• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Measuring the Popularity of a Brand

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was speculating on this just now and I was hoping someone with more knowledge on the subject than myself (forum affiliates maybe?) could clue me in: How 'big' are the brands that get a lot of love on SF? I suspect that most of the brands are privately held and therefore any numbers would be speculation (in addition to the fact that it probably varies widely from season to season), but how much volume do brands like these produce and sell to retailers?

Engineered Garments, Rag & Bone, Common Projects, Nom de Guerre, Band of Outsiders, Wings & Horns, etc.

TDV

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
I suspect that most of the brands are privately held and therefore any numbers would be speculation

you just answered your own question.

alexwgoody

Reaction score
I've noticed BOO getting more and more popular with non-sfer's, especially with TV characters. Mark Ronson was just in Details talking about how much he loved his BOO shirts.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexwgoody
I've noticed BOO getting more and more popular with non-sfer's, especially with TV characters. Mark Ronson was just in Details talking about how much he loved his BOO shirts.

I think it's partially because you may have just recently started paying attention for that kinda stuff. BoO has been all over every GQ/Esquire the past 2 years

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Where's the ghost rider option?

This work for you?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
This work for you?
Great call. I could go without the Nelson but good enough.

To answer your question, spending time on this forum you'd believe that everyone has heard of labels like Band or EG. Step away from the computer and I'd dare you to find one person in fifty, even in LA, who have heard of those labels. Still, I was SHOCKED the other day when I was at a bar with a buddy of mine, who wore nothing but AF/Diesel/etc., and the film "Band of Outsiders" came on. He commented, "Oh, that must be where Band gets their name from."

I'd say domestically (US) the brands we like here are small potatoes. They're boutique brands. Certain brands, though, get a bit of the Barney's/Sak's love so their audiences are slightly larger but when compared to mall brands... again, small timers. It's not uncommon for a big store like Target, for example, to do a test run on a "collection" of 40,000 pieces or so. That's just a test run when for some companies on here, that'd be a few seasons.

Internationally, however, some brands might actually do well. There's some talk that Band sells very, very well in Japan, for example. Other similar brands apparently do well, better than in the US in fact.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1

I find a few people know about band, eg, ndg etc.

In my limited experience people know more about whatever local mags are pushing. Chronicles of never is really big here and so is heidi era Dior type collections.

However, I have been seeing a few people in boatshoes / cp's / aa / slim raws / fitted button ups. Not that many though, more RO inspired outfits ATM.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Then again, i wore a BoO tie to a wedding in the hicktown of Ocala and when i went to the bar with my date afterwards, these hipster kids in the the band waiting to play asked me about my tie, when i mentioned BoO and walked away my date looked at me shocked and asked how i heard of and could afford Band. Busted
frown.gif
Then again, she's one of those glamour magazine wannabe fashionista girls so she saw BoO in her magazines.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I was speculating on this just now and I was hoping someone with more knowledge on the subject than myself (forum affiliates maybe?) could clue me in: How 'big' are the brands that get a lot of love on SF? I suspect that most of the brands are privately held and therefore any numbers would be speculation (in addition to the fact that it probably varies widely from season to season), but how much volume do brands like these produce and sell to retailers?

Engineered Garments, Rag & Bone, Common Projects, Nom de Guerre, Band of Outsiders, Wings & Horns, etc.

Popularity and commercial success (seems to be what you're inquiring about) do not always go hand in hand.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like many underappreciated yet quality things (andrew bird, engineered garments, etc.) i speculate it's harder for makers of artisanal goods to expand without there being some sort of compromise of quality, and for many people -- musician and designer alike -- they hold themselves to a certain standard to the point where they'd rather be appreciated by a select few meticulous folks rather than cash in for a chance in the spotlight. not that it isn't possible to have both, just much harder.

spreadcollar

Reaction score
To what bar must I go for Godard to be playing in the background?

Originally Posted by whodini
Still, I was SHOCKED the other day when I was at a bar with a buddy of mine, who wore nothing but AF/Diesel/etc., and the film "Band of Outsiders" came on...

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spreadcollar
To what bar must I go for Godard to be playing in the background?
Only in the small neighborhood bars of L.A. Oddly enough, I have The 400 Blows on right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads