• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life after university is depressing...

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slumdawgbillionaire
Hi Longskate,

what part of SD did you hike? I want to do some hiking in SD, and I am curious what trails did you hike at?

Thanks

I did the Lake Poway to Mt. Woodson hike...took about 3.5 hours total, though we stopped to take pics and rest at times. I'd recommend it, we only saw 1 other person the entire time.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, I remember there were a couple of "lull years" after I graduated and when I was working. Nothing bad but nothing terribly good either. All I remember doing was being single, learning to cook a bit, exercising, and working 9-5.

All I can say is develop some hobbies, decide what you like to do/eat/drink/watch/listen to, etc. You have a bit of free time right now so I recommend enjoying it. You would be shocked how much this free time evaporates when you have a steady SO or longer hours at work, or both.

red120

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
So I graduated university 2 years ago and something started happening... everyone I went to school with started going their separate ways. Alot of them are in living in different places or at different places in their lives, like getting married. Meanwhile, I'm here on my own. If I scrolled through my cell right now to find someone to hang out with, I could probably find 2 people. I'm single and just plain hating it. It gets pretty depressing to just go to work and come home. Even if I want to go on vacation and get away from it, who would I go with? Lately I've been thinking I should go on one of those contiki tours, but even then it might be a little weird for me to go by myself. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
Yeah, it's pretty horrible. Everyone just wants to go home after work, or do nothing / hang out with their SO all the time. Plus, people at work are more fake than people back in college, of course. No light I've seen yet though, just the evolution of things. Gotta make your own things happen.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
----

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did y'all expect?

Syl

Reaction score
I blame this on people who don't push themselves in school. Quite frankly, upon graduation I found life much better. I finally had a real income and lots of time to indulge in things I could not dream of while going to school.

Simply put - get off the computer, cell, pda, whatever and go start meeting people for real. It works wonders.

slumdawgbillionaire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
I did the Lake Poway to Mt. Woodson hike...took about 3.5 hours total, though we stopped to take pics and rest at times. I'd recommend it, we only saw 1 other person the entire time.

Thanks Longskate88, i have never hike the poway route, i have hike up the mt woodson in the short route. I will try poway route one of this day.

btw, what stores do you shop at for your style beside fashion valley?

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I graduated a couple of weekends ago. It took me forever to finish school, so a lot of my friends have been slowly dispersing over the last two or three years. My immediate social circle has taken a real hit over the last year. A good friend started grad school in another state. My girlfriend and I split. Another good friend is moving to Korea next month. As it stands, there's only one friend I ever do anything with anymore that will still be around in the near future.

It's a bit of a downer, but to be expected. This isn't an area with great opportunity for the liberal arts crowd (which we all fall into), so it was inevitable that the group splintered off, lest we find ourselves working unsatisfying jobs here.

Personally, I'm taking the change as an opportunity to lay the foundation for what I want to do in the next phase of my life. I plan to relocate by the end of the year, so I'm spending a lot of my free time building up my personal Web site, freelancing, and networking.

If you're already locked into a career, I suggest you just find different social avenues to take advantage of. Start frequenting local coffee shops, bookstores, gyms, whatever. Whoever said this is your chance to make friendships with people who have similar interests is correct. Quite a few of my friends from high school and early college are still here. They're good people, but we don't have much in common anymore. Times change and that means, who you spend time with changes, too.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slumdawgbillionaire
Thanks Longskate88, i have never hike the poway route, i have hike up the mt woodson in the short route. I will try poway route one of this day.

btw, what stores do you shop at for your style beside fashion valley?

Yea the Poway route is much more varied and scenic, good hike!

As far as style...honestly I don't wear most of the brands that are talked about here, so I shop at Fashion Valley, Nords Rack, Brooks Brothers, and Armani Exchange. I really do like A/X, if you stay away from their logo'ed stuff they use neat materials, and it fits small guys like me well. As long as you don't wear A/X head to toe, I think it looks good. I wear jeans or shorts, flip flops (Rainbows) and polos, so typical SoCal wear...I just think mine fit better ; )

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uvmboi13
I know how you feel but...Just listen to my song and the pain just melts away like lava.
you really need to stop spamming the forum.

GucciMonster

Reaction score
You need to fill your time better. Personally I found a torrent with a bunch of self help tapes and it's made me a better person as I have learned mroe about myself and the world around me. Also, you should consider volunteering your time to those in less fortunate circumstances. Not only will you feel better about yourself, but it will make you feel like someone who benefits society.

Lastly, leave edmonton! It sucks out there, lol.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

Your posts leave me with the impression that you need to get the hell out of your current whereabouts.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Syl
I blame this on people who don't push themselves in school. Quite frankly, upon graduation I found life much better. I finally had a real income and lots of time to indulge in things I could not dream of while going to school.

I'm guessing you graduated before the economy went to ****?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS

+1. So true.

Syl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS

well, technically no. I graduated in 2002, at the height of the dot com burst with a degree in physics and the intention to work for a high tech company. It wasnt' easy then (and I'm sure it's not now).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads