• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a good, affordable thin belt (not *skinny* - but thin, as in, not bulky)

oneninetyseven

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering if you could suggest some reasonably priced (ie, $50 and under if they exist), decent to good quality leather belts, black preferred, matte buckle, nothing fancy, plain leather...that are thin - not "skinny". Of a normal width, but not too thick, so that they sit nice and flat.

I'm always keeping my eyes out, but any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

oneninetyseven

Reaction score
Wow, these are quite nice looking belts, and very reasonably priced, too. I'm always happy to support US/Canada companies like this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine most average flat leather belts being thick enough to be 'bulky'. After a certain point, thinner leather tends to just mean cheap and flimsy.

The usual recommendation for belts is somewhere like http://www.equusleather.co.uk, is this normal thickness what you're looking for, or are you looking for something significantly thinner than that?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harness is even thicker and those are harness.

Last edited:

oneninetyseven

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hadn't even considered bridle vs. harness. In the meantime, I have checked out Equus, and yes, their stuff is very nice, too. Heck - considering the dismal selection I've found in most stores around here (retail-ville, Ontario), any of these suggestions look great, thicker leather or not. I suppose if I'm ever in Toronto, I can check out J Crew, grit.

KObalto, thank you for that suggestion - more to look at.

Cheers!

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually, since it seems you've gravitated to just wanting a better belt - with thinness taking a lesser priority - you should definitely check out Torino Leather here: http://torinoleather.com/

They occasionally run sales like 20 or 30% off - I think twice a year, usually around the 4th of July and later in the year. I stocked up a couple of years ago on 4 or 5 of their belts and they've all been fantastic. They're already good price for what they are, but with the discount they are a no brainer compared to what you'll find in 98% of retail.

oneninetyseven

Reaction score
Actually, since it seems you've gravitated to just wanting a better belt - with thinness taking a lesser priority - you should definitely check out Torino Leather here: http://torinoleather.com/
They occasionally run sales like 20 or 30% off - I think twice a year, usually around the 4th of July and later in the year. I stocked up a couple of years ago on 4 or 5 of their belts and they've all been fantastic. They're already good price for what they are, but with the discount they are a no brainer compared to what you'll find in 98% of retail.

Thanks for that link - I like some of what I see there. You're right - in the last few days, it's been more in my mind that I should focus first on quality. I've had a couple of big let-downs with mass produced, Made in China - and even Made in the USA (but from a big retail chain) leather products. I know that such products can be well made - but you've got to hunt more, and for the most part, it's not worth spending on cheaply made goods. Give me long-term performance and durability over disposable stuff any day, even if it costs a more (and not really that much more) to begin with. I'm through with the cheap crap, even if it means waiting longer to purchase something.

Cheers

Last edited:

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for that link - I like some of what I see there.  You're right - in the last few days, it's been more in my mind that I should focus first on quality.  I've had a couple of big let-downs with mass produced, Made in China - and even Made in the USA (but from a big retail chain) leather products.  I know that such products can be well made - but you've got to hunt more, and for the most part, it's not worth spending on cheaply made goods.  Give me long-term performance and durability over disposable stuff any day, even if it costs a more (and not really that much more) to begin with.  I'm through with the cheap crap, even if it means waiting longer to purchase something.

Cheers

You're only 5 months and 33 posts in on your SF membership. A post like yours is usually at the 2 year mark or so (assuming everyone starts from the same point which, obviously, isn't true). Regardless, now you're talking :slayer:

Take a good look at Torino - I think they're a great choice at the intersection of best-bang-for-the-buck. More expensive than the retail stores? Yes, probably by 40-50%'ish. But will last 10x longer and look/wear a heck of a lot better along the way. It's almost a no brainer once you establish the fact that the $20-$50 department store stuff is all crap.

Since I was in your shoes a couple of years ago, here's a recent SF thread on "who makes the best belts": http://www.styleforum.net/t/236145/who-makes-the-best-belts/0_100

Oh, and I'll save you some reading; if you want a belt that is all yours, practically a work of art, and created by a true artisan, check out Mark Kelty : http://www.mkelty.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads