1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Well-Known Member

No it was not Jason`s,I like that and the other Graphics.There was something Posted,quite a few hundred Pages ago where it showed a Skinhead(with possibly a Sledgehammer) that reminded me of the way Media was thinking-we were Right Wing Thugs(or similar portrayal).It had "Walk Proud" over it.

2. browniecj

"Walking Proud" was a Reggae Tune that was released in `69-right at the height of the Skinhead Fashion.We all walked proud then,and I know many of us still walk that way now.There have been some good sub titles suggested-"Skin and Tonics-A Few Good Years Of British Style" is one,though I would spell Tonics like the Mohair "Tonik".:)

I think the Picture I am on about could be American(don`t know for sure)

3. browniecj

Jim Ferguson was way-out on some things and he totally missed out on others.

4. browniecj

God Buttons,were we that p*ss*d,that we laid on each other!!!!:D:D Good Photo though.

5. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Well-Known Member

Bexley shoes tend to be calf rather than polished leather like Loake Royals. Normally you pay more for calf because polished is often poorer leather that has been treated to hide imperfections. I have Bexleys - not the longwings - and I am pleased with them. The shop assistants tell you to get rubber soles put on so I think they might wear quickly but I put Woolworth stick-ons on mine and they have been fine.

6. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

A few things.I agree with browniecj."Walkin Proud" Skin & Toniks-A Few Good Years Of British Style.Nice one Gsvs5.Like the idea of the Scooter rear view mirror effect as well.M.O.M. What happened to using the photo of the skin in front of the Blackboard as the cover photo.Maybe you could marry that with Gsvs5's idea.The pic of the skinhead in the rear view mirror.Found these vintage Brooks Bros.('71 to '81)Like I had.Was remembering the smell of them new in the store and the feel of the fabric.Loved these shirts.Cheap as well on this site.http://www.etsy.com/listing/107877416/essential-vintage-brooks-brothers-makers

7. yankmod

yankmod Well-Known Member

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

Clouseau, I have been to Paris several times,but i have never been clothes/shoe shopping there,are there any shops that you would recommend for people on this thread ?

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

The problem is that i mostly like british clothes. So i don't think it would be interesting for you, because they are more expensive in France !
    The men's french clothes shops i used to like tend to disappear. There are still very "chic", classy (& very expensive) shops like Charvet and Arnys. Those shops could be interesting during the sales. For years now, like most Parisians, i only buy clothes during the winter or summer sales.
    You will find most of the trendy shops in the Halles, Marais and Bastille areas.
    About Bexley, i did noticed the calf leather, but it seemed very thin, like the soles that do indeed need a supplementary rubber sole...

10. ScootSuitnBoots

ScootSuitnBoots Member

11. corker23

corker23 Active Member

I have just picked up a new Brooks Bros shirt today for £20 from tkmax! Needless to say I am very pleased. Gave me an idea for the book title tho: Smarten up, Button down.

12. ScootSuitnBoots

ScootSuitnBoots Member

Well I do have a certain flare for sure....[​IMG]

13. Basset

Basset Well-Known Member

No sweat, M&S do some nice shirts and there not out the way money wise.

Jasper conran, Jasper carrot who cares, if you like it and it fits the look/style, why not, although personaly it has to be a tartan lining for me.

As for the high street shops waste of time in general, overpriced goods, poorly made with a flash label

14. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Well-Known Member

So Kevin Rowland (from Dexy's Midnight Runners) replied to me on another discussion portal, there's a possibility we can get him to give some input for the book.

Here's what he replied to me:

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  15. Watermelon man

Watermelon man Well-Known Member

I hesitate to write this, as a newcomer to this forum and one who seldom contributes, but in my opinion 'Walk proud', 'Walking proud' and similar titles are poor, for the reasons 'Buttons' suggests. They might have resonance with a US readership, or those who know their reggae, but not for the potential purchasers of the book in the UK.

A black-and-white collage is far better than a coloured logo, as it gives someone glancing at the cover an immediate impression of both the contents and the period that the book's about.

But, if published commercially, both cover and title will ultimately be the decision of the publisher, and you may find that neither reflect particularly well on the book's contents, and you don't like 'em -- they are there merely to sell the product.

Here's an excerpt from a brief guide to self-publishing (by Stewart Ferris):

--

How can I choose the right title and subtitle for my book?

Many books that you see in bookshops do not display the original title thought up by the author. Publishers commonly have to think of a better title in order to increase the selling potential of the book. The title and subtitle combination that you choose for your book can mean the difference between success and failure. Those few words printed on the front cover have the power to grab your attention and your wallet.

The title tells a potential reader what the book is about, and the subtitle gives them a reason to buy it. ‘How to Publish Your Own Book’ is the title of this book, but the line ‘Secrets from the Inside’ gently nudges the reader towards a purchasing decision, which will be backed up by the blurb on the back cover.

It’s not just the readers who need to be attracted by your title: bookshop managers are more likely to stock a book that has a clever, distinctive, topical or simply appropriate title. To this end, spend some time studying the titles and subtitles of competing books to see if they use wordplay, idioms, clichés with a twist or a particular vocabulary. Try to match the ‘feel’ that these books evoke when choosing your own title.
    --

To Ferris's comments, it would be wise to add, these days, that you also have to think, when considering a title, of the terms a potential purchaser might use when searching on Amazon or other online bookshop, although you could leave those words to the subtitle I guess.

16. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

The association with the reggae tune isn't important. The fact that it is a short-and-sharp title is. The subject matter can be conveyed in the sub-title.
    That's what I thought. :) Most of the snapshot photography of that time was b/w anyway. I can hand this idea over to a proper graphic artist/designer.
    That's what I said. Don't forget - I'm a literary agent. :)
    Preaching to the choir, mate! "Skin & Toniks-A Few Good Years Of British Style." - someone suggested; this isn't a bad idea, but it throws the whole emphasis onto the clothes, which isn't what the book is going to do. I'm very grateful for everyone's ideas so far.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  17. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

That's worth filing. Might come in handy.

18. browniecj

Watermelon man,it was not the Record itself-I did not have it in `69.It was a Title suggestion and the year was right.Nothing more,nothing less.How about giving some suggestions?
    Anything with "Skinhead"in the Title these days would automatically get kept off the Shelves.I would be honest here and say that I do not mind Sales in America.:)

19. browniecj

Agree on that.At least he had the taste of what was about-in the 60s.

20. buttons

buttons Well-Known Member

Kevin R was a skinhead at the time, so he's probably got something to offer. Think he just needs grilling with the right questions. Have read about him in a couple of places before. He was very much into style and fashion, pushing boundaries and creating something new. Guessing he wasn't a skinhead long for the same reasons.
    [​IMG]