders, has been the starter but he got hurt. Francisco, although dreadful and is a special teams player, we dealt with because he was honestly the only option for most of the season. A tandem of Bethea and FA Quentin Mikell sounds pretty damn good after what we had to witness last year. Injuries were not favorable to Indy last year (see below) The Indy offense. Oh what a thing of absolute beauty it can be. It relies on precision gained through repetition and a quarterback to out-maneuver defenses and to find weak spots in coverage. Consistency is imperative but was elusive last year. Indy had a myriad of injuries to skill position players last year but we did get a taste of what they can do. Peyton had 1350+ yards, 11 tds, with 1 int through 4 games last year. But also had a stretch of 3 games where he threw 11 ints. Injuries decimated whatever rhythm they had last year. Collie was an animal in the slot before those concussions, and Dallas was once again one of the top 3 receiving TE's. This is basically the same unit (one [​IMG] year older), save for a rookie 3rd down RB. Expect the offense to again near the top and efficiency and also near the lowest in time of possession lol (overly optimistic)Prediction: Another solid 12+ win regular season. There are only a few games that scare me as a Colts fan (Pitt NE Houston?? NO ATL) but I'm sure those teams don't like seeing Indy on the schedule either. Indy is favored in all but 4 of their games at this point and at 18:1 to win it all. It appears that Tennessee and Jax are rolling with rookie qbs (lol) so they most likely will not take a game. I really like Houston bringing in Wade Phillips to run that awful awful defense of theirs. Shaub/Foster/Johnson will again be potent but expect the foster/shaub td split to even out. Do NOT expect Foster to come close to last year without Vonta Leach. Indy continues it's dominance against a weaker than usual AFC South in route to home field throughout the playoffs where they avenge their SB loss against the Saints at Lucas Oil Stadium

1 person likes this.
  2. vaalbara

vaalbara Well-Known Member

I know that it's super unlikely, but I hope to god that the Eagles pick up Asomugha once free agency opens. I'm kinda worried this year though, though I guess our defense and OL doesn't really have anywhere to go but up. I don't think Vick's gonna have a magical season like he did last year, so hopefully the rest of the team steps up :|

3. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but it's going to bug the shyte out of me...

If this is going to become the official NFL 2011/12 threak, can you at least bother to capitalize all 3 letters of the NFL?

4. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Where did you hear that the lockout is over?

5. phreak

phreak Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but it's going to bug the shyte out of me... If this is going to become the official NFL 2011/12 threak, can you at least bother to capitalize all 3 letters of the NFL?
    I thought I did when I made the original title. And when I try to edit to "NFL" instead of "Nfl" the system auto-corrects to "Nfl". It bugs the shit out of me too. *EDIT* done
    Where did you hear that the lockout is over?
    Well just lots of speculation around the NFL blogosphere... http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl..._closer_062911 http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/6/3...soon?ref=yahoo

6. soxpats

soxpats Well-Known Member

Well it finally looks as though the lockout is nearly over. Which means that all of the free agents and rookies will finally get a chance to sign before the camps open in July. With that being said, it's a great time to speculate where players could/should end up. There are some big names (http://www.nfltraderumors.co/2011-nfl-free-agents/ list of the top 50) that are sure to make a large impact on whichever unit they join. Asomugha is, imo, the best man cover defender in the league and will be highly sought after.

My thoughts/hopes/predictions for the Colts in 2012: Indy struggled at times last in 2010/2011 because they have yet to improve their line play. Specifically run blocking and run stopping. They also don't pass block well but is hidden by Peyton being great. Polian (chris, not bill) used the first two picks to shore up their offensive line. Costanzo is arguably the most pro-ready rookie lineman in this draft and will likely start at left tackle which will move Charlie Johnson to his natural guard position. Ijalana(R) could start at right tackle which is a scary proposition having two rookies starting. But honestly, it's hard to imagine this line would be worse than last year. The defensive line, at times last year, was actually serviceable. A carousel of Johnson, Nevis(R), and Moala should have more success.

Our pass defense will continue to be one of the best in the league. Partly because of the scheme, but also because we have some serious studs playing DB (If I remember correctly they had like 6 db's out at one point last year). They are young, fast, and definitely underrated. Indy is in desperate need of a FA signing. Bullit, who was a backup of Bob Sanders, has been the starter but he got hurt. Francisco, although dreadful and is a special teams player, we dealt with because he was honestly the only option for most of the season. A tandem of Bethea and FA Quentin Mikell sounds pretty damn good after what we had to witness last year. Injuries were not favorable to Indy last year (see below)

The Indy offense. Oh what a thing of absolute beauty it can be. It relies on precision gained through repetition and a quarterback to out-maneuver defenses and to find weak spots in coverage. Consistency is imperative but was elusive last year. Indy had a myriad of injuries to skill position players last year but we did get a taste of what they can do. Peyton had 1350+ yards, 11 tds, with 1 int through 4 games last year. But also had a stretch of 3 games where he threw 11 ints. Injuries decimated whatever rhythm they had last year. Collie was an animal in the slot before those concussions, and Dallas was once again one of the top 3 receiving TE's. This is basically the same unit (one [​IMG] year older), save for a rookie 3rd down RB. Expect the offense to again near the top and efficiency and also near the lowest in time of possession lol

(overly optimistic)Prediction: Another solid 12+ win regular season. There are only a few games that scare me as a Colts fan (Pitt NE Houston?? NO ATL) but I'm sure those teams don't like seeing Indy on the schedule either. Indy is favored in all but 4 of their games at this point and at 18:1 to win it all. It appears that Tennessee and Jax are rolling with rookie qbs (lol) so they most likely will not take a game. I really like Houston bringing in Wade Phillips to run that awful awful defense of theirs. Shaub/Foster/Johnson will again be potent but expect the foster/shaub td split to even out. Do NOT expect Foster to come close to last year without Vonta Leach. Indy continues it's dominance against a weaker than usual AFC South in route to home field throughout the playoffs where they avenge their SB loss against the Saints at Lucas Oil Stadium

Not sure about all tis but the NEw JW Marriott they built in Indy is UNREAL!!!!!!!!!

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

I know that it's super unlikely, but I hope to god that the Eagles pick up Asomugha once free agency opens. I'm kinda worried this year though, though I guess our defense and OL doesn't really have anywhere to go but up. I don't think Vick's gonna have a magical season like he did last year, so hopefully the rest of the team steps up :|

I think the Eagles actually would be better served picking up Joseph instead of Asomugha.

8. phreak

phreak Well-Known Member

Haha so I guess I was wrong about the lockout being nearly over 3 weeks ago

Anyway, owners voted to end the lockout so now it's on the players. The first few days post-lockout could be interesting with all of the opportunities for teams to sign free agents

9. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Yep, it's nice. The city is getting all pretty for the Super Bowl, and tying up traffic in the process. :fu:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  10. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Reports say that the Eagles may be interested in having Favre on the team.

11. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I came here to poast this.

love it.

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Edinatlanta doesn't fail again!

Breaking News--players agree to labor deal, vote to recertify union expected for later today.

13. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Meh.

14. vaalbara

I hope to god this doesn't happen.

15. Douglas

Very bummed at the rumors that the Ravens are releasing Todd Heap. I suppose I get it from a business standpoint, and that that's just life in the NFL, but Heap really gave his body up for the team and this city. He'll be a drooling cripple at 45 for all the times Kyle Boller hung him out to dry over the middle. Was really hoping he would retire a lifetime Raven. He deserves it.

16. worldrunner

worldrunner Well-Known Member

FOOOOOOOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

my Patriots just upped the "please... HATE OUR TEAM (a lot of the time justifiably so)" ante by signing hayneswoth...

hopefully its more of a corey dillon outcome. then again randy moss did have one of the most awesome runs in WR history.

one thing I hate about living in NYC is not being able to really wear patriot stuff (like tshirts ect), you can actually wear celtics/redsox/bruins stuff because of the huge amount of transplants.

I've worn redsox tshirts to yankee stadium and been fine... but the patriots gear seem to bring the crazy out of the giants fans and even worse jets fans

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  18. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Only somewhat enthused that I'll be able to cheer the 49ers to yet another 7-9 season (if they're lucky).

On the other hand, excited to see if Austin Collie can make it an entire year of getting pummeled without getting injured.

19. vaalbara

Kolb to the cards for DRC and a 2nd round pick, with a 5 year 63 million contract. Wow.

20. Douglas

I always suspected Reggie Bush was going to be a bust... but check out these crazy stats (from ESPN).

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/tag/_/name/reggie-bush-traded-to-miami