• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Law school and the legal sphere (in North America)

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm debating visiting the Moon or Paramus, New Jersey. I have to decide in the next few days.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm debating ********** with Scarlett Johansen or the corpse of Bela Lugosi. I have to decide in the next few days.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm debating getting a baby giraffe or a crack baby. I only have a few days to decide.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm debating going for dinner at Per Se or Burger King. I only have a few days to decide.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm debating winning the lottery or nailing my foot to the floor. I only have a few days to decide.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm debating winning a gold medal or ********** with Bruce Jenner. I only have a few days to decide.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh. Are you suggesting that I'm lying about getting into HYS (it's not all three) or are you suggesting that it is unquestionably a good idea to go? I am a generally cautious and debt averse person and have avoided student loans to this point. I am also painfully aware of the realities of the legal market in the US and I've increasingly seen advice suggesting HYSCCN are no longer safe bets. The Canadian market, conversely, is much safer. I am a dual citizen with ties to both sides of the border, hence the two options.

That is irrelevant though, really. All I'm really asking is whether you guys who are disparaging about LS and legal practice would still go to HYS.

Should I send you my acceptance letters? I'll accept $1000 cash or in kind payment in clothing.

Last edited:

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And (in order) my choices would be moon (obviously), ScarJo, crack baby (gl feeding a grown giraffe), Burger King (because **** "gastronomy"), and Bruce Jenner but only if he has a ****** by then.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No interest in corp transactional. Maybe lit, maybe PI, maybe fed.

No one gives a **** where you went to school if you win your cases. And all the best litigators work for themselves, so they don't have to dick around with some douchebag in HR about their resume. Go to whichever school gives you the most money.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And (in order) my choices would be moon (obviously), ScarJo, crack baby (gl feeding a grown giraffe), Burger King (because **** "gastronomy"), and Bruce Jenner but only if he has a ****** by then.

And your decision making skills suck. Giraffe is way better than a crack baby. You can ride it, and when you get tired of it, you can kill it, eat it, use it's hide to make boots. Good luck doing that with a crack baby. Win a gold medal and you'll get younger, hotter ***** than whatever Bruce will be sporting.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No one gives a **** where you went to school if you win your cases. And all the best litigators work for themselves, so they don't have to dick around with some douchebag in HR about their resume. Go to whichever school gives you the most money.

Thanks. This is good advice. I unfortunately let my $$$ offers expire though (and they weren't significantly better than my grant offers from HYS) so it's down HYS or nothing. I also get the impression that where you went to school really does matter for the entry-level opportunities, which is half the battle for law grads these days.

Any actual constructive advice Harold Falcon? I legitimately want your opinion.

brokencycle

Reaction score

Thanks. This is good advice. I unfortunately let my $$$ offers expire though (and they weren't significantly better than my grant offers from HYS) so it's down HYS or nothing. I also get the impression that where you went to school really does matter for the entry-level opportunities, which is half the battle for law grads these days.

Any actual constructive advice Harold Falcon? I legitimately want your opinion.

I've said it before. Where you goes matters, but ranking is very important. I have seen a lot of people graduate from T14 (but not HYS) who were below the median that struggled to find a job. Again, what is your other option?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where you went does matter, and how much it matters depends on what you want to do. Balancing debt load against job prospects is the critical decision.

I would not listen to SixOhNine, sorry. All the best litigators work for themselves? What do you even mean by that?

~ H

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've said it before. Where you goes matters, but ranking is very important. I have seen a lot of people graduate from T14 (but not HYS) who were below the median that struggled to find a job. Again, what is your other option?

No viable long-term career prospects otherwise. Non-profits and academic work that I have done to date just isn't stable or lucrative. Alternative option is attending law school in Canada, where the market is more stable.

Given my general interest in academia, fed, PI and that I can squeeze 25-35k of grants out of HYS per year... I'm thinking it might be worth the risk... Trick is I couldn't really return to Canada I guess.

Last edited:

kasper007

Reaction score

No viable long-term career prospects otherwise. Non-profits and academic work that I have done to date just isn't stable or lucrative. Alternative option is attending law school in Canada, where the market is more stable.

Given my general interest in academia, fed, PI and that I can squeeze 25-35k of grants out of HYS per year... I'm thinking it might be worth the risk... Trick is I couldn't really return to Canada I guess.

Given you can get that much in grants, it's a bit of a no brainer really. UofT law school tuition is like $30K so it comes out roughtly the same and the HYS name, network, etc is going to open doors UofT won't. You can obviously return to canada, but it involves a bit of test taking + ontario bar. My ex boss wife did her law degree at Oxford and said it wasn't that bad though

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads