1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Momotaro

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jbreen1, Aug 7, 2009.

1. seeldoger47

seeldoger47 Well-Known Member

So to answer your question no, there is no significant difference to the average person. However some people here would say there is a huge difference.

2. JonSmythe

JonSmythe Well-Known Member

I'm curious with which outfits you would consider them "off"?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  3. TooAwesome

TooAwesome Well-Known Member

i was unaware that PBJ and JB were the same company....

4. Rightyow77

Rightyow77 Well-Known Member

Yeah how accurate is that?

And the bit about outfits being "off", have no idea what thats supposed to mean. I mean if you have style it doesn't really matter and Momo's are next level shit so yeah they are not for everyone, but neither is half the stuff discussed on these type of forums.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  5. schmallo15

schmallo15 Well-Known Member

That's because they are not the same company.

1 person likes this.
  6. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. Japan Blue and Pure Blue Japan are not the same denim producer.

Japan Blue is a subsidiary (to my understanding) of the larger company that owns Momotaro - hence the similar cuts that can be exploited and similar branding. They make a really decent product for the money and would highly recommend them for a starter pair. At $200 it's a lot of bang for your buck.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  7. mrphrog

mrphrog Well-Known Member

I'm torn between PBJ007 and 0702. The one difference I spotted from reading the posts is that the PBJ denim stretches a ton while momo doesn't stretch much. Can anyone comment on the fit? They look similar in measurements except PBJ007 seems to have a lower rise than 0702. Thanks!

8. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

Go with the 702 and join our 702 fade club :cool:

9. jimney

jimney Well-Known Member

Are there any newb-noticeable deficiencies compared to Momotaro?

10. juhan

juhan Well-Known Member

@ mrphrog,

the 0702 runs pretty true to size. if one is slim enough, he can definitely size one down. and the denim is more tightly woven compared to the pbj's 007.
    if i don't already have n&f elephant, my next pair will surely be the 0702.

@ jimney,

the difference are things like maybe the weight, indigo colour(intensity etc), leather patch, and some japan blue denim has blue inseam.

11. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Having owned both the xx007 (and xx009) as well as their Momotaro counterparts 701 & 702 I hope I can share a bit of insight. While loving my PBJs to death, I feel that you're purchasing a more "solid" product with Momotaro. I've never had any QC issues w/ PBJ in the least, Momotaro just feels bullletproof in comparison. The denim is woven more tightly on the Momotaros, resulting in less stretching over time. The indigo is also a different beast - despite the two jeans in question being indigo/indigo styles. The waist on PBJs does stretch quite a bit, usually enabling one to size down for a slimmer fit (assuming your thighs will allow it). If you go with the PBJs (a FANTASTIC choice) then don't bother with the raws and just purchase the o/w version. It's not worth the headache of getting a perfect fit upon purchase, and then reaching the first wash and fearing for your life whether they'll fit afterwards - had to move on my pair of xx007s for just that reason. PBJ denim is also far more slubby than Momotaro offerings.

Momotaro denims seem more polished, and more solid (as mentioned above). PBJs will fade faster in general. Here is an evo pick of a PBJ indigo/indigo jean so you can see a bit of progress.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

702s don't have any real fade pics as of yet b/c they only hit as of a few months ago.

Either way you're getting a quality product that you will love. Just diff'rent strokes...

Being $100 less, they're not built like a tank (compared to Momotaro). They'll share a lot of branding and fit, but the indigo used, hardware, weight of the denim etc won't be the same. If you're looking to jump into the brand though I couldn't recommend it more highly.

12. blahiya

blahiya Active Member

Anybody selling a pair of 702s in 30? Might get into the whole contest thing :p

13. Mistral

Mistral Well-Known Member

http://www.blueowl.us

14. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

:slayer:

Did you check the b/s thread already?

If you buy online, blueowl.us

15. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Well-Known Member

aside from the cut/measurement being comparatively similar__ the feel of the wear, in progression [as you break them in] is quite different experiences. IMO, 007 & 702 only look similar @the starting line, but once you get the journey on the road, they take off to 2 un-similar evo route .... each developing quite different character & appeal.

if you have to pick 1, then it all boils down to personal preference.
    i got both, but even i can't honestly pick which is better ... it's like comparing apples & oranges.

16. Kidkid

Kidkid Member

I have a size 30 0702 and tried on a few times only. But I usually sell my stuff in Singapore. If u r really interested, I dun mind to check out the shipping fees to ship to u. Anything drop me a pm. Thks.

17. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

Really like Japan Blue. Used to have APCs and N&F, neither really compares, especially @ $200.

The material is very similar to Momotaro, if not 99% the same. Construction in Japan is what you expect. If the fit is right for you, can't miss with Japan Blue.

Also, what I like about it over Momotaro is that the inseam thread is this light blue and not pink.

18. Dapp

Dapp Well-Known Member

All the latest posts have been super helpful. I'm going to hit Need Supply next week and try on the Japan Blue and APC's and see which fit best.

19. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

Have you considered Naked and Famous?

IMO, NF > APC

20. Mistral

Mistral Well-Known Member

Pink inseam and selvage listing is obviously the reason to buy a pair of Momotaro's.

By the way, I don't agree with you stating that the material is 99% the same.