• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shell Cordovan Shoes and Heel Pain - Now Known as Haglund's Deformity

andyw

Reaction score
Don't give up on the shoes, exert force to make them submit. Just think of the pressure imposed on the flat piece of leather while it is applied to the last.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Thanks for the suggestion, but this is definitely not plantar's foot - the pain is a visible red sore spot on the outside of the heel, about a 1/2 inch up from the bottom.

Do a search for "posterior heel pain" or bursitus if you want the common causes.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
I don't have any pain wearing any of my alden shells. I wear them and walk around close to 2 miles each day.

I suggest going to a podiatrist and getting an opinion - esp. since the pain is all so sudden and you did not have discomfort wearing the shoes before.

Yeah I might do that if the spot is sore for a couple more weeks. I figure it might be the all day walk-a-thon on pavement which caused this.

The other times I'd worn these shoes prior to the day out shopping was just from the parking lot to the office (maybe an 1/8 mile) and around the carpeted office halls, then back to the car, then home. And I did that maybe 4 times prior to my recent outing.

norton

Reaction score
I have four pairs of Alden shells in C width that I've never felt any pain wearing, however they feel very slightly wide in the instep so when I recently bought some alden longwings in shell I went for a B width. I noticed that while the shoes seem to fit perfectly they feel noticeably narrower in the heels and the first time I wore them there was a slight pain on the side of my heel. I've worn them to work several days now and they are slightly better each time.

I'd guess that your shoes are a little too narrow in the heels and that you over did it the before they were broken in. I'd let my foot heal and then try again and see if they broke in when worn with less walking.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update, for anyone who cares...

I found my problem: Haglund's Deformity

After doing some research, this is definitely what's causing my pain. Now it's a matter of sucking it up and trying to find a viable solution to the problem!
frown.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Update, for anyone who cares...

I found my problem: Haglund's Deformity

After doing some research, this is definitely what's causing my pain. Now it's a matter of sucking it up and trying to find a viable solution to the problem!
frown.gif

Sorry to hear this, but it's good that you now know what caused the pain. According to an SA I spoke with recently, a rigid heel back is characteristic of Alden shoes.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Sorry to hear this, but it's good that you now know what caused the pain. According to an SA I spoke with recently, a rigid heel back is characteristic of Alden shoes.

Yes apparently a rigid heel is a major culprit in these cases. I just got done reading a large thread from others who suffer:

Haglund's Thread, for anyone wanting to read more about it from other people experiencing this pain.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do but I definitely cannot wear any shell shoes for some time, that's for sure. I tried on the Vass shells yesterday, and couldn't even leave the house due to the intense pain right on the bump which formed on my right heel.

Some of my AE shoes are a bit more forgiving, so I'm going to narrow down my rotation to only a few pairs that are most comfortable, and possibly looking into orthotics.

My wife has the "pump bump" and now only wears shoes that have a softer heel when she knows she'll be doing a lot of walking.

I'm guessing that I've had this problem for quite some time and the day of shopping in the Alden shells was the straw that broke the camel's back
plain.gif

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So today I went back to wearing my old man shoes: Clark's un-structured .. in the hopes that reducing all pressure on the heel-bump will allow it to go away over time

Paired with a RLPL shearling bomber, BB milano slim fit chinos, and a RLBL button down shirt...

I feel kinda, you know,

carlos-mencia-2.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Comfort and health always comes before style ... I hope your feet heal soon.

+Infinity

Our feet have to last as long as we do, so treat them kindly folks!

Have you seen a podiatrist or orthopedist yet? Bursitis is treated with icing, rest, and NSAIDs like Aleve might help (as an anti-inflammatory), and you might also discuss getting a steroid shot with your medical professional. The first order of business is to bring down the swelling in the bursa, so that you can walk. Next order of business is to figure out what you need to do to prevent it recurring - only wear Clark's / Ecco's / Mephisto's, or get orthotics, or both.

Good luck, foot pain sucks!

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
+Infinity

Our feet have to last as long as we do, so treat them kindly folks!

Have you seen a podiatrist or orthopedist yet? Bursitis is treated with icing, rest, and NSAIDs like Aleve might help (as an anti-inflammatory), and you might also discuss getting a steroid shot with your medical professional. The first order of business is to bring down the swelling in the bursa, so that you can walk. Next order of business is to figure out what you need to do to prevent it recurring - only wear Clark's / Ecco's / Mephisto's, or get orthotics, or both.

Good luck, foot pain sucks!

Thanks. I haven't seen a doctor yet due to it being relatively minor compared with the other horror stories I've read about people who could no longer even walk in sneakers.

But I will do that if the problem persists while wearing softer shoes. I've already converted back to my Clark's for the time being and I plan on starting an icing routine daily in the evenings. One method suggested soaking the heel in warm water for 5 min, then icing for 30 seconds.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go see a doctor and get medical opinion early on. Too many people ignore (or postpone) proper treatment of feet related issues complicating the problem. Better safe than sorry.

Good point

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads