• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mafoofan struggles to buy breast wallet at Hermes . . . arises victorious!

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm almost through that Bringing Home the Birkin book by Michael Tonillio or whatever. It's hard to put down, the guy basically explains this thread.

There's a formula to purchasing stuff from Hermes, apparently. You'd have to get in there and grab a few more items before you were able to get something custom like you've asked for. The guy walks in off the street and could get a Birkin in any location he wanted just by ordering like $1000 bucks worth of things BEFORE he asked for the bag. Mostly scarves which he resold... sounds like fun but I'm not sure I really want anything from Hermes after reading his book and this thread. Exclusive, yes, but worth my time?

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBrown85
I'm almost through that Bringing Home the Birkin book by Michael Tonillio or whatever. It's hard to put down, the guy basically explains this thread.

There's a formula to purchasing stuff from Hermes, apparently. You'd have to get in there and grab a few more items before you were able to get something custom like you've asked for. The guy walks in off the street and could get a Birkin in any location he wanted just by ordering like $1000 bucks worth of things BEFORE he asked for the bag. Mostly scarves which he resold... sounds like fun but I'm not sure I really want anything from Hermes after reading his book and this thread. Exclusive, yes, but worth my time?

Was it so hard for the SA to explain that in detail instead of just saying "I cant discuss that at this time"? Whether it's a case of bad SA training, or lack of skills, truth of the matter is, with an approach like that, they shy away potential long term customers. I'm sure just a small percentage of the people that go to the stores with the intention of buying do so after extensively researching all of their customer policies and available product options.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'd like to point out that nothing I reported here says anything about Hermes's special order policy. Nobody should jump to any conclusions about what they do or don't do based on my posts.

understood, nonetheless the SAs behavior was absurd

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All you guys talking about building special relationships with SAs or having to cross a certain dollar threshold in purchases are either blowing hot air or simply off the mark.

I just received an e-mail from the SA notifying me that she thinks they can do the order, but they need final confirmation from Paris.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Y'know, maybe I don't spend enough time on this forum, but every time I see the letters "SA" I read them as "Sturmabteilung". That makes this thread even more entertaining.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All you guys talking about building special relationships with SAs or having to cross a certain dollar threshold in purchases are either blowing hot air or simply off the mark.

I just received an e-mail from the SA notifying me that she thinks they can do the order, but they need final confirmation from Paris.

Well hopefully I'm just off the mark. That said, the books is primarily about Birkin bags, which I think at the time were more "exclusive" than green breast wallets. I don't think it's impossible to imagine this from happening though.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBrown85

Crazy... I read "Deluxe: How Luxury Lost its Luster" ( http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-How-Lux.../dp/1594201293 ) and out of all the mainstream luxury houses it seemed Hermes and Chanel were the only ones that lived up to their craftsmanship hype. Let's just say Micheal Kors and LV are at the other end.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've posted in here yet. Shame.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's nice that she is taking time out of her busy Holiday plans to help out Foo

images-1.jpg

tj100

Reaction score

My experience with Hermes sales associates is that they get jerked around by the HQ as much (or more) than they jerk around with customers, and it often creates some real challenges for them. It seems like the only thing they know with any certainty is that they can sell what they physically have in the store at the moment that you're in there.

When you ask, "is such and such available", their answer tends to be "I don't know, maybe" - and it's the god's honest truth. They don't know. They've probably asked HQ for it four time for four customers in the past, and twice it came through without a problem, but twice the response from Paris was "c'est impossible! why would you think we could do that?"

I've found that when I'm looking for something specific, if the SA can find it in stock somewhere in North America, odds of getting it are very good. If they can't, odds of getting it are still decent, it just might take a while.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
Have you had a chance to discuss it with the SA prior to this?

After visiting the shop? No.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads