• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

yankmod

Reaction score
When you think of it only a couple of years earlier these lads would have been hard looking Skinheads, look at them now,
biggrin.gif

Where did it all go wrong,
biggrin.gif
Most people are just dumb sheep who follow the trends.The 70's was awful(style wise)Thank god for Punk rock and the destruction(albeit short lived)of the idea that fashion and style is what you get at the Mall.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I blame Adam Faith and his 'Budgie' persona. :satisfied:

We thought we looked smart,in the beginning, with Longer Hair,wearing Patterned Shirts-with Mohair Trousers(Smooths) but then it lost its way,and ended up looking nearer Hippies` style.Thankfully other Styles came later to smarten up. :)

Yankmod,Punk was contrived(ok,in the very beginning you had Teenagers setting the Pace)with Vivian Westwood etc.,jumping on the Bandwagon.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

Yep agree, It was Marc Bolan, Rod Stewart, Budgie, I remember my then Girlfriend brought around Ride A White Swan T Rex, that was the beginning of the end of Skinheads.
I did love that programme though, Roy.

Budgie was what many of us thought you cokernee :satisfied: boys were... duckers and divers - with a cheeky attitude. (Obviously never met Millwall!!!) :happy:

It's still available on the web - think youtube has some - if not, when I'm on my other machine I'll post the link.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

We thought we looked smart,in the beginning, with Longer Hair,wearing Patterned Shirts-with Mohair Trousers(Smooths) but then it lost its way,and ended up looking nearer Hippies` style.Thankfully other Styles came later to smarten up. :)
Yankmod,Punk was contrived(ok,in the very beginning you had Teenagers setting the Pace)with Vivian Westwood etc.,jumping on the Bandwagon.
Coco the bleedin' clown had/has more fashion sense and style. IMHO, of course. :satisfied:

yankmod

Reaction score
We thought we looked smart,in the beginning, with Longer Hair,wearing Patterned Shirts-with Mohair Trousers(Smooths) but then it lost its way,and ended up looking nearer Hippies` style.Thankfully other Styles came later to smarten up.
smile.gif

I was 10 in 76 when I discovered the NYC CBGB's scene(played there many times in the 80's a shithole)and 11 when I discovered the Brit punk scene.I realize you Originals don't give a **** about punk but,the point I was making was it was(at the start)An individual style,thrift store style.Folks wore what they wanted cause they had no money.By 81 Indie rock began(hipsters the media calls us now)And all the Oi punks etc.were way passe.In those early days Hipsters also wore what they wanted.There were 50's 60's and by 87 or so 70's styles being apropriated.30 years after it started Indie rock and Hipster styles are just a cliche.Most of it is retro 80's rehash.But it came from the DIY ethic of Punk and Punk came from everything before it including skinhead.I realize Punk was in antithesis of your Smart Style(you guys wouldn't wear old clothes with holes in them)But I don't want to be told what my style should be,not by the fashion mags,the Gap,the Mall stores,Urban Outfitters or anyone for that matter.I'm interested in culture of all kinds(my mom was English/Swedish American and my dad is from Cuba,escaped Oct.21 1962 for those of you who know your history,a very impotant date)I am partial to subcultures that revolve around music and art,the clothes are not that important just interesting reflections of the asthetic,Being a musician(since i'm 8)The music associated with subcultures is of interest.Don't talk to me like I'm some kid who don't know nothin.I've humbled myself to yooz in the name of education,but that don't mean I don't know nothin.Give and take and flexibility is what creativity is about.I'm not a wanker,I've made records,toured the US and Canada several times and been in my fair share of Magazines(like the very first SPIN magazine Sept.85)and newspapers.I could get all pissy like a Know it all but thats unattractive.I grew up and went to school in the Bay State(Massachusetts)Moved to Brooklyn when I was 16.They have a name for people from Mass.Massholes and I'm one of the biggest(maybe the best) Take it or Leave it.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score

I was 10 in 76 when I discovered the NYC CBGB's scene(played there many times in the 80's a shithole)and 11 when I discovered the Brit punk scene.I realize you Originals don't give a **** about punk but,the point I was making was it was(at the start)An individual style,thrift store style.Folks wore what they wanted cause they had no money.By 81 Indie rock began(hipsters the media calls us now)And all the Oi punks etc.were way passe.In those early days Hipsters also wore what they wanted.There were 50's 60's and by 87 or so 70's styles being apropriated.30 years after it started Indie rock and Hipster styles are just a cliche.Most of it is retro 80's rehash.But it came from the DIY ethic of Punk and Punk came from everything before it including skinhead.I realize Punk was in antithesis of your Smart Style(you guys wouldn't wear old clothes with holes in them)But I don't want to be told what my style should be,not by the fashion mags,the Gap,the Mall stores,Urban Outfitters or anyone for that matter.I'm interested in culture of all kinds(my mom was English/Swedish American and my dad is from Cuba,escaped Oct.21 1962 for those of you who know your history,a very impotant date)I am partial to subcultures that revolve around music and art,the clothes are not that important just interesting reflections of the asthetic,Being a musician(since i'm 8)The music associated with subcultures is of interest.Don't talk to me like I'm some kid who don't know nothin.I've humbled myself to yooz in the name of education,but that don't mean I don't know nothin.Give and take and flexibility is what creativity is about.I'm not a wanker,I've made records,toured the US and Canada several times and been in my fair share of Magazines(like the very first SPIN magazine Sept.85)and newspapers.I could get all pissy like a Know it all but thats unattractive.I grew up and went to school in the Bay State(Massachusetts)Moved to Brooklyn when I was 16.They have a name for people from Mass.Massholes and I'm one of the biggest(maybe the best) Take it or Leave it.
I don't believe anyone is having a pop at you, YM, merely imparting information about a time some of us - by knocking against each other - may have forgotten ourselves.

As a new(ish) poster - albeit long time member - this 'place' allows me to, perhaps, exercise the old, grey matter and maybe even stave off the worst excesses of dementia. :satisfied:

Take it for what it is: just a forum of views and opinions that, like life, we won't all agree or even recognise everything everyone says, being from diverse times and places.

Written communication isn't everyone's bag; the more subtle nuances are often lost or misinterpreted, and I doubt anyone would say that your (usually pretty interesting, IMHO) posts are worth any less than someone who enjoyed the halcyon days of skinhead life in the late Sixties and early Seventies.

Who was it said - and I paraphrase: 'Britain and America - two nations divided by a common language?'

Last edited:

yankmod

Reaction score
I don't believe anyone is having a pop at you, YM, merely imparting information about a time some of us - by knocking against each other - may have forgotten ourselves.
As a new(ish) poster - albeit long time member - this 'place' allows me to, perhaps, exercise the old, grey matter and maybe even stave off the worst excesses of dementia.
satisfied.gif

Take it for what it is: just a forum of views and opinions that, like life, we won't all agree or even recognise, being from diverse times and places.
Written communication isn't everyone's bag; the more subtle nuances are often lost or misinterpreted, and I doubt anyone would say that your (usually pretty interesting, IMHO) posts are worth any less than someone who enjoyed the halcyon days of the late Sixties and early Seventies.
Who was it said - and I paraphrase: 'Britain and America - two nations divided by a common language?'
Ed you are a ******* Mensch(yiddish,a word you all should know) I am a hothead Ed this is for sure.When I go off subject it is to incite discourse.The skinhead subculture didn't and doesn't exist in a vacuum(even if that would be easier.)Alot of the cats on this thread my age came to skinhead thru Punk and 2 tone which I know you guys are not interested in(and thats justifiable)and I know you become frustrated with the same old questions from said Gen X-ers,but you should view it as flattering. I appreciate your mediation Ed, I am an acquired taste.some folks never get use to my abrasive personality.TA

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ed you are a ******* Mensch(yiddish,a word you all should know) I am a hothead Ed this is for sure.When I go off subject it is to incite discourse.The skinhead subculture didn't and doesn't exist in a vacuum(even if that would be easier.)Alot of the cats on this thread my age came to skinhead thru Punk and  2 tone which I know you guys are not interested in(and thats justifiable)and I know you become frustrated with the same old questions from said Gen X-ers,but you should view it as flattering. I appreciate your mediation Ed, I am an acquired taste.some folks never get use to my abrasive personality.TA

Be abrasive as you like yankmod,we can give it as well :)

Just stating what happened in the U.K.

yankmod

Reaction score
Be abrasive as you like yankmod,we can give it as well
smile.gif

Just stating what happened in the U.K.
Oh I know you F***ers can give it Brownie.Wouldn't want to meet you outside the pub late at night.I'm an instigator,I'm hopin my asides will jog the memory of the originals leading to more stories.Here is a question for Lasttye.You was in the Kilburn mob,is that the same crew wit Danny Eccles?

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Not sure where i got this, now.

1970-'71? - Coppers' helmets make me think 'Midlands'?

LON36819.jpg

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure where i got this, now.
1970-'71? - Coppers' helmets make me think 'Midlands'?
You could be right Ed.

LON36819.jpg
Oh I know you F***ers can give it Brownie.Wouldn't want to meet you outside the pub late at night.I'm an instigator,I'm hopin my asides will jog the memory of the originals leading to more stories.Here is a question for Lasttye.You was in the Kilburn mob,is that the same crew wit Danny Eccles?

Me,I am a *****-cat.:)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads