• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafoofan struggles to buy breast wallet at Hermes . . . arises victorious!

Icarus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
This is why we can't have nice things.
Your photography is why we can't have nice things.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icarus
Your photography is why we can't have nice things.

"I can't discuss that at this time" is why we can't have nice things.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, I met with a woman watchmaker (23 years young) who showed me a concept for what would be the most advanced complication in watchmaking in the past couple of decades. At this point, and going forward, my faith in women was very high. After some discussions as of recent on our sister forum, that faith plunged to an all time low. Your post has singlehandedly restored that faith. You have earned a coupon for 1 complimentary dinner and massage, both cooked and performed by yours truly. This is me high-fiving you over the internet.

im not sure any women really care what your opinion of them is.

the misogyny on this board can be astounding at times.

Icarus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
im not sure any women really care what your opinion of them is. the misogyny on this board can be astounding at times.
nor do I care if they do, nor should they

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Merry Christmas guys. Whats new here? Only 14 more pages were added since I checked last night.
facepalm.gif

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
There are bespoke tailors here who pay their apprentices in kimchi. There are members who date a few Hollywood B-listers (well, D.). We have dudes who can buy and sell the parts of Seoul that your members don't buy and sell. We also have men who are still in their closets.

Am I happy now? I am always happy, partially because my H SAs are attentive.

Superior.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Merry Christmas guys. Whats new here? Only 14 more pages were added since I checked last night.
facepalm.gif

I didn't think the thread would last beyond page 50, what little I know.
plain.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I didn't think the thread would last page 50, what little I know.
plain.gif

Wurd!

cakeymakeybakey

Reaction score
Cakey, you are the one who missed my point entirely. It was never about money. You, along with other posters, were making a case that the women posters on tpf are deeper than the handbags they own or their obsession with them. You performed a disservice by using that 100k in handbags anecdote. When I point out that it only makes you and some members look more shallow, you proceed to tell me about million dollar closets and actress posters, things more shallow I could not think of myself. Congratulations, you have truly erased the benefit of doubt I was giving you and others. I hope they are having fun bathing in their vanity while women researchers elsewhere are researching cures for cancer. A couple weeks ago, I met with a woman watchmaker (23 years young) who showed me a concept for what would be the most advanced complication in watchmaking in the past couple of decades. At this point, and going forward, my faith in women was very high. After some discussions as of recent on our sister forum, that faith plunged to an all time low. Your post has singlehandedly restored that faith. You have earned a coupon for 1 complimentary dinner and massage, both cooked and performed by yours truly. This is me high-fiving you over the internet.
It's so funny that you actually thought I was responding to you, when the last few things you said prior to my "disservice" of a post had to do with "bodacious babes" and "clint's cat avatar." And I never tried to imply that any of the members were deeper than the handbags they own, just that appearances can be deceiving. You seem to infer much more from what is written than authorial intent. Clearly you are from the reader response school of literary criticism. Welcome to the funhouse of anarchic subjectivism, I guess. And the cancer bit is just a failed attempt on your part to be clever and play the holier-than-thou card. Brilliant researchers can also like expensive toys. One of the women researchers on the original Human Genome Project, who is the sister of a friend, owns a Birkin.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juliette2000
This makes me laugh.

As a long-time member of tPF, there is no doubt that there is a not insignificant number of women who patronize the Hermes sub-forum who are operating under the delusion that because they can plunk down thousands of dollars for a (fictionally) elusive purse with the Hermes name on it....this makes them special and superior....when all that has happened is that they have been suckered in by a marketing strategy. And - as evidenced by some of the tPFer's posts in the SF thread back on tPF - they get their undies in a bunch at even the slightest hint that they are NOT superior just because they can piss away thousands on a bag. Oh, they will deny it until they are blue in the face and mods often delete or edit posts that don't toe the party line.

I know the OP on the SF thread back at tPF started it as a way to make fun of and put down those who dare to have their own opinions about Hermes....but I personally have found that what it did for me was to introduce me to an intelligent - and highly entertaining - group of men who have a refreshing take on such things as Hermes and other so-called luxury goods.

I think I may hang out here for a bit.....

(and, oh yes, counting down to the flaming from the tPF Hermes devotees....)

welcome. we look forward to your posts

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Alden
Foo,

There are quite a few ex Hermes artisans who make for Parisians. They are tucked away in niches of the Marais and the 16th, do not advertise, do not want to be disturbed by new enquiries and are found by word of mouth. Their work is rumored to be superior to the originals because the production is more artisanal, more "old style" Hermes. Because they have neither the overhead, nor the advertising budget, the cost is half of the original products; but the craftsmen will not make copies of current Hermes models.

In the last decade or so Hermes has been invaded by tourists. If you go to any of the stores in town you will hear American English, Japanese, Russian and Chinese and the only French will be spoken by the very well trained and excruciatingly polite sales staff. However, the staff is trained to politely conclude a sale within a predetermined number of minutes and this is especially critical during the busy holiday period. If you want the best service it is advisable to avoid the crowds. "Don't expect to dine well when the kitchen fires are stoked" (an old French saying.)

There is a grain of truth to the comment from the ladies purse forum about having to earn one's stripes to purchase Euro luxury goods. A quirky, old continent bit of wisdom says that "anything that can be bought easily is not worth the price." SR built their business model on that precept for nearly a century.

Cheers

M Alden
www.dresswithstyle.com

where exactly are some of these ex-hermes aeteliers in paris? thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads