• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jackets

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, then, dammit, I'm going to buy it. When I have money again. Which won't be soon.
confused.gif
The model you tried on, when you say 'tight', do you mean 'so tight I should really wear a size up'? Do you think you would've been physically able to fit into a 40? What about without the Polartec liner? How was the sleeve length/overall body length?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
j, If you're willing to wear brown, Leo's Leather Online has the Schott Cafe Racer in size 40 for sale for $290 (I believe the retail price is around $369). Â The return policy sounds fairly flexible if the size 40 doesn't fit.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is an underarm football??

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When I say tight, I mean how I think it should fit for riding, and I wouldn't be able to wear it any tighter. I was wearing a very slim cut mil-surp long sleeve shirt under the jacket and it was snug and comfortable. With any more it would have been binding. And remember, this is a 42, and I was expecting to try a 40. I don't think I could have even zipped up a 40 at the waist (and I'm a 32" waist). So order a size up from your suit size and expect to wear very little underneath. AC: I'm leaning toward the 641: http://legendaryusa.com/product/641 which is in Deluxe Steerhide Leather. The Naked Cowhide is softer, less glossy, and less protective, and about the same price. The one at Leo's is a 141, unfortunately. That is a great deal; other sites still have it for $360. Here's the Naked Cowhide in Mocha that Leo's has for $290, if anyone's interested (they didn't have a pic on their site): http://legendaryusa.com/product/141

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Underarm football apparently refers to the football-shaped piece of leather under the armpit that has vent holes in it. I tried to find an official definition or a detail picture but that's basically it.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I say tight, I mean how I think it should fit for riding, and I wouldn't be able to wear it any tighter. I was wearing a very slim cut mil-surp long sleeve shirt under the jacket and it was snug and comfortable. With any more it would have been binding. And remember, this is a 42, and I was expecting to try a 40. I don't think I could have even zipped up a 40 at the waist (and I'm a 32" waist). So order a size up from your suit size and expect to wear very little underneath. AC: I'm leaning toward the 641: http://legendaryusa.com/product/641 which is in Deluxe Steerhide Leather. The Naked Cowhide is softer, less glossy, and less protective, and about the same price. The one at Leo's is a 141, unfortunately. That is a great deal; other sites still have it for $360. Here's the Naked Cowhide in Mocha that Leo's has for $290, if anyone's interested (they didn't have a pic on their site): http://legendaryusa.com/product/141
I have the same jacket and plan to buy the Easy Rider. I hesitate on the size as mine is 42 but too large on the chest but just on the waits. I asked about the diffence of sizing to Schot, waiting for their reply. Does anyone know where to buy this jacket cheaper than on this site? It is very strong and versatile. Buy it.

Mike

Reaction score
'Cafe Racer' is a term used to denote a sort of motorcycle following that began in the 50s in London of young people who just rode them from cafe to cafe looking cool. The Schott jacket takes the name for the very simple tab collar model, but Vanson uses it to describe some classic snaps-n-zippers types. It also refers to a style of motorcycle, apparently, but I can't figure out exactly what that entails.
The cafe racer motorcycle was a motorcycle built with parts from two different bikes. Someone might use a Norton engine on a Triumph frame or something. It was a British thing, back in the 50s, when the kids who did it didn't have the kind of money to buy a new bike. Mods vs. Greasers, Quadrophenia thing. I saw a thing on TV about it where guys would take their heavily souped up cafe racers and put a song on the jukebox. They then would have to race up to a certain landmark and back before the song was over. So, figure 2 minutes on average. Needless to say they had to go very, very fast.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recomend that you check out the cafe racer jackets at Aero Most styles are quite expensive, but they have a special on the black buffalo, I think they're about 175 GPB. If you haven't seen buffalo hide, I can tell you it's amazing. Very thick and seemingly bulletproof, but soft and flexible enough to mold to your body like a second skin. I have a friend here in L.A. that makes custom leather jackets in the style of the "East West Musical Instruments" jackets from the late 1960's (a cult brand collected in vintage clothing circles that you can see on ebay sometimes). He actually has a big collection of the original East West jackets, some of which were made in buffalo, and he also makes some of his new jackets with new buffalo hides. I tried on some of these jackets, and they felt and looked incredible. He made me a jacket last summer in navy blue steer - I like my jacket, but I still regret that I didn't get it done in buffalo.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
AR-Front-mod.jpg
I think I'm going to buy this. I'm about 90% on the decision. It will be the most expensive (though possibly not most valuable) item of clothing I own. If I wear this to Japan, will I: A: Catch on fire because it's so warm? B: BE on fire because it's so damn HOT? C: Strike fear into the hearts of the populace, who think the ghost of Basswolf has returned? Should I get it?

Brian SD

Reaction score
you will

1) have Japanese women pouring out of your pants all day long
2) get a multi-million dollar advertising contract
3) look bad ass.

buy it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Should I screen the SF logo in white on the back so I can write it off?
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking at these jeans again and I think they are either cheesy, or the coolest I've ever seen. Especially now that Guitar Wolf may be done forever. I don't know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads