• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My God, I hate the windsor knot

Montrachet

Reaction score
Here's a monarchist argument on tie knots: The Windsor knot belongs to the House of Windsor and is therefore royal, reigning over all other knots by divine right. Sure, we all prefer the four-in-hand, but that's because it's our place to do so.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clearly I agree with the OP, and put the Ian Flemming quote in my sig a while ago to demonstrate this. I first read From Russia with Love about 25 years ago in college and this quote has stuck with me ever sense. That I was brought up in the Northeast by generations of button-down-collar-four-in-hand-tying Yankees does not hurt either. (For what it's worth, I also find many pocket squares to be overly fussy, but that bit of SF blasphemy is another topic.)
Originally Posted by onix
I think Windsor knot has an advantage in the following situations: - The tie is long (with respect to the person's height), or - The tie is not substantial enough, or - Both
If this is an issue, tie a four-in-hand that is wrapped around twice. That works well for this situation, especially with thinner ties.
Originally Posted by luftvier
brook.bmp
4284305008_1197fdf755_o.jpg
The right photo is significantly better. My poor photoshopping skills aside, the smaller knot is simply more elegant looking compared to the clumsy windsor, which draws too much attention to itself.

I agree with luft. The right picture is much improved.
Originally Posted by BareSolid
God, this is called 'Style' Forum, please do not wear ties with button-down collar shirts.
I will forgive you because you appear to be British. In my parts there is often not other way for many generations of men. I agree that there is room for many types of knots, collars and squares, but I, like Bond, will stick with my prejudices.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montrachet
Here's a monarchist argument on tie knots: The Windsor knot belongs to the House of Windsor and is therefore royal, reigning over all other knots by divine right. Sure, we all prefer the four-in-hand, but that's because it's our place to do so.

There is a Monarchy in Chicago?

In the Duke of Windsors pics I've found on google he appears to wear both.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the four in hand because it is simple. I have seen some small men need to use a windsor know to account fro the extra fabric length in their ties.

Montrachet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
There is a Monarchy in Chicago?

You're obviously unfamiliar with Mayor Daley.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

worship.gif

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Martin Luther King Day is NOT a day to express hatred. Can't we all just get along?

For me, the bottom like is this: Wear the knot that makes YOU look good in relation to your shirt collar, suit and neck size/ face shape. No one knot is going to be right for everyone, every outfit and every occasion.

PS Men who wear any type of Windsor with a button-down collar should be shot.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Martin Luther King Day is NOT a day to express hatred. Can't we all just get along? . . .
PS Men who wear any type of Windsor with a button-down collar should be shot.

eh.gif

How about:

Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Men who wear any type of Windsor with a button-down collar should be Foofed.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they look great with a spread or cut away collar but I do hate when someone tries to wear one with a normall collar that just dosen't look right to me.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
You telling me this doesn't look nice?

G9QXv.jpg

To my eye, it would look better as a four in hand, but to each his own.

Doc4

Reaction score
I saw this thread title this morning, so made sure I used a windsor knot.

Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Clearly I agree with the OP, and put the Ian Flemming quote in my sig a while ago to demonstrate this. I first read From Russia with Love about 25 years ago in college and this quote has stuck with me ever sense. ...

You take advice from a guy who drinks vodka martinis?
facepalm.gif

Ziss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
hate is a strong word for a method of tying a strip of silk that goes around your neck

That made me laugh uncontrollably for some reason. Thank you.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads