• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAY 18, 2015

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New SF member and not sure where to find the answer you're looking for? Have a quick question that doesn't belong in a current thread? Welcome, you found the right place.

This is a weekly thread where new users can ask quick questions and get a solid answer. If a thread already exists that would be more helpful, we will point you in the right direction. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.....so ask away!

Jinki Hong

Reaction score
I am travelling to Milan for about a week, and would like to get some advice on buying suits in Milan.
(Prefers it to be in Milan/last city of my trip, although going to Biella, Firenze, Vicenza, Naples area also unless these cities can offer some significantly better options than Milan)

Please kindly advise, considering below my conditions;
i. 2-3 basic suits with ~eur1,200 (would afford a bit more, giving up a plan for others like belts, shoes or shirts)
ii. 183cm/65kg too thin, and usual RTW 48/50 is often too big while no money for bespoke...so prefer shops that offers minor modifications. (any better idea? brands that offer suits for people like me?)
iii. ready to drive some distances for outlets if necessary.
iv. I only speak English
v. can get Biellese fabrics myself from Zegna, VBC etc. for 2-3 suits (for free ..), if getting fabric myself can help me getting a better suits.
vi. if above budget is enough to get the suits, good options for shirts/belts/shoes etc. in Milan area?

Thank you!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am travelling to Milan for about a week, and would like to get some advice on buying suits in Milan.
(Prefers it to be in Milan/last city of my trip, although going to Biella, Firenze, Vicenza, Naples area also unless these cities can offer some significantly better options than Milan)

Please kindly advise, considering below my conditions;
i. 2-3 basic suits with ~eur1,200 (would afford a bit more, giving up a plan for others like belts, shoes or shirts)
ii. 183cm/65kg too thin, and usual RTW 48/50 is often too big while no money for bespoke...so prefer shops that offers minor modifications. (any better idea? brands that offer suits for people like me?)
iii. ready to drive some distances for outlets if necessary.
iv. I only speak English
v. can get Biellese fabrics myself from Zegna, VBC etc. for 2-3 suits (for free ..), if getting fabric myself can help me getting a better suits.
vi. if above budget is enough to get the suits, good options for shirts/belts/shoes etc. in Milan area?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum, JH. Unfortunately for me, I have never been to Milan. I was able to find this thread that seems to have quite a few suggestions http://www.styleforum.net/t/303017/shopping-in-paris-and-milan

Enjoy your trip!

menswhere

Reaction score
I can tell I'm going to start to need a tux for a few times a year, and I hate the idea of renting. What's the best value out there, especially considering how infrequently I'll be wearing it? I'd prefer spend under a few hundred bucks -- Combatant Gent has one for $200, but everything I've read makes me think I'd just be throwing my money away. Is there anything out there that might not be quite as nice as J Crew or SuitSupply but that will look reasonably good?

Thanks!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I can tell I'm going to start to need a tux for a few times a year, and I hate the idea of renting. What's the best value out there, especially considering how infrequently I'll be wearing it? I'd prefer spend under a few hundred bucks -- Combatant Gent has one for $200, but everything I've read makes me think I'd just be throwing my money away. Is there anything out there that might not be quite as nice as J Crew or SuitSupply but that will look reasonably good?

Thanks!

Sorry bud, but to answer your last question, I'd have to say no. Your best bet is scouring eBay and our Marketplace. Maybe you can score a once used tux from someone within that range. Best of luck.

GoudaBuddha42

Reaction score
Before anything, I did take the time to search the forums before I posted this thread. I was unable to find an answer to my question.

Currently I am comtemplating buying a Gucci suit. I understand that Zegna makes their suit. The particular suit I have in mind is the Gucci Marseille Wool Silk Suit. Here is the description:

One of our best-selling models, the Marseille features a slim silhouette, structured shoulders, and an interior crest pocket for a refined look that translates to any occasion.
  • black wool silk
  • slim, tapered fit
  • 60% wool and 40% silk
  • Made in Italy
  • slim, tapered fit
  • jacket: 28.7" length
  • pant: 14" leg opening

characteristics:
  • slim, tapered fit
  • canvas construction
  • structured shoulders
  • notch or peak lapel
  • two buttons
  • single vent

What does everything think? Is it worth $1600? Retail is $3100.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, GB. Yes, Gucci is made by Zenga. I would never pay $1600 for a Gucci suit, but that's just me. What do you like about the suit? That might help me recommend something.

GoudaBuddha42

Reaction score
Two big things for me are quality and style.

I want a suit that has great quality and also a modern look. I also appreciate a slim, tapered look. That is why I like Hugo boss suits. However, I know their quality is horrendous.

Thanks!

PureLife304

Reaction score
Hello,

True "New Member" here, so thank you for your time and patience with me. Hope to gain a lot of advice and perspective from this group!

I'm in the preliminary process of searching out a bespoke suit for me wedding late this year. I wear suits every day for work, however after few hours on this board I apparently have no idea how they should fit. Because I'm always traveling in my suits and in environments that most suits aren't subjected to, I tend to buy Macy's suits when they are sell. However my 'dream' suits are Hickey Freeman (I hope that's not a 4 letter word around here!) as I think and have been told by a few tailors I've been to that the 48R fits me pretty true. (again I'm questioning this perspective based on the threads I've seen).

Regardless for my wedding I want at least one great suit, and I don't know of any better occasion to go bespoke than your wedding. I live in NYC and have been researching asking friends about their suits. One had mentioned Leonard Logsdail, which after looking at his site looked very interesting. Then I did a Google search and the 2nd hit was your forum and the below thread. After reading this thread in it's entirety I'm now even more confused (and nervous) about what I'm getting into. Who can you really trust, who is a good tailor (specifically in NYC), ect.

Any help or preliminary guidance you all can help me with would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to keep it under $4,000 if possible. Thank you all so very much!

http://www.styleforum.net/t/359109/leonard-logsdail-suit-with-pictures

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Two big things for me are quality and style.

I want a suit that has great quality and also a modern look. I also appreciate a slim, tapered look. That is why I like Hugo boss suits. However, I know their quality is horrendous.

Thanks!

I think you'd really like what Eidos has to offer. Awesome fabrics, full canvas construction, and a cut for just about everyone. Here is their current list of stockists:

I have a feeling you might like the Tipo. Here is the thread we have for them here on the forum. You'll see a few shots of me in there http://www.styleforum.net/t/358653/eidos-napoli/2235

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello,

True "New Member" here, so thank you for your time and patience with me. Hope to gain a lot of advice and perspective from this group!

I'm in the preliminary process of searching out a bespoke suit for me wedding late this year. I wear suits every day for work, however after few hours on this board I apparently have no idea how they should fit. Because I'm always traveling in my suits and in environments that most suits aren't subjected to, I tend to buy Macy's suits when they are sell. However my 'dream' suits are Hickey Freeman (I hope that's not a 4 letter word around here!) as I think and have been told by a few tailors I've been to that the 48R fits me pretty true. (again I'm questioning this perspective based on the threads I've seen).

Regardless for my wedding I want at least one great suit, and I don't know of any better occasion to go bespoke than your wedding. I live in NYC and have been researching asking friends about their suits. One had mentioned Leonard Logsdail, which after looking at his site looked very interesting. Then I did a Google search and the 2nd hit was your forum and the below thread. After reading this thread in it's entirety I'm now even more confused (and nervous) about what I'm getting into. Who can you really trust, who is a good tailor (specifically in NYC), ect.

Any help or preliminary guidance you all can help me with would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to keep it under $4,000 if possible. Thank you all so very much!

http://www.styleforum.net/t/359109/leonard-logsdail-suit-with-pictures

Welcome to the forum, PL. I wish I had as many options as you living in NYC! I'll give you two options to explore for starters: Satoria Formosa and Franco Ercoles.

Formosa visits No Man Walks Alone every couple months or so and you'll have to confirm with Greg (NMWA owner), but I believe pricing is right around your budget. Tons of information on Formosa here http://www.styleforum.net/t/358758/no-man-walks-alone-official-affiliate-thread. You can also just shoot Greg an email...he is very helpful and will give you all the info you need. You can even setup an appointment to try on one of Formosa'a handmade ready to wear (RTW) suits to see if you like to cut. I have plenty experience with the RTW, but haven't made it to NYC yet for a bespoke fitting.

I have no experience with Ercoles, but I am super impressed with everything I see. Here is his thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/213100/official-franco-ercoles-bespoke-thread-brooklyn-manhattan. The customers in that thread will definitely answer any questions you might have and offer advice.

Best of luck. Congrats on the wedding!

Richard Dial

Reaction score
Hi All:

This is my first post. I've been very keen on getting a pair of the Allen-Edmonds Mctavish in the crackled leather. I'd never pay full price for this casual shoe, so I was pleased to find a pair available on Nordstrom Rack.

However, they are a 9.5D, whereas in all my other AE shoes I'm a 9.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

raf owens

Reaction score
So, I need a suit for prom and that I will also sometimes wear casually. I'm going for that goth I inject heroin but I can dress look. And I'm wondering what are your opinions on a blazer like this.
Balmain-Homme-S-S-2012-Leather-Lapel-Blazer.jpg

I really like blazers with peaked lapels that are lined. What kind of tie would I wear with this blazer, would it look wierd buttoned up since it only has one button? What kind of pants should I wear with it? Would chelsea boots go well with it? Are there any similar suits that you would recommend me?

Last edited:

beachbum1985

Reaction score
I recently purchased suit separates by Theory from Century 21, was actually a pretty nice suit, and it looks like it matches exactly as it would a suit. Are there any other differences or disadvantages to buying suit separates VS a suit? I am attending a wedding soon and would like to wear this. Thanks

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi All:

This is my first post.  I've been very keen on getting a pair of the Allen-Edmonds Mctavish in the crackled leather.  I'd never pay full price for this casual shoe, so I was pleased to find a pair available on Nordstrom Rack.

However, they are a 9.5D, whereas in all my other AE shoes I'm a 9.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, Richard. Unless they are on a last that runs smaller, they will be a 1/2 size too big. I wouldn't buy something that doesn't fit just because it's on sale, but that's just me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads