• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
I contacted MT a few weeks ago about getting some more non-iron selections and they have added a ton of selection to the website.
I also asked if I could get thick MOP buttons without the logo and they said at this time no, but they are checking on sourcing buttons without the logo.

coltboy75

Reaction score
Anyone been able to make conmtact with Moderntailor recently? I sent an e-mail over a week ago, no reply. I have tried calling with no success and their online chat has not been available for over a week.

click here

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
Anyone been able to make conmtact with Moderntailor recently?

I actually emailed them and requested a fabric that I wanted to be put up in their weekly sales. And they did do it. Awesome customer service.

tcnjbanker123

Reaction score
Just ordered my first mt shirt... blue and orange stripes cuttaway collar (which looks more like a spread) I cant wait to get it I used the measurements off a shirt which I got otr and fits perfectly

viator

Reaction score
For those of you who have gotten the fit right and ordered the more expensive fabrics, are the higher end fabrics a good value? I noticed some of them (Alumo) approach $200.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
For those of you who have gotten the fit right and ordered the more expensive fabrics, are the higher end fabrics a good value? I noticed some of them (Alumo) approach $200.

Not when you can get the same fabric for the same price from nearly every other MTM shirt maker. And for less at some places. Nialma & mytailor come to mind. They sell TM silverline. Not sure what propercloth sells, but they've got 140s two ply fabrics for the same price. Esp. considering there is a $10 shipping charge per shirt. But if you want the free tie, then you can "win."

Basically, anything not on the weekly sale list can be had for the same price or cheaper elsewhere. Thats my conclusion anyway.

steriletom

Reaction score
I decided to take advantage of the $20 off for Styleforum members coupon which Moderntailor offered in March and placed an order for a plain white dress shirt, slim fitted with French cuffs. I understood that the first shirt would be a test shirt and had as my goal for this shirt to come out with something that was still wearable in public. Overall, I think I achieved my goal. However, I find it more difficult to visually assess the fit of a shirt than I would a suit's fit, so some help with what measurements to change in the future would be greatly appreciated. I'd ask you to excuse the unkempt appearance-I'm in need of a hair cut and have not shaved in 12 days-but since I've been showing up to work looking like this, you can just assume that I'm not in caring mode right now Changes I intend to make on future orders: 1. The neck is very off. Oddly enough, this is mainly as a result of Moderntailor's measurement guide suggesting that I stick two fingers in between the measuring tape and my neck. The neck is too loose by exactly two finger lengths and I will be adjusting this in the future. 2. The chest appears fine(barely) in my natural stance, but when the ladies are around and I straighten out my shoulders, there is the slightest pulling right around my nipple height. I will be adding 1 centimetre to future measurements to allow for this. 3. The length of the sleeve, from my understanding of where it should end, appears to be too long by 1-2 centimetres. I would greatly appreciate any comments on my adjustments, as well as additional insight on aspects of the shirt's fit which I am overlooking. I have not yet washed the shirt, but based on Moderntailor's claim of a maximum of 3% shrinkage, I am not overly concerned.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to wash it. The 3% shrinkage means 1.5-2 cm difference in the length of the sleeve and shoulders (which also look too big right now). Wash, press, and post new pictures.

MY guess is the sleeves, neck, and shoulder would fit great, but the chest may become a bit tight.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
You need to wash it. The 3% shrinkage means 1.5-2 cm difference in the length of the sleeve and shoulders (which also look too big right now). Wash, press, and post new pictures. MY guess is the sleeves, neck, and shoulder would fit great, but the chest may become a bit tight.
Yup. Shrinkage may solve the slightly baggy arms, long sleeves, and loose neck. Heck, you can just stick it in the dryer after you dampen it if you want. Twice if you want to be sure.

tzedekh

Reaction score
For anyone who has received a shirt from Modern Tailor, I have some questions regarding the construction of their shirts:
  1. Do they use single-needle stitching on all seams?
  2. Are the yokes top-stitched -- that is, stitched on the top side of the yoke about a millimeter from the seam?
  3. Are the side seams flat-felled, or are they overlock stitched?
  4. Are the armhole (arm scye) seams flat-felled, or are they overlock stitched?
  5. Are collars and cuffs fused, and if so, are there grades of fusing material weight (such as soft, light, medium, and heavy)? Can shirts be ordered without fusing?
  6. Are collars and cuffs by default stitched 1/4 inch from the edge (which is traditional) rather than edge-stitched?
  7. Can you specify collar length (e.g., 3.5 inches), back height, point spread (distance between collar points), and tie gap? If so, how would you do that?
  8. How many stitches per inch are used on seams?
  9. Do sleeve gauntlets (plackets) have buttons by default?
  10. How many buttons do they use on their shirt fronts? Seven?
  11. How are placketless shirt fronts done? Is the raw edge turned under and folded, and then the shirt front stitched about a quarter of an inch from the edge to seal the raw edge?
Thanks for your help.

coltboy75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tzedekh
For anyone who has received a shirt from Modern Tailor, I have some questions regarding the construction of their shirts:

1. Do they use single-needle stitching on all seams?

2. Are the yokes top-stitched -- that is, stitched on the top side of the yoke about a millimeter from the seam?

3. Are the side seams flat-felled, or are they overlock stitched?

4. Are the armhole (arm scye) seams flat-felled, or are they overlock stitched?

5. Are collars and cuffs fused, and if so, are there grades of fusing material weight (such as soft, light, medium, and heavy)? Can shirts be ordered without fusing?

6. Are collars and cuffs by default stitched 1/4 inch from the edge (which is traditional) rather than edge-stitched?

7. Can you specify collar length (e.g., 3.5 inches), back height, point spread (distance between collar points), and tie gap? If so, how would you do that?

8. How many stitches per inch are used on seams?

9. Do sleeve gauntlets (plackets) have buttons by default?

10. How many buttons do they use on their shirt fronts? Seven?

11. How are placketless shirt fronts done? Is the raw edge turned under and folded, and then the shirt front stitched about a quarter of an inch from the edge to seal the raw edge?
Thanks for your help.

Most of your questions can be answered by spending some time on their website.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tzedekh
For anyone who has received a shirt from Modern Tailor, I have some questions regarding the construction of their shirts: [...] Thanks for your help.
Before I pull out my shirts and go all geeky over the seams (and look for things I don't quite understand), why don't you contact MT's customer service and send them these questions? I figure some of your questions ("can they do this and that") could possibly only be answered by customer support. In my experience, they try to be very accomodating, in terms of answering questions as well as trying to fulfill special requests. However, this is not meant to endorse the quality of the production process itself... no comment.

tzedekh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Before I pull out my shirts and go all geeky over the seams (and look for things I don't quite understand), why don't you contact MT's customer service and send them these questions?
I did, and they basically said, "We can do anything you want." That response is meaningless, judging from some of the comments posted in this thread, which seem to indicate that requests are sometimes either not honored or else the interpretation is other than intended. I am interested in answers to my questions in terms of the default construction of shirts people have received, not some special request that may be honored this time but ignored the next.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member