• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nzahir

Reaction score
Compared to Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, would I usually stick with my same size (when converting from UK to US) for their oxfords?

I have wide feet, so I have a pair of EEE Park Avenues that I put an insert in.

Should I stick with the same size and get the wide version?

Their return policy isn't clear and I feel like I would have to pay return shipping, so I rather not get tons of excess pairs to try on

Sinbios

Reaction score
I am afraid that these problems are impossible to fix, since the leather is damaged and is low quality. You can see exactly same problems at cheap GYW shoes e.g. Loake. On the other hand, these are not GG worth € 1.500, but still just premium Meermin worth of € 300. I do not think anyone will notice the problem and still they are beauties. Just to note, you can purchase at similar price pair of shoes on sale directly at Vass or Rozsnay.

You would think they'd use better leather on the Linea Maestro though. For uppers like those why wouldn't they just use them for the normal line instead?

BomTrady

Reaction score
So after fixing the blemish on the front toe and cleaning up some of the excess glue on the strap, I noticed that the insole is peeling off on the inside, so I ordered some rubber cement to fix it. This is probably going to be the last time I order MTO from Meermin. Just can't deal with the QC risk. I feel like many of the people on this board generally feel like ordering online and MTO is like a big gamble and it's just not worth the headache for me. I like Meermin, don't get me wrong, but I think I'll just be buying from their stores from now on.

I'm now hoping that the Cordovan cream that I ordered will be an exact match for where I cleaned it up. If it's not, what are my options?

View attachment 1408679
.....You can dye the entire shoes. It's pretty easy. I've done it a few times.

BomTrady

Reaction score
do you pull off all the old polish with Reno’mat first?
Absolutely, I learned that one the hard way. If you’re staying the same color or close or going darker, it won’t be a major concern. But if the dye is lighter than your shoe, you have to put some “elbow grease” into getting the old stuff off. That Reno Mat is a must....warning :get any small children and pets out the room before using that stuff. Seriously. If it comes down to that, dm me and I can talk you through it and you can skip all my mistakes

cr2596

Reaction score
I have a pair of Unlined Cognac suede slippers in 7.5uk in the B&S section. Holler if you’re interested.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Absolutely, I learned that one the hard way. If you’re staying the same color or close or going darker, it won’t be a major concern. But if the dye is lighter than your shoe, you have to put some “elbow grease” into getting the old stuff off. That Reno Mat is a must....warning :get any small children and pets out the room before using that stuff. Seriously. If it comes down to that, dm me and I can talk you through it and you can skip all my mistakes
How is Tampa?

Also I am going to strip the navy shoes I have and make the a more blue color. Their navy is really dark.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
Looking to sell these if anyone is interested, the last is just too sleek for me. Topy applied, only 2 wears. Unfortunately had to replace the strings. UK7, I usually take a US9, fit perfectly.

Attachments

• 20200630_175810.jpg
    20200630_175810.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 20200630_191827.jpg
    20200630_191827.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 205

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on some loafers on the RON last but just wanted to check here if anyone has any sizing advice. I'm an 8.5D US so I'm planning on converting to UK 7.5

jonsnowflow

Reaction score
I am about to buy my first pair of dress shoes ever. I am in love with the Meermin Black Calf (Oxford), but I do not know which size to choose. How can I find the right size when ordering online? Should I measure my feet? I wear size 44 in Stan Smiths and size 42 in Clarks Desert Boots. Hope you can help.

Usonian

Reaction score
I am about to buy my first pair of dress shoes ever. I am in love with the Meermin Black Calf (Oxford), but I do not know which size to choose. How can I find the right size when ordering online? Should I measure my feet? I wear size 44 in Stan Smiths and size 42 in Clarks Desert Boots. Hope you can help.
meermin has sizing charts if you email them, they'll help you out.

Also, if it's your first pair of dress shoes, I might opt for something in brown rather than black... black isn't quite as versatile, and if you're just getting into the world of dressing up, the sharpness of the black may be a bit contrasting with the rest of your ensemble. just something to consider.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
meermin has sizing charts if you email them, they'll help you out.

Also, if it's your first pair of dress shoes, I might opt for something in brown rather than black... black isn't quite as versatile, and if you're just getting into the world of dressing up, the sharpness of the black may be a bit contrasting with the rest of your ensemble. just something to consider.
I agree brown is more versatile, but I recommend everyone to own a pair of black oxford for those event that they should be worn (i.e. weddings, funerals, general events where higher formality). Black oxfords were my first pair, granted they don't get worn much, but still a necessity. If OP will be buying another pair in the future and doesn't need black right now, I'd say get a dark brown/burgundy and then a black after. Brown shades get the most use for me

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodfoot