• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Member Kickstarter and other fundraisers.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To address the minimalist/clean design, really appreciate the comments! In my experience, I've personally found myself enjoying a cleaner, no-frills aesthetic over the last several years. My blog was actually very much focused on that concept and how keeping things simple can do wonders for your look!

Totally understand the idea that "minimalist" could look uncreative or lazy, but it has been quite a challenge to design a pen that can be minimalist and clean, yet distinctive and functionally/ergonomically practical.

Things like engineering for a solid center balance, a thin profile despite a large ink capsule, the right balance of heft (feeling valuable and structurally solid) to daily driver practicality (being non-fatiguing in the hand), require a lot of thought that might not be as prevalent if you're not held within the constraints of keeping things clean and minimalist.

Hope that helps you understand the thought process that I've been going through to get to this design!
I think, much like the plague of "clean, minimalist" quartz watch designs, you're solving a problem that has actually been solved over and over again. I don't see anything that differentiates your design from a number of others. Essentially, you are selling a Mont Blanc rollerball cartridge in an undistinguished metal body. If I want "clean, minimalist" design I can go buy a Parker 45, a true classic.

myk7000

Reaction score
I think, much like the plague of "clean, minimalist" quartz watch designs, you're solving a problem that has actually been solved over and over again. I don't see anything that differentiates your design from a number of others. Essentially, you are selling a Mont Blanc rollerball cartridge in an undistinguished metal body. If I want "clean, minimalist" design I can go buy a Parker 45, a true classic.
Totally realized I never replied to this, I'm sorry!

Understood, it seems like perhaps my design might not be your cup of tea. I do believe, though obviously with bias, that this pen has been one that I've personally enjoyed using in its current iteration, more than any Parker I've owed, but that may be a personal preference.

In other news, I am launching the Kickstarter tomorrow - will post the link here in case anyone is interested in checking it out :)

Rsashoe

Reaction score
Hello Gents!

I’m wanting to know your honest & constructive feedback about a Goodyear Welted men’s shoe I’ve been developing and will be bringing to the Kickstarter platform for funding in October this year.

I want to bring it to the market because I feel like as consumers we often don’t get the material quality we pay for coupled with good design sense in the entry level Goodyear Welt shoe pricepoint of 300-350AUD. It’s always either one or the other and mostly for reasons relating to a brand’s strategic pricing structure.

One example is Grenson.
G1- 750-900AUD
Fantastic pattern making
Skin to box Northampton
High quality material spec

G3- 300-400AUD
Same fantastic pattern making
Skin to box India
V. Low quality material spec

Like Grenson, Barker and Loake we are producing welted shoes in India. Outside of Europe they have the best facilities to affect a better price point to the end consumer while upholding quality.

I personally have a background in shoemaking and have worked as a shoemaker for years prior to this project. I wanted to put the balanced design sense that would usually go into a much higher priced shoe and couple this with the highest quality material specifications, so you end up getting way more than you would pay for at the RRP, let alone the Kickstarter price.

The last, patternmaking and material choices have all been set by me personally to ensure a product with integrity to high quality.

F74D5B08-DCAD-4F75-B797-C250011D49F3.jpeg B163DA16-B9C6-4281-9BD4-932030BD0AC9.jpeg 18A46860-C94C-4CE0-8258-93ACFBAAE98B.jpeg 2C8FC5BC-A338-408A-95AC-29D3D4D87EA6.jpeg 6ED421FD-1B06-4673-BB31-2B937FA0F8DC.jpeg 38FBE64F-CAF2-4DAA-92A7-340FDBA9B5A4.jpeg 1223D9E3-83DE-486B-ACAE-07873E33377B.jpeg E4E11D91-E41E-4D38-BFDC-21071CD9C2BA.jpeg 9FA2AE33-EA59-46AA-BB1D-0DFB1A4216E3.jpeg 672A3A40-71D0-442A-A663-8B16E075A796.jpeg 3C289C9F-334B-4BE3-B263-AB526D964E13.jpeg

It will be offered on the Kickstarter platform at $239USD and feature
  • Premium Full Grain Calf Leather Uppers from Weinheimer tannery in Germany
  • Full Grain Calf Leather Linings
  • Authentic Goodyear Welted Construction
  • Natural Flat Leather Welt, Leather Insole and Leather Midsole (Double Sole Construction)
  • Stacked Leather Heel Lifts (not a blended composite heel block)
  • Suede heel lining at the counter
  • English Dainite Rubber Sole and Heel Top Piece
The shoe is not a copy of another shoe’s design nor is it based on a replication of a last. It is an original last with a classic plain toe derby pattern.

Please see attached for a prototype sample, with a neutral colour brown calf upper. We are still in the midst of deciding uppers and would love your suggestions there too.

I welcome your feedback and appreciate the time that you’ve taken to read what I’ve written.

Many thanks

TheSmallPotato

Reaction score
At that price point there’s actually quite a bit of competition. Carlos Santos, Meermin, Rider are a few that comes to mind. AE and Carmina can occasionally be had at that price when on sale. New entries include Cobbler Union, Founder Shoes, and TAFT which are all creating European GYW at around 200-300. You would probably have to stand out in some way.

Rsashoe

Reaction score
Thank you for writing, I was not familiar with a couple of those. The product is in the development phase so your comment is helpful, many thanks

At that price point there’s actually quite a bit of competition. Carlos Santos, Meermin, Rider are a few that comes to mind. AE and Carmina can occasionally be had at that price when on sale. New entries include Cobbler Union, Founder Shoes, and TAFT which are all creating European GYW at around 200-300. You would probably have to stand out in some way.[/QUOTE

AmantWorld

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post here on the forum but I've already found some great style advice. I'm from a small town in Sweden best known for our chocolate factory and together with a couple of enthusiast we set out to start the brand Amant.

Our goal was to mix the looks of a dress watch with the durability of a diver, so you can wear it with a suit or on adventures. We're currently sold on three continents, over 60 countries, with zero international returns during our last 3 year. So this year we decided to celebrate by launching something special.

A few specs:

Movement: ETA 2824-2
Case: 41mm, 316L Stainless Steel
Glass: Sapphire Crystal (Front & back)
Water Resistance: 100 M
Price: €249 - €349

71e50eef6198069f1c545347b5916b25_original.jpg

97d287473489d9d3c9ee45091b92e6ba_original.JPG

It will be strictly limited edition and available through Kickstarter. What do you think guys and is this something you could wear? All feedback is appreciated!

More info: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/amant/the-ultimate-explorer-watch-swiss-automatic-diver

Cheers,
Ashkan

BayandWall

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I want to present our project to this fantastic community. We´re bringing back a forgotten classic. A super stylish woven leather shoe worn by many gentlemen´s some decades ago.

LINK TO OUR KICKSTARTER.

Best regards,
Viggo Lagerwall

BayandWall.jpg

Einar_beach.jpg

Einar_pair.jpg

Last edited:

Twissic

Reaction score
Hi all!

Hope everyone is having a good day so far! Greetings from London! This is Michelle, one of the co-founders of Twissic watches. A brand that focuses on developing ultra-thin watches.

Our mission from day one is to offer comfortable and lightweight watches that are of high quality with honest pricing. In the past 2 years, we have been heavily focused on the ergonomic design of the watch and source the finest components to match with our timepieces. The idea came into my mind as I realised that there is very limited choice for well designed ultra-thin watches at affordable prices. Despite the thin case being one of our key selling points, all our watches house a Ronda Swiss movement, which has up to 6 years battery life and sourced the finest full grain leather from Italy for our soft and durable leather straps. By staying completely online, we are able to offer you this £500 value luxury watch at 1/4 of its price.

Feel free to check out our brand here and be the first few to get your pre-order before our official launch. It will be lovely if you can help to like & share with your family and friends if you like our product:) We will pick a winner from people who liked our page for a free watch when we launch!

*1. We are offering £99 for the first 250 orders on the FIRST DAY.

*2. Sharing is caring - GET YOURS FREE when you recommend 20 sign-ups.

*3. [Speical offer to Styleforum members] 1 pair of FREE leather straps & £10 cashback if you back us on Kickstarter!

TWISSIC Snake_MultiColourStrap_GreyBG.jpg 00059 (0-00-10-02).jpg
IG Watch_11B.jpg

Would love to hear your thoughts about my design! I look forward to hear from you all!

Kind Regards

Michelle

Co-founder of Twissic
Modern twist of classics
http://www.twissic.com

Follow us on social media:

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter

robertocor

Reaction score
I convinced him to start his own thing. At 71.

He is a shoemaker and worked in a factory near Florence (Italy) his whole life.

I've been trying to convince him for years, and now I'm helping him to launch his first collection.

They are custom suede shoes, handcrafted in Italy: https://kck.st/2vW2DZH

I'm biased so I won't say that they look great (but they do).

Schermata 2018-08-11 alle 00.26.15.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads