• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As ordered, made a Bond style peacoat using 24 Oz 100% wool from Dugdale, Made in England fabric, genuine Italian leather, horn buttons, lined with quilted viscose having another layer of wool quilted inside. Will keep you warm in Vostok. Lighter lining recommended for New Yorkers. No lining for Londoners.

chopsie

Reaction score
I wear as 42 in suits, and am looking into the schott 740n. Anyone have an idea what size would provide a close but not tight fit?

Peacoat

Reaction score

I wear as 42 in suits, and am looking into the schott 740n. Anyone have an idea what size would provide a close but not tight fit?

Read the sizing instructions in my peacoat dating guide. If you can get the seller to give you an accurate p2p, it removes the guesswork. The link is in my signature line below. The sizing section is toward the end.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The charcoal is 100% wool. The navy and the yet to be released black are 80/20. I just received the charcoal in a size large. I'll have to post my impressions and maybe some pictures soon.
The company rep' said that they ran out of wool and had to go with a blend. I'd predict that the grey will be a blend soon. It's already backordered from people who can't get the blue one. The grey's nice, but I'm sure that (if it was as available), most people would rather have the blue because of the movie connect. After all, if it weren't for the movie, no one would be buying the coat.

WestwardDrift

Reaction score
The company rep' said that they ran out of wool and had to go with a blend. I'd predict that the grey will be a blend soon. It's already backordered from people who can't get the blue one. The grey's nice, but I'm sure that (if it was as available), most people would rather have the blue because of the movie connect. After all, if it weren't for the movie, no one would be buying the coat.
My charcoal is thankfully 100% wool. That may change, but since the color's probably just for this year, it may simply sell out once the material is gone, like the chocolate brown version from two years ago.

While Skyfall introduced me to the BR peacoat, its look is what appealed to me. I'm really not a fan of the overly large collars many peacoats have. I prefer the smaller collar on the Billy Reid, along with the leather accents. But had TOJ come out with their planned admiral's peacoat I'd have gone with them for the interior lining and pockets and the, in my opinion, superior leather detailing.

jcard

Reaction score
hey guys probably asked before but anyone know this peacoat brand?

[ATTACHMENT=7867]GetAttachment.jpg (8k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

thanks in advance

jcard

Reaction score

hey guys probably asked before but anyone know this peacoat brand?

[ATTACHMENT=7867]GetAttachment.jpg (8k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

thanks in advance

Hope this one is better

various121

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster with a quick question and some background:

I updated my peacoat from an amateur yet dependable Ralph Lauren from 7 years ago, unstructured, unlined, 80/20 mix to a Sterlingwear Navigator, 44R (I'm a 42R suit size), 24oz 100% virgin wool, satin lining. Needless to say, there is a big difference in quality, weight, appearance and more importantly, jacket structure (lining, shoulder pads, etc).

I've noticed that trying to drive in the Sterlingwear is somewhat uncomfortable compared to my old pea coat, meaning it's like trying to drive in a suit jacket or blazer to me...doesn't feel natural, more constricting than what I'm used to (I don't drive in my suit jacket, I hang it in the back), can't extend my arms straight out as much as I want.

My question: Is this normal with a properly structured pea coat or should there be enough movement freedom to do whatever I want comfortably? Am I just used to the lesser quality thinness of the Ralph Lauren? In comparison I feel like I could do jumping jacks in the RL and with the Sterlingwear I'm having difficulty driving.

chupas

Reaction score
Hello all,

Anyone have any experience with Lost Worlds cotton duck peacoats? I know the quality is supposed to be top-notch, but I'm wondering about fit. BR/J.Crew smalls fit me perfectly, and I'm about a 37S for jackets. I'm 5'8", about 155, with lean build/slightly broad shoulders. Wondering if a small in the brown cotton duck peacoat would be an OK fit (since medium sizes are listed as 38-40). Thanks!
Bumping this because my first post was held in moderation/black box limbo forever and then got buried.

Peacoat

Reaction score

I've noticed that trying to drive in the Sterlingwear is somewhat uncomfortable compared to my old pea coat, meaning it's like trying to drive in a suit jacket or blazer to me...doesn't feel natural, more constricting than what I'm used to (I don't drive in my suit jacket, I hang it in the back), can't extend my arms straight out as much as I want.

My question: Is this normal with a properly structured pea coat or should there be enough movement freedom to do whatever I want comfortably? Am I just used to the lesser quality thinness of the Ralph Lauren? In comparison I feel like I could do jumping jacks in the RL and with the Sterlingwear I'm having difficulty driving.

You ought to be able to cross your arms in front of your body and touch your hands to the back of your upper arms above the elbows. If you can't do this, then the coat may be too small across the shoulders. The good news is that the wool shell will stretch a bit. So, if your hands will almost touch your upper arms, you may be able to stretch it out enough to allow good movement for activities such as driving.

LaymanX

Reaction score
Quick question to Mr. P-Coat...

I have a 21.5 inch chest, 22 inch chest taking a deep breath with 17.75 inch shoulders (yah yah I have narrow shoulders). I'm interested in the Buzz Rickson peacoat, but would not be layering with sweaters or anything. I usually just wear a collared shirt under my jackets so with that in mind I was thinking of snagging the size 38 (Self Edge lists it with 41 inch chest). The reason is that a size 40 has 19 inch shoulders which would look comical with my narrow shoulders, and I would rather move the buttons around to accomodate any tightness in the chest area.

Does this sound feasible to you? Many thanks in advance!

Peter

WestwardDrift

Reaction score
You were precient, VinnyMac. The Billy Reid site now says all the charcoal coat sizes are on backorder and lists them as being a 90/10 blend.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
normanlawrence