• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Choco G

Reaction score
Lewisham born and bred here. Worked with a few original skins when i was on the council. Did you frequent the club opposite the old Mc Donalds that i believe is a Black and Decker building at Rushey Green?
Two brothers i know from back then, Roy and (Reggae) Bob, rode around on vespa SS 180's and i believe were not to be messed with in them days, frequented this place on a regular basis. Lived in the flats at the bottom of Verdant Lane.

Do you mean the Witchdoctor? I think it was Mr.Smith's later on where some geezer got shot (Richardson gang related?). I was too young to get in the Witchdoctor at the time but knew plenty people (Mods/Skinheads) that went there and before as the Savoy Rooms.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red Selvage on Levis, Showing off the selvage was a very important part of the Original Skinhead fashion, Don't know where the idea came from, I just thought it just looked so cool, also you knew from a distance that they was Levis that someone was wearing.

Even today i only wear big E Levis, I just could not turn up my jeans without the Red selvage, to me it just would not look right.:)

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you mean the Witchdoctor? I think it was Mr.Smith's later on where some geezer got shot (Richardson gang related?). I was too young to get in the Witchdoctor at the time but knew plenty people (Mods/Skinheads) that went there and before as the Savoy Rooms.

Yes that would be the Savoy Rooms (aka Witchdoctor). I've written a great deal about it (earlier in the thread, I think). DJ was Steve Matxed. Great place to go!

Big Muscle

Reaction score

Red Selvage on Levis, Showing off the selvage was a very important part of the Original Skinhead fashion, Don't know where the idea came from, I just thought it just looked so cool, also you knew from a distance that they was Levis that someone was wearing.
Even today i only wear big E Levis, I just could not turn up my jeans without the Red selvage, to me it just would not look right.:)

I would wear them too if they were available in Europe. So I must be satisfied with overlock stitching on 501s. I don't buy any other Levi's models anymore, since they have completely different outseam and 501s outseam is at least a bit similar to selvage (from very long distance :))).

Last edited:

bunty

Reaction score
MoM, you can get Tootal scarves in TK Maxx, they aren't silk though, polyester I'm afraid but for £7 !:)...I found a blue one with white polka dots and a blue paisley one. It's a bleedin' horrible shop but worth a look if you can stand it!

On the subject of scarves, any old Mods remember the brief fad for wearing college scarves? I've seen a few old photos of them being worn, but I can't for the life of me remember if they were 'swinging London' types or Mods that had them on?

Top find ek77, that film was great, thanks for posting it.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would wear them too if they were available in Europe. So I must be satisfied with overlock stitching on 501s. I don't buy any other Levi's models anymore, since they have completely different outseam and 501s outseam is at least a bit similar to selvage (from very long distance :))).

They are available here in London,American Classics in Covent Garden, and Stuarts Shepherds Bush. They do mail order.

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MoM, you can get Tootal scarves in TK Maxx, they aren't silk though, polyester I'm afraid but for £7 !:)...I found a blue one with white polka dots and a blue paisley one. It's a bleedin' horrible shop but worth a look if you can stand it!
On the subject of scarves, any old Mods remember the brief fad for wearing college scarves? I've seen a few old photos of them being worn, but I can't for the life of me remember if they were 'swinging London' types or Mods that had them on?
Top find ek77, that film was great, thanks for posting it.

Paul Stuarts of Shepherds Bush, London do Tootal Scarfs £29.99.

AppyLucy

Reaction score
Heeellooo all, just came across this thread today! Lots of info.

Im wondering, has anybody come across pictures from early days of a skinhead guys female counterparts??? Any I seem to come across are few and far between leaving me with little style suggestions. Im not interested in todays skinhead girl look.

Id like a truely traditional look.

Choco G

Reaction score
Even today i only wear big E Levis, I just could not turn up my jeans without the Red selvage, to me it just would not look right.
smile.gif

Wearing denim jeans without selvage and not showing it off is like having chips without salt 'n' vinegar - just not the done thing. Unfortunately, today's Levis are not a patch on the original - badly made with inferior denim. The LVC stuff is way better but they can't even make their own vintage range in the same way as back in the day.

Being a clothing snob
cool.gif
, I will only wear Sugar Cane 1947, Edwin Nashville, Lee Vintage Japan or original Levi Big E (pre '71) or Lee 101's.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

Being a clothing snob :cool: , I will only wear Sugar Cane 1947, Edwin Nashville, Lee Vintage Japan or original Levi Big E (pre '71) or Lee 101's.

a man after my own heart

Big E in London....there's also a store in Carnaby St, near the Fred Perry on Newburgh IIRC, that basically only sells LVC denims (forget their name right now). And Son of Stag off Brick Lane has selvedge Lee as well as some Japanese labels. But it's very expensive in UK for these denims, moreso than states, and def more than in Japan where it's much more affordable.

Last edited:

Choco G

Reaction score
a man after my own heart
Big E in London....there's also a store in Carnaby St, near the Fred Perry on Newburgh IIRC, that basically only sells LVC denims (forget their name right now). And Son of Stag off Brick Lane has selvedge Lee as well as some Japanese labels. But it's very expensive in UK for these denims, moreso than states, and def more than in Japan where it's much more affordable.

Son of a Stag is a good place to go, nice people there and very knowledgeable. I prefer to go direct to Japan for Lee or Sugar Canes and SoaS for Edwin. I quite like some of the Pike Brothers stuff too.

Jason: Have you come across Tellason denim? They're out of San Francisco and my wife will only wear their jeans now. They look great with Weejuns or Red Wing's. I think the store on Newburgh you mean is Cinch but not sure if it is still there.

child of 67

Reaction score
Son of a Stag is a good place to go, nice people there and very knowledgeable. I prefer to go direct to Japan for Lee or Sugar Canes and SoaS for Edwin. I quite like some of the Pike Brothers stuff too.

Jason: Have you come across Tellason denim? They're out of San Francisco and my wife will only wear their jeans now. They look great with Weejuns or Red Wing's. I think the store on Newburgh you mean is Cinch but not sure if it is still there.

Does anyone have any experince with Raleigh Denim? looks nice but expensive. Think a lot of denim was traditionally made in NC. I have an inlaw out that way so when I go again was thinking of exploring that avenue
cheers
Rob

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

Jason: Have you come across Tellason denim? They're out of San Francisco and my wife will only wear their jeans now. They look great with Weejuns or Red Wing's. I think the store on Newburgh you mean is Cinch but not sure if it is still there.

know of Tellason, but have not seen them in person. They look quite nice tho. In the last couple years there has been a huge offspring of artisan denim brands that have popped up. Most all use Cone Mills selvedge denim, with production done the old school way. Time will tell which of these brands will survive, as there are so many now it's hard to set yourself apart from the next guy as they all have good denim, good detailing, good construction, good fit, similar price. But for us denim buyers, I suppose it's better to have too many options rather than too few! There is a local brand called Civilianaire that I have been wearing a lot lately, along with my Lees and LVC. Great fit and construction, unique yellow line selvedge made from Kaihara denim in Japan, made in Los Angeles.

yes Cinch is what I was thinking of near Carnaby St

Last edited:

sambarock

Reaction score

What about inverted turnups? I really like that look because it's very unique and perfect for worn out non-selvage denim, but I'm not sure how "original" it is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads