• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GuyLab

Reaction score
No first hand experience of Meermin but Loake 1880 are well made and good value in my opinion. They are part made in England. Stitching is thought to usually be in India. Other Loake ranges such as Design Loake are entirely imported and may have cheaper construction methods. In my experience, their suede offerings are nice and soft. My leather boots (Lytham and Sedbergh) have still quite stiff uppers but otherwise tough and quite stylish IMHO. My favourites are my Bedale suede brogue boots.

Other less expensive traditional Northamptonshire brands that might worth considering (particularly when discounted) include Barkers of Earls Barton (I like my new Sutton Chelsea boots), Sanders and Sanders (especially my Craig in waxy suede), and NPS Boots. NPS makes both traditional Goodyear welted shoes as well as the Solovair range which are similar to Dr Martens.

It might also be worth searching put discounts on some of the otherwise pricey brands such as Cheaney.
Thanks that's helpful, I'm indeed looking at 1880 models such as bedale, burford or Anglesey. Is the leather quality good? Couldn't find where they source their leathers from

Swampster

Reaction score

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks that's helpful, I'm indeed looking at 1880 models such as bedale, burford or Anglesey. Is the leather quality good? Couldn't find where they source their leathers from
Hello

I have never had any issue (i.e. growth marks) with Loake's leather. I started my "shoe journey" with Loake at Herring's and I am very pleased.

Regards

rakuskus

Reaction score
Hello, I'd like to give a try to Loake as I want to get typically British style boots and other brands are a bit too pricey for me.
My only experience in terms of Goodyear welted boots is with meermin so far, how would Loake 1880 compare?
Thanks in advance
If I may give my advice. If you have to go with Loake stay with the 1880 collection. However, for the same price range I would prefer SANDERS & SANDERS.

sanders loafer edit.jpg

Pinjo

Reaction score
Hello, people!

i'm looking for a versatile workhorse. My first serious shoe up to 200 Pounds. I wonder which one would You choose, since there's little info on Sanders&Sanders online.

Or, perhaps, something else?!

Thank You in advance.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
The 1880 range? What's the source on this? Last I heard 1880 and any range above is all made in England.
I would have preferred this not to have been the case. I am born and bred in Northamptonshire. We all used to have family and neighbours in the industry. When possible I like to buy from the factory outlets including Loake, Cheaney, and Barker. As far as I can tell, Cheaney and Sanders are stitched in their respective factories but I don't work in the industry myself.

Unless I have misinterpreted Mr Loake, it says so below. Cutting and stitching appear to be defined here as distinct from 'making' in the Q&A following this article:

1000005335.jpg

Last edited:

KOz

Reaction score
I would have preferred this not to have been the case. I am born and bred in Northamptonshire. We all used to have family and neighbours in the industry. When possible I like to buy from the factory outlets including Loake, Cheaney, and Barker.

Unless I have misinterpreted Mr Loake, it says so below. Cutting and stitching appear to be defined here as distinct from 'making' in the Q&A following this article:
Thanks for clarifying! Unfortunate side effect of when people cannot afford to or do not want to pay what it costs to have everything done locally. That, and declined demand in leather footwear.

Vevin

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I found these on sale in the US. Would you say USD 185 is a good price for an Oxford from the Loake 1880 collection? Pardon my ignorance.

KOz

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I found these on sale in the US. Would you say USD 185 is a good price for an Oxford from the Loake 1880 collection? Pardon my ignorance.
They retail for £285 and they're worth it at that price. So yes - $185 is a massive saving.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score

Owned this Bedale for a few years now. Quality leather and stitching and soles. Solid boot. Very positive experience with it. Well worth what you pay for them.

20210102_112624.jpg

20210102_112613.jpg

20231108_111911.jpg

Last edited:

Northants bloke

Reaction score
The 1880 boots seem very well made wherever they are stitched. A bit sneaky though. I seem to remember mention of particular 'Made in England, ' boots not being entirely as described from family way back in the 70s (not at Loakes).

I would be interested to know if Barkers are fully machined in Northamptonshire given that they are sold at a similar price point? I believe that NPS and Sanders manage it (although much smaller companies). Cheaneys seem to be pushing a little more up market towards Crocketts niche.

On the other hand John White's admit to selling their (non welted) shoes with their Northampton branding when all that remains locally for decades now is the office and distribution unit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads