• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life after university is depressing...

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that post-college life is just so much better in every way. You have a career, an income, a trajectory you're working on. New hobbies, new skills. More travel, assets, maturity. As a man, 20s dating is better than college, and 30s dating is even better than 20s.

You're just going through a transition. Try to live in a populated area with other young people. Are you in a big city? Time to break out of your sheltered shell.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Dude this is not hard. Figure out what you like to do. Join a club based around that activity. Go to club meetings or whatever. Voila. You have friends that at least have on area of interest that you do.
The reason you're depressed is because all you do is come home and do nothing. It's boring. It's not living. I'd be depressed as well.

that sounds perilously like advice that I once gave you. Glad it sank in. That's how the world is supposed to work.

enjoiii

Reaction score
You sound depressing to be around, maybe that is why you can't make any friends.

Can you not go out with people from your office? I would start drinking also, makes it much easier to meet people your age then being the guy that doesan't drink.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if its that depressing, and the job isnt some magical one you some how scored, id really consider getting the hell out of edmonton. move to another city, mybe live with some roommates etc.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uvmboi13
I know how you feel but...Just listen to my song and the pain just melts away like lava.

sick of this. stop it.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
sick of this. stop it.

i know how you feel, and if youre sick of it, just listen to my song.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
that sounds perilously like advice that I once gave you. Glad it sank in. That's how the world is supposed to work.

I will never admit that I gained that advice from anything but personal experience and wisdom.

Thanks, BTW

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I am officially freaked out now that I've graduated. I'm at home for a bit and then moving to a new city where NONE of my friends from school will be (i.e. not NY). I'm not worried about meeting people there, but I'm worried that none of them will ever be as good friends with me as the people I met and lived with at college for the last four years, mainly because we'll all be working most of the time instead of having random days and nights of adventure. Hell, even when I think of adults, it seems as if most of their best friends are from college or earlier.

Someone tell me this isn't the case.

clubbyjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Dude this is not hard. Figure out what you like to do. Join a club based around that activity. Go to club meetings or whatever. Voila. You have friends that at least have on area of interest that you do.
The reason you're depressed is because all you do is come home and do nothing. It's boring. It's not living. I'd be depressed as well.

This IS the solution and should be wisdom to every person who feels like the OP. You either trust and follow the advice or sit for years til you figure the exact same thing out on your own.

\tI am officially freaked out now that I've graduated. I'm at home for a bit and then moving to a new city where NONE of my friends from school will be (i.e. not NY). I'm not worried about meeting people there, but I'm worried that none of them will ever be as good friends with me as the people I met and lived with at college for the last four years, mainly because we'll all be working most of the time instead of having random days and nights of adventure. Hell, even when I think of adults, it seems as if most of their best friends are from college or earlier.

Someone tell me this isn't the case.
It's not. When you start the friendship from scratch at this older age, you will become even better friends with them. Kinda common sense when you think about it; you know yourself better and can adequately realize who you relate and bond with the most based on personality and common interests. This will trump years of experience of growing up together, I promise.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
I agree that post-college life is just so much better in every way. You have a career, an income, a trajectory you're working on. New hobbies, new skills. More travel, assets, maturity. As a man, 20s dating is better than college, and 30s dating is even better than 20s.
You're just going through a transition. Try to live in a populated area with other young people. Are you in a big city? Time to break out of your sheltered shell.

Like 100% of the times? You may think I am singling you out but the number of pronoucements you manage to make in a few short sentences is astounding.

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
**** this... because of this thread I am staying for a MSc and PhD.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Like 100% of the times? You may think I am singling you out but the number of pronoucements you manage to make in a few short sentences is astounding.

nothing wrong with being positive

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you saying you prefer posts like this:

Originally Posted by ZackyBoy
**** this... because of this thread I am staying for a MSc and PhD.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
are you saying you prefer posts like this:

I don't want to choose between Scylla and Charybdis. We're in a situation where there are other possibilities...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads