• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ROFL!!!!!

:rotflmao:

Ooooh... France Gall! I remember France Gall

I'll spare you the pic of Sandy!

Beautiful !!!!

Inks

Reaction score
Quote: Well it's more like 'voices'. He seems to have about 20 different ones, depending on what subject he's spouting his platitudes on. And yeah, they're all bloody grating.
He's like a real life Leonard Zelig.

londonspykid

Reaction score
Shame about that DM campaign, and an embarrassing amount of historical inaccuracies in that short passage. Specials and Madness the soundtrack to the late 60s-eh?!?!

Also sad to hear of Edwin's association with the campaign. They make some beautiful straight/slim leg selvedge jeans which work well with the look IMO but the ones they seem to have produced for the campaign look like scruffy drainpipe/skinny jean nonesense from those pics.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ there is more to skinhead than the late 60s - and good to see that fact recognised in the various 'voices', albeit imperfectly.

Last edited:

londonspykid

Reaction score
Granted I skim read and didn't realise that was part of a Gavin Watson quote but when you call your campaign the spirit of 69 and make no distinctions between discussing recollections of someone from the 60s and another from the 80s it does give a somewhat inaccurate depiction. That's all I was getting at.

Ed Vaughan

Reaction score
Elms, is a self-serving upstart, who is intent on feathering his nest using the historical memories of those who are either unwilling, or unable to use the medium of radio, tv and written press. He then uses other ill-informed, media sources to present himself as someone who was there... we all know he knows fuckall, he's best ignored and starved of the oxygen of publicity he craves, and depends on so much.

Sussed, mate!

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Elms, is a self-serving palagiarist, who is intent on feathering his nest using the historical memories of those who are either unwilling, or unable to use the medium of illinformed, media sources to present himself as someone who was there... we all know he knows fuckall, he's best ignored and starved of the oxygen of publicity he craves, and depends on so much.

Don't like it, Robert? - sue me!

Sussed, mate!

Nice one Ed.I would do a pretty reasonable "Radio Show" about London,if I had the financial clout and the numerous "researchers" he has.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to see old Film of Brixton(around `69),on the Hairy Bikers "Food Tour Of Britain".It showed the Market and the surrounding Streets.The Shop I visited there (FHW)to do Window Dressing,was in Electric Avenue.Next but one door along was a Record Shop that used to blast out Reggae all day long.Walking around the Market you has various Stalls,doing the same thing.It was great during the Lunch Breaks. :)

Inks

Reaction score
Ed's right. Ignore squinty-pipsqueak Elms. Don't give the fella the oxygen.

So, to get things back on a non-Elmscentric track. Here is myself and Lennon wearing the same sun-bins.
Lennon does look infinitely more stylish I know.
Then again, my photo was taken on my 45th birthday.
Swings and round-a-bouts.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ed's right. Ignore squinty-pipsqueak Elms. Don't give the fella the oxygen. So, to get things back on a non-Elmscentric track. Here is myself and Lennon wearing the same sun-bins. Lennon does look infinitely more stylish I know. Then again, my photo was taken on my 45th birthday. Swings and round-a-bouts.
I can see the likeness :D

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda wincing every time anyone takes a clout at Elms - yes, I know it's all fair comment and he gets my goat too with his "I was there" attitude to every youth movement from 1969 onwards. BUT business is business, and his was one of the names punted around when we discussed the idea of getting a 'celeb' foreword to 'the book'.

So, how is 'the book' going? Well, I'm about to start devoting time to it again. I'm sorry that life has got in the way over the past two or three years. I have recruited some assistance and I'm hoping to hear about some progress in the near future. Meanwhile, late mod Peter Heed has unearthed some valuable photos from 1970. I'm not going to put them on here because I've noticed the way that everything posted here gets treated as public domain and flogged to death all over the internet (like my ugly mug finding its way onto a poster in Brazil - bloody ridiculous!). I'm going to try to hold a few things back so there is some good, 'new' material for publication.

Fred Perry weather up here in Scotland!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to make an exception with this detail from one of Peter Heed's photos. Pete and his mates identified themselves as mods right through the skinhead era. Some guys simply did, and saw a distinction. Here is one of Pete's mates in 1970. I dare say we wouldn't have turned our noses up at this 'look' - there's a lot we would recognise.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm going to make an exception with this detail from one of Peter Heed's photos. Pete and his mates identified themselves as mods right through the skinhead era. Some guys simply did, and saw a distinction. Here is one of Pete's mates in 1970. I dare say we wouldn't have turned our noses up at this 'look' - there's a lot we would recognise.

Yes,that is a good photo.Also backs up what I said(many,many pages back) about the Creases going underneath the Ticket Pocket.On the "Off The Peg" ones they stopped just short.The Length was how I remembered them as well.Good Photo.I knew Pete had some good ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics