• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF DEC 14, 2015

Suntory

Reaction score
@Murlsquirl

I need your intellect on this! Is this a spread or point collar?

dghealy

Reaction score
it was listed as charcoal. and the pictures were accurate. I thought they were just a little dark. I would have listed it as black. anyway it is Hickey Freeman from Barney's and very nice 80 wool 20 cashmere. BUT can my husband were it to Court and what color pants??

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it was listed as charcoal. and the pictures were accurate. I thought they were just a little dark. I would have listed it as black. anyway it is Hickey Freeman from Barney's and very nice 80 wool 20 cashmere. BUT can my husband were it to Court and what color pants??

Hi @dghealy , a charcoal or black sport coat is not something anyone on here would recommend. If you're stuck with it, the best thing he could wear it with is light/medium grey trousers. Cheers.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

colco

Reaction score
why is black or charcoal a no go?
black is very severe and does not compliment many skin tones. It is too fashion forward for most business'. It looks horrible in daylight.

Charcoal (as a sport coat) because it is notoriously challenging to match with anything else. Although a tweed herringbone jacket with charcoal grey or black in it is one of the most versatile things you can own (go figure).

Charcoal makes a fine suit.

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but , what about a glen plaid which is primarily grays?

The particular example you offer here exemplifies one of the potential problems, namely it looks more like an ‘orphaned’ suit coat than a sport coat. Not everyone is bothered by that, but many are.

Cheers,

Ac

colco

Reaction score
The particular example you offer here exemplifies one of the potential problems, namely it looks more like an ‘orphaned’ suit coat than a sport coat. Not everyone is bothered by that, but many are.

Cheers,

Ac
I really want a linen or linen blend grey glen plaid with patch pockets to wear with white pants in the summer.

mannsbuick

Reaction score
**URGENT REQUEST** LOL, Hey there.. i am kinda new to this...I'm hoping you can help me! I am looking for and would like to purchase **Ralph Lauren Purple Label**(RLPL) plaid cooper 100% cashmere workshirt (has suede application behind collar that says Ralph Lauren). Also would like to buy a **RLPL cream and black plaid 62% wool, 19%cashmere 19%angora shirt jacket**(this shirt jacket has a leather trim on end of cuffs)!! Can you PLEASE get the word out or post this in the correct forum. I am interested in any size new or pre-owned. These can be viewed on Lyst.com or google search..these shirt jackets are very thick and soft and are made in Italy. Thank You very much. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
Regards,
Sean

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads