• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most versatile clothes

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milanb
Hi,

What are the most versatile pieces of clothing that a college student can get? Listing brands is bonus points. I don't care about being original or anything, just looking cool.

Thanks

Senior Undergraduate here.

N&F Jeans, if not get some Levi's 511. Many colors, many weights, find that cut that fits you. You can move on to the more refined stuff, but I have and still come back to these basics for normal wear
Get some T's go past the crew necks get some U, V, Wide necks
Get some nice sneakers, I prefer MMM as posted above, can be had cheap, just look around
RRL Shorts or whatever shorts you prefer just make sure they don't "bell" out, I see this everyday

That is my Uni wear

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
I'm in a good mood, so I'll help you (and then probably just repost this the next time someone comes knockin'). In the future, use the search function and the stickied threads. Do this instead of replying to any of these posts. i'm going to assume that the real goal here is to look good for the ladies, so... College wear for fun and profit: Your **** is going to get messy. Beer is going to get spilled all over everything you own. More than likely, you will sleep in the mud/bushes while wearing most of this stuff. Girls will rub themselves on your pants, which is great, but unhygienic. First, get rid of your graphic tees. If you want to wear t shirts, and who doesn't, just get some blanks from hanes/american apparel that fit well in the shoulders. Next, buy a pair of jeans. Everyone here will tell you to buy raws, and they are right. Don't ask what kind. You're getting away with this much, so you can do some forum research next. I will tell you that if you wait, jeans are cheap. Buy jeans that fit you. Buy a pair of boots that are not desert boots. desert boots are boring and girls don't give a **** that they're based on imperialist ******-wear. Buy something with a slight heel. Do some research/read up on what you like. Do not wear adidas all-stars with gelly stripes. Do not wear cargo shorts. Do not wear cargo shorts with your adidas all-stars. Chucks are whatever, but be warned that they will not get you any female attention. do not ******* EVER wear your running shoes unless you're working out, I don't care what you think you know. Buy slim button downs on the cheap. take j crew button downs to the tailor, whatever. not everything has to be skin tight, but if you want to look like you take care of yourself, a good start is to buy clothes that fit you. don't save up and buy **** that you'll regret buying. take advantage of fast fashion. Look at WAYWT. Most people are not spending a lot of money on anything. Emulate them. finally, clothes are not going to make you look better/more classy/ more cultured. If you are a slob, cookie-cutter clothing is not going to fix anything. If you are interested in looking like a mature human, or even an immature but stylish one, don't go throwing your money around. Especially not during college. spend that **** on drugs and alcohol and parties. and some boots. mostly, go do some ******* research
now can we lock this special flower thread?

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Hi, What are the most versatile pieces of clothing that a college student can get? Listing brands is bonus points. I don't care about being original or anything, just looking cool. Thanks
Looking cool on this forum means being original, unless you want to look like Jersey Shore or whatever the **** kids think is "cool" these days, in which case you're on the wrong forum. Like Synthese said, do some research and decide what you do and don't like instead of being a lemming. Looking "cool" tends to cost a lot (as things go in and out of style) while looking original actually looks better as long as you are within reasonable spitting distance of a few basic guidelines (e.g. slim-fitting raw jeans worn at your hips, not garbage-bag sized mall Levi's worn at your knees) and doesn't cost as much in the long run as long as you're careful about your choices and spend your money wisely. Besides, if you have "money to burn" then L2saveandinvest.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
you fool, I was asking whatever123 if he was trolling.
well mikey i disagree. i dont think you can safely assume he wouldnt like a sneaker design 6 months down the road. check out the shoes i rec'd you idiot ... they are very classic in style and will work with just about anything. also, no matter what ... YOU ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS spend money on shoes ... no matter what. good shoes are a necessity.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
yeah but this guy clearly has no idea what he likes and what aesthetic direction he wants to go in. it would be pretty foolish for him to get some RO dunks and then end up liking w+h.
so he shouldnt buy anything worth-while because he is teasing out his style? thats bs and your a moron.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj
NYC...this is going to sound hard...but DONT spend your money all at once, your taste WILL ABSOLUTELY 100% CHANGE as time goes on. Your going to grow into your style and honestly your probably going to regret alot of your purchases early on. Just spend your $$ on food, and save your cash for later.

I agree with this. Just buy some crap from H & M. When that wears out in a couple of years you will be ready to start buying stuff you will keep for years.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually if you're really looking for an aesthetic rather than just wanting to look good, cheap **** is a godsend. I'm not investing in baller sneakers or nice casual oxfords, for example, because i don't like sneakers and oxfords nearly as much as I do boots. For each of the three, i wore chucks, clarks, and a pair of thrifted oxfords and realized that I went with the clarks more often than not. Same with denim cuts. Do you go to your 501's, your 514's or your 511's most often? Do i more often go with a flannel, ocbd or a plane white tee for casual wear? e.g. I kept wearing a faux leather jacket i got from uniqlo and so i saved my pennies and bought a ToJ.

Basically, you need to figure out what you feel most comfortable in/what looks best on you. Decide that, and that's what you invest in. But until then, cheap **** (mall brands on sale, Lands End, H&M, Uniqlo etc) can help you figure it out.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in NYC, don't drink or do drugs, and need a hobby. The people of NYC I think are a bit more fashion forward than I am and I think the students are too. So those boots are on the list, already have the tees and I have some uniqlo jeans that I think are good. But I hunger for more clothing
visit atelier and Rick owens NYC and buy everything, bitches wearing all black will want to ride your disco stick
lol8[1].gif
honestly, though...I dunno wtf you expect from this thread. Its up to you to figure out what you want from yourself. Look to your current interests and see where that takes you.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lane, i'm actually curious: how have women reacted to your aesthetic?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
visit atelier and Rick owens NYC and buy everything, bitches wearing all black will want to ride your disco stick
lol8[1].gif

despite the sarcasm there is some logic in this. he should be visiting shops to find out what he likes. once he finds something he likes he needs to make nice with the people at the store ... bribe, lie, blow or do whatever it is you need to do to get on the list. once your there you will save a shitload of money. few things are better then getting that call informing you that jacket you have been pining over for the last year is now marked down 60% and we have your size!

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Investments in footwear and outerwear go the longest for the money you spend on them. If I could take back the probably $2000 I spent in college buying crap that didn't last/I don't wear anymore, the first things I would get are a good, versatile pair of boots and a nice leather jacket. Then I'd have more than enough left over to get enough cycles of cheap basics to last.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
so he shouldnt buy anything worth-while because he is teasing out his style? thats bs and your a moron.
No he should buy some cheap basics now so that he doesn't look like a fool, then figure what he likes by browsing waywt, runway shows, etc. Then invest in more directed stuff. At least, that's what I'm I'm the process of doing. You clearly have a different opinion, so let's just agree to disagree. Just wearing an aa t shirt, apc denim, and authentics or cons will make you look better than 90% of the dbags at uni.

ramp

Reaction score
This discussion isn't going anywhere. Just buy the stuff in my FS thread, add pants, and you will be set.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads