• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whenever I hear Liquidator i think of Chelsea when i was a teenager standing in the Shed, Its still played on match days...I sit there looking across at the Shed as its now and think...I was there.

Roy, I can't remember whether I asked you this before, but were you there in the Shed when Man Utd were visitors, on the occasion of Bobby Charlton's last away match? Well I was there too, in the Shed with the Chelsea fans - it was a game I just couldn't miss. I can remember that when the teams were warming up before the game began, the whole population of the Shed set up a long chant for Bobby Charlton. They were good sports!

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Roy, I can't remember whether I asked you this before, but were you there in the Shed when Man Utd were visitors, on the occasion of Bobby Charlton's last away match? Well I was there too, in the Shed with the Chelsea fans - it was a game I just couldn't miss. I can remember that when the teams were warming up before the game began, the whole population of the Shed set up a long chant for Bobby Charlton. They were good sports!

Not sure if i was Paul..Bobby Charlton being a England World Cup winner was revered by all. I do remember George Best one game in the mud....skipping through the Chelsea defence.....socks down his ankles no shin pads ...Legend.

elwood

Reaction score

flyfronted

Reaction score
Not sure if i was Paul..Bobby Charlton being a England World Cup winner was revered by all. I do remember George Best one game in the mud....skipping through the Chelsea defence.....socks down his ankles no shin pads ...Legend.

10 min 41 sec .. this was my second ever game at the Bridge.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Absolutely! There's a clip of him on YouTube, playing for the San Jose Earthquakes, dribbling past five defenders to score.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was the game. There were about five of my mates (Crystal Palace fans, as far as I remember) with me in the Shed, in amongst the Chelsea lads. The Shed guys didn't mind, because we were there for a historic occasion.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

4:00 I am sure I remember Osgood's kneeling gesture. Was that at the Shed end?

A poignant moment when Charlton walked off.

Apart from the adverts for Levis round the ground, I noticed that no one put his hand up to claim a throw-in that wasn't his, and no one greeted a referee's decision with "Aw fcuking hell, ref!"

Good grief, Micky Droy was a big bloke!

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

4:00 I am sure I remember Osgood's kneeling gesture. Was that at the Shed end?

A poignant moment when Charlton walked off.

Apart from the adverts for Levis round the ground, I noticed that no one put his hand up to claim a throw-in that wasn't his, and no one greeted a referee's decision with "Aw fcuking hell, ref!"

Good grief, Micky Droy was a big bloke!
Bygone days when one of our - United's - chants was the extremely profound classic: 'Osgood - no good.' Osgood - no good!'

:embar: :nodding:

Pressure_Drop

Reaction score
Some of you might be interested in my mate Phil Peacock's recollection of getting his head shaved for the first time (taken from Booted & Suited http://www.amazon.co.uk/Booted-Suited-Chris-Brown/dp/1844547469)

Phil, if not remembering who or where he saw the first skinheads, recalled the momentous day when he decided to have all his hair shaved off, which wasn’t as common as you might think in the late Sixties...

‘As for the first [skinhead] in Bristol – I remember the mods with their stylish hair and the primping. I think the scooter riders were some of the first to start chopping the hair ever shorter as it wouldn’t get in their eyes while riding, since helmets were not required. They were carried more as a weapon than to protect your noggin. That would have to be in 1967, early ’68.
‘I got my head shaved for the first time in Lewis’s department store in 1968. I remember there was a young kid probably getting his first haircut and he was throwing a fit. The barber called me up to the chair, I sat down and he asked what I wanted. I said, “Shave it off.” He did a double-take and asked again. I replied, “Shave it off,” and he then took the clippers and went right down the middle saying, “You can’t change your mind now.” Meanwhile, the little kid’s eyes were as big as saucers and he stopped screaming. His dad took him by the hand and they left the shop. Mind you, when I got home my mum had a fit! I believe I was the first in Sea Mills to do that voluntarily, other than the kids who had their hair cut every Saturday morning by their fathers who only knew one way to cut hair!’

In mid '68, having seen the older lads get one, I trotted off to the barbers for a semi-crop.

Stuck with a 'semi'(!!!) for months into spring(ish) 1969 and - I've mentioned this on here before, so apologies for repeating it - went to a different barber's for a tighter crop - with a razor parting, which he bolloxed up... I said: "shave the lot".

He couldn't believe it and even got the people from adjacent shops to come an witness it - it was severe!!!

At school, in assembly, the head, looking round as he always did, spotted this wee, bald head near the back - and went radio rental.

Found out my name and shouted: 'Get out, Vaughan, you look like an animal.'

Parents had to go up - it was a good school - and I had a great week or so off, in the early sunshine to hang around the local convent school.

Happy days.

(FTR: my old man always thought, back in those halcyon days, I/we looked 'clean and tidy' - but he was ex-forces.)

yankmod

Reaction score
Some of you might be interested in my mate Phil Peacock's recollection of getting his head shaved for the first time (taken from Booted & Suited http://www.amazon.co.uk/Booted-Suited-Chris-Brown/dp/1844547469)

Phil, if not remembering who or where he saw the first skinheads, recalled the momentous day when he decided to have all his hair shaved off, which wasn’t as common as you might think in the late Sixties...

‘As for the first [skinhead] in Bristol – I remember the mods with their stylish hair and the primping. I think the scooter riders were some of the first to start chopping the hair ever shorter as it wouldn’t get in their eyes while riding, since helmets were not required. They were carried more as a weapon than to protect your noggin. That would have to be in 1967, early ’68.
‘I got my head shaved for the first time in Lewis’s department store in 1968. I remember there was a young kid probably getting his first haircut and he was throwing a fit. The barber called me up to the chair, I sat down and he asked what I wanted. I said, “Shave it off.” He did a double-take and asked again. I replied, “Shave it off,” and he then took the clippers and went right down the middle saying, “You can’t change your mind now.” Meanwhile, the little kid’s eyes were as big as saucers and he stopped screaming. His dad took him by the hand and they left the shop. Mind you, when I got home my mum had a fit! I believe I was the first in Sea Mills to do that voluntarily, other than the kids who had their hair cut every Saturday morning by their fathers who only knew one way to cut hair!’
Love this.Anyone else have a story about getting cropped?My first crop I walked into the barber with hair to ******.He was very excited and happy(he was an old guy.Pre hippie barber.)It's still a great feeling shaving the head(I gots my own clippers No.0 no guard)

roytonboy

Reaction score
Here's a little poser for everyone -

What did you spend your first weeks wages on?

In the summer of 1971 I started work in a Marine engineers. I was paid £10 per week. With National Insurance taken out I was left with about £9.50, which I was allowed to keep as it was my first wage packet.

That Saturday I went to Disclands in Oldham and bought Tamla Motown Chartbusters Volumes 1 and 3. (We already had Volumes 2 and 4) They cost £2.25 each so that was almost half my wages on two L.Ps!

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's a little poser for everyone -

What did you spend your first weeks wages on?

In the summer of 1971 I started work in a Marine engineers. I was paid £10 per week. With National Insurance taken out I was left with about £9.50, which I was allowed to keep as it was my first wage packet.

That Saturday I went to Disclands in Oldham and bought Tamla Motown Chartbusters Volumes 1 and 3. (We already had Volumes 2 and 4) They cost £2.25 each so that was almost half my wages on two L.Ps!

My first week`s wages was £5, in the hand, in `65.I paid my Mum £2,went to the Record Shop and got the Junior Walker Single-"I`m A Roadrunner" for 6/8p,that left me just over £2 for Clothes and going out.Right from the start I had discount on Clothes,because of working in a Gentlemans`Outfitters.I have written previously about my time there.:)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention,you could earn a bit more with Commission-but this was my first(second Week`s) Wages.You waited a week before getting paid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads