• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TimothyF

Reaction score
As I promised some, here are the pictures of my first pair of Loake 1880s. The Russell tassel loafer, in "polo" suede (which is mid-brown), last College
1701303049315.jpeg

1701303076309.jpeg

Gave it a more thorough inspection than possible at the store, and these are the biggest flaws I can find. Would love long-time owners to chime in to tell me if these issues are par-for-the-course, and to be expected for Loake's price point.

1701303822981.jpeg

Less worried about that scratch on the front tip of the outsole (because I'm sure I'll put more gouges in). But directing your gaze to that vertical bump/column of extra leather above the welt.

1701303426464.jpeg

This creasing (or do we call it "loose grain") on just one of the insoles, about half an inch before the widest part of the shoe.

1701306630613.jpeg
1701306669200.jpeg

Some sloppiness in the welt stitching and joining

If you think any of these are serious issues, please let me know!

Attachments

• 1701303176430.jpeg
    1701303176430.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I promised some, here are the pictures of my first pair of Loake 1880s. The Russell tassel loafer, in "polo" suede (which is mid-brown), last College
View attachment 2079777
View attachment 2079779

Gave it a more thorough inspection than possible at the store, and these are the biggest flaws I can find. Would love long-time owners to chime in to tell me if these issues are par-for-the-course, and to be expected for Loake's price point.

View attachment 2079801
Less worried about that scratch on the front tip of the outsole (because I'm sure I'll put more gouges in). But directing your gaze to that vertical bump/column of extra leather above the welt.

View attachment 2079791
This creasing (or do we call it "loose grain") on just one of the insoles, about half an inch before the widest part of the shoe.

View attachment 2079821 View attachment 2079823
Some sloppiness in the welt stitching and joining

If you think any of these are serious issues, please let me know!

Very nice shoes, enjoy them. Remember that they are handmade so you will always find some minor flaws, happens with C&J and Church's and other brands.

TimothyF

Reaction score
Hi Timothy

here is my Loake Perth in suede

View attachment 2080467 View attachment 2080449 View attachment 2080453 View attachment 2080455 View attachment 2080459 View attachment 2080465

That extra bump might be leather fold due to lasting the upper by machine. Creasing in the insole is a no issue. Welt join are to be expected, you can compared with my shoes.

However I do think they use different type of suede for your shoes.

cheers

Thank you rakuskus. I figured the "wrinkling" on the outside as well as parts of lining is due to imperfect lasting. Oh well can't expect perfection at this price, as you and others rightfully point out.

Curious if you'd like to elaborate more on why you think our suedes are different. Are you basing it on colour, or some other quality you distinguish between my shoes and yours?

rakuskus

Reaction score
Thank you rakuskus. I figured the "wrinkling" on the outside as well as parts of lining is due to imperfect lasting. Oh well can't expect perfection at this price, as you and others rightfully point out.

Curious if you'd like to elaborate more on why you think our suedes are different. Are you basing it on colour, or some other quality you distinguish between my shoes and yours?

It is difficult to be 100% sure telling from the pictures. I’m suspecting yours probably are janus reverse. Mine would be superbuck.

I just compared them with my other suede shoes that I know what type of suede they use.

dwalsh1

Reaction score
Hi All
New to this site and first thread :) I'm currently a wearer of RM Williams boots and Church shoes and today took delivery of a pair of Loake 771s. Reading different opinions on sizing on Google I decided to order my normal size 6 but looking at them they feel and look quite big so have now ordered a pair of 5.5 shoes. I was emailing Loake about their sizing and someone came back to me and mentioned that they had no 5.5Bs in stock and didn't know when they was getting stock (I possibly ordered the last pair this morning) Anyway the size 6s I currently have are marked 771T on the box. This is where I'm confused. What's the difference between a pair of 771B & 771T? I thought the Ts were seconds so correct me if I'm wrong.

Swampster

Reaction score
One supplier - Bradshaw and Lloyd - offer both the B & T. The only difference I can see in the description is that their description of the 771T mentions a storm welt. That may not be significant though. They only offer each one in a single colour - could that be the only reason for the lettering?

dwalsh1

Reaction score
Hi All
New to this site and first thread :) I'm currently a wearer of RM Williams boots and Church shoes and today took delivery of a pair of Loake 771s. Reading different opinions on sizing on Google I decided to order my normal size 6 but looking at them they feel and look quite big so have now ordered a pair of 5.5 shoes. I was emailing Loake about their sizing and someone came back to me and mentioned that they had no 5.5Bs in stock and didn't know when they was getting stock (I possibly ordered the last pair this morning) Anyway the size 6s I currently have are marked 771T on the box. This is where I'm confused. What's the difference between a pair of 771B & 771T? I thought the Ts were seconds so correct me if I'm wrong.
Took delivery of the 771s yesterday. Well pleased 😀
IMG_20231217_133907421_HDR.jpg

CM76

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, looking for sizing advice. Does anyone know how the fit of a Bedale compares to a Solovair derby boot?
I know the general advice for the G fit Bedale is size down by a half, but being able to compare to another boot would be helpful. Solovair 10.5 fits very well in length, but I'd be ok with a little extra width in the midfoot. Thanks in advance!

Swampster

Reaction score
I've only had Solovair derby shoes rather than boots, so I hope this helps.
My feet are wide - similar to the extra wide photo at https://anyasreviews.com/best-barefoot-shoes-foot-type/ with a high instep. The Solovair shoes were too tight across the instep for me, even though I went up half a size. They then also felt too long for me, but then my toes are rather short anyway.
I have the Bedales in my normal size. They are fairly roomy but comfortably so. Virtually all of my shoes and boots are Loake on the Pennine last because they are roomy across the mid-foot, so they may be good for you.

GuyLab

Reaction score
Hello, I'd like to give a try to Loake as I want to get typically British style boots and other brands are a bit too pricey for me.
My only experience in terms of Goodyear welted boots is with meermin so far, how would Loake 1880 compare?
Thanks in advance

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Hello, I'd like to give a try to Loake as I want to get typically British style boots and other brands are a bit too pricey for me.
My only experience in terms of Goodyear welted boots is with meermin so far, how would Loake 1880 compare?
Thanks in advance
No first hand experience of Meermin but Loake 1880 are well made and good value in my opinion. They are part made in England. Stitching is thought to usually be in India. Other Loake ranges such as Design Loake are entirely imported and may have cheaper construction methods. In my experience, their suede offerings are nice and soft. My leather boots (Lytham and Sedbergh) have still quite stiff uppers but otherwise tough and quite stylish IMHO. My favourites are my Bedale suede brogue boots.

Other less expensive traditional Northamptonshire brands that might worth considering (particularly when discounted) include Barkers of Earls Barton (I like my new Sutton Chelsea boots), Sanders and Sanders (especially my Craig in waxy suede), and NPS Boots. NPS makes both traditional Goodyear welted shoes as well as the Solovair range which are similar to Dr Martens.

It might also be worth searching put discounts on some of the otherwise pricey brands such as Cheaney.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads