• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

mixedmajik

Reaction score
So far my experience has been good - although customer service can be slow to respond to questions (one question never received a response). For daily wear I want a non-iron fabric and I've found one on their site I like very much - and it comes in several staple colors - so I'm sticking with them for now.

Surprising you say that because they always responded to me (back and forth over maybe 20 e-mails), within an hour to two hours tops.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Surprising you say that because they always responded to me (back and forth over maybe 20 e-mails), within an hour to two hours tops.

My experience has only gotten worse since then. After placing my most recent order, I emailed customer service within minutes to inform them that I wanted to make a chance to the half-bicep measurement. I wanted to change it to 7.75 inches. They replied and said they would inform the tailor. A second email from them said that they had checked with the tailor and he had indeed made my cuffs 7.75" as requested. I responded and informed them that I said half-bicep, not cuffs (coincidentally, my cuffs were also 7.75 inches, so they got them confused). So basically they misread my email. After the shirt shipped out, I received an email saying they were unable to accommodate my half-bicep change. I responded and pointed out that they had misread my email, and gave the tailor the wrong information. They advised him to alter the cuffs, not half-bicep. All of a sudden their story changed and, according to them, the reason they couldn't accommodate the change was because the shirt was already in production by the time I had requested the change (I emailed them 13 minutes after placing my order). I have no idea what the real story is, but I find it odd that their story suddenly changed when they realized they had made a mistake. I've been pretty understanding and patient, but it looks like they're basically refusing to do anything about it. It's unfortunate because I've been extremely impressed with the shirts I've received so far, but I doubt I'll place another order in the future.

mixedmajik

Reaction score
My experience has only gotten worse since then. After placing my most recent order, I emailed customer service within minutes to inform them that I wanted to make a chance to the half-bicep measurement. I wanted to change it to 7.75 inches. They replied and said they would inform the tailor. A second email from them said that they had checked with the tailor and he had indeed made my cuffs 7.75" as requested. I responded and informed them that I said half-bicep, not cuffs (coincidentally, my cuffs were also 7.75 inches, so they got them confused). So basically they misread my email. After the shirt shipped out, I received an email saying they were unable to accommodate my half-bicep change. I responded and pointed out that they had misread my email, and gave the tailor the wrong information. They advised him to alter the cuffs, not half-bicep. All of a sudden their story changed and, according to them, the reason they couldn't accommodate the change was because the shirt was already in production by the time I had requested the change (I emailed them 13 minutes after placing my order). I have no idea what the real story is, but I find it odd that their story suddenly changed when they realized they had made a mistake. I've been pretty understanding and patient, but it looks like they're basically refusing to do anything about it. It's unfortunate because I've been extremely impressed with the shirts I've received so far, but I doubt I'll place another order in the future.

Very strange how different our customer services experiences were. Honestly in an ideal world the best thing to do would be to get one shirt from them, take it to a tailor to correct any of things they did not get right, and then ship that shirt to Modern Tailor when ordering shirts in bulk so that they can replicate that perfect fitting shirt to a tee (hence why ordering in bulk would make more sense if you do this so you can get many perfect fitting shirts). If you ask, MT can also upload the measurements for those perfect fitting shirts to your online profile for you. Might actually be worth the shipping charge to try that. I have not yet but I was thinking of doing this in the near future now that I have gotten a shirt from them and then tailored it locally to be the most immaculate fitting shirt I own.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I placed an order for 5 more shirts, and they agreed to give me a $15 credit for the mistake on the previous shirt, and a set of free MOP buttons since the shirt arrive with a broken button. I was satisfied with this. I'm a huge fan of their collar offerings, and the fabric (I've used the same fabric for all shirts thus far). My only gripe is that they advertise this fabric as non-iron, and it's certainly not a non-iron fabric. Light Blue Pinpoint No.: R67181-04

Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BCell

Reaction score
I just received an order from MoDERN TAILOR and I was unpleasantly surprised! The shirt was way too big and a lot of excess fabric was hanging all around my torseau and sleeves. I complained immediately and emailed photos, with a reminder that I have provided accurate body measurements and requested a slim fit. Their reply was that they"followed the standards and can not call it a defect". Readjusting the shirt extensively at my local tailor cost 30$, on top of the $100 bill from MT. It was a bad investment. I could've had a much better ready-made shirt at half the cost.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't send body measurements. Send shirt measurements.

BCell

Reaction score
The point of tailoring is to get a shirt specific to my body. Not to another shirt I bought.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The point of tailoring is to get a shirt specific to my body. Not to another shirt I bought.

The way to get there using an online MTM service is by measuring your best fitting shirt and making modifications as needed. Measuring your body rarely results in a satisfactory product.

BCell

Reaction score
Or, I can save my self all the trouble and go to the mall. Plenty of fancy shirts there; and what you see is what you get, and they are flexible about exchange and refund. Nuf said.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads